Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Starry sky

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Rende
Rende e2 Member 737 forum postsRende vcard Netherlands4 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2009 - 1:52 PM

I was playing around in Photoshop (CS3) and wanted to create a night sky with stars without making each dot individually. I found a useful article here : http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-effects/starry-sky/
I followed the instructions and came up with a lovely starry sky until I flattened the layers, or tried to store it as a jpeg and the shole "sky" turned into a noisy mess. Trying to find out where it went wrong, I found out that it was in levels, where I got the result I wanted by sliding the buttons, but kept losing it all when clicking OK.
Anyone got any idea what I'm doing wrong, or is there a mistake in the instructions?
Rende

P.S. I tried to make a link to the article but it didn't seem to work- sorry about that.

Last Modified By Rende at 22 Feb 2009 - 1:53 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Feb 2009 - 1:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108374 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2009 - 2:32 PM

Link

User_Removed
22 Feb 2009 - 2:54 PM

So what you're saying is, you design your images as opposed to photography.......ok?

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108374 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2009 - 3:00 PM

Oh dear!
Someone's in a bad mood today.

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2009 - 3:30 PM

Quote: So what you're saying is, you design your images as opposed to photography.......ok?

Your point ..?

Anyway I had a go at this tutorial although I'm using Elements - I come to a brick wall when I'm adjusting the levels of the noise layer - I can get it to show a hint of stars (very very fine) but they revert to a sheet of noise when I save.

I may not have the software to cope with this! I have to say though that the stars do look a little odd in the tutorial - perhaps if they were reduced in number one could then carefully dot in the odd constellation ..

Rende
Rende e2 Member 737 forum postsRende vcard Netherlands4 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2009 - 4:15 PM

Thanks for the link Doug!
Laurel, I'm sorry, I don't get what you mean; I wasn't aware that playing in Photoshop is not allowed, or that there is an either or issue.
SuziBlue, yes, that's exactly where I got stuck too in CS3. I agree that they look a bit unnatural, but it was just for a little fun project.
Rende

Last Modified By Rende at 22 Feb 2009 - 4:16 PM
Slippery_Jim
22 Feb 2009 - 4:16 PM

Quote: I have to say though that the stars do look a little odd in the tutorial - perhaps if they were reduced in number one could then carefully dot in the odd constellation ..

Agreed, they look totally unatural. With the level of light pollution from the city you would only be able to see the brightest objects in the sky at best.

Last Modified By Slippery_Jim at 22 Feb 2009 - 4:17 PM
User_Removed
22 Feb 2009 - 5:27 PM

Read it again Bosworth but slower this time and I'm sure you'll understand my point.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 22 Feb 2009 - 5:29 PM
dougv
22 Feb 2009 - 5:35 PM

Quote: I wasn't aware that playing in Photoshop is not allowed, or that there is an either or issue.

There isn't a problem using Photoshop to manipulate images.
There is a category (Digitally Manipulated) specifically for this purpose.

User_Removed
22 Feb 2009 - 5:39 PM

Rende, I think it is good that you are taking an interest in your software and the stars tutorial is a good way to practice several techniques. There will probably be a time when being able to create something from nothing will be necessary to complete a picture or maybe replace something that was damaged in an old photograph for instance.

As for designing pictures everyone who edits in Photoshop or similar will be doing this. Just using the clone tool changes the picture from an original to a modified (redesigned) version. It is just a question of degree. By rights any picture that has been modified should be tagged as "digitally manipulated" but this would apply to 99.99% of all images so not much point.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2009 - 5:40 PM

The finished pic in the tutorial doesn't even look natural, way too many stars, i wouldn't bother.

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Feb 2009 - 5:44 PM

Quote: So what you're saying is, you design your images as opposed to photography.......ok?

When you set up your camera and compose your picture, you are at that point "designing" your image......!

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 22 Feb 2009 - 5:46 PM
User_Removed
22 Feb 2009 - 5:48 PM

In fairness to Laurel Steinbeck the point she was making was that adding a complete new sky made from no other image was in fact designing.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 22 Feb 2009 - 5:52 PM
SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2009 - 5:49 PM

Rende, as you say, you're trying to create a night sky, so I'd go with painting them in or incorporating a sky of stars that you've previously photographed. The noise effect looks too unnatural.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 22 Feb 2009 - 5:52 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2009 - 5:49 PM

If you are not actually using a camera, does this not fall into the Digital Art category rather than Digitally Manipulated?

"Manipulated" suggests you took a photo and did something to it....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.