Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Starting a Photography Holiday Business

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

scottishphototours

I had your idea, tried your idea and failed. I too called it a mid-life crisis...

I had one of the countries TOP photographers tell me I was wonderful at what I did, magazine spreads extolling my business and a raft of returning customers. But that was just as it was all going downhill.

The truth is that the world has since hit the skids, that NOBODY is spending money like they used to and that you'd be MAD to try this in the current economic climate.

Andy

PS - if you don't have an internationally recognised list of photographic letters after your name, you're sunk before you even start....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jul 2012 - 10:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Photo4x4
Photo4x4  10470 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Jul 2012 - 7:52 AM

Quote: I have been running my own business in the UK for over 25 years

Crikey if you'd said that in the first place I could have saved my time teaching granny to suck eggs.

Quote: The truth is that the world has since hit the skids, that NOBODY is spending money like they used to

How true Andy.

Keith Hart

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
9 Jul 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quote: Crikey if you'd said that in the first place I could have saved my time teaching granny to suck eggs.

LOL!!

If you look in the back of virtually any photo mag you will find numerous adverts for photo holidays/courses/tuition. This area of photography seems to have taken off over the last few years. In fact I have the Aug copy of 'Outdoor Photography' here and at a rough count I would say there are at least 25 such ads (plus a full back cover ad for 'Light and Land' which i believe is Joe Cornish's outfit). Personally, assuming you have enough cash without needing to borrow and assuming, as JackallTog says, you have a good business plan then there's no reason why you should fail. Believe me, there's nothing worse than going through the rest of your life with regrets saying 'I wish I'd started that business in France in 2012'.

Quote: The truth is that the world has since hit the skids, that NOBODY is spending money like they used to

Very true but the fact remains that a lot of people still have money to spend (especially photographers it would seem judging by the numerous topics posted by those buying new equipment).

All that aside of course it's not my money and I'm not the one taking risks Smile

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 12:40 PM

Quote: plus a full back cover ad for 'Light and Land' which i believe is Joe Cornish's outfit

Just to set the record straight, although Joe Cornish leads tours for L&L, it's not 'his' outfit. Charlie Waite started the company with, I believe, Sue Bishop.

I think the reason why there are so many companies offering workshops, trips or tuition is that there are a lot of professional photographers out there who are finding it hard to make a buck simply from taking pictures. Add in a bunch of hobbyists who have picked up a bit of a rep on sharing sites and think they can rake in the money with tuition and you have a seriously overcrowded business sector.

I wonder how many of the companies advertising trips etc. in OP are actually making money?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023051 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 12:42 PM

Is that a living or pin money?
Wink

mikehit
mikehit  56492 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 12:44 PM

Quote: If you look in the back of virtually any photo mag you will find numerous adverts for photo holidays/courses/tuition.

What you don't know is whether these businesses are the owners' main source of income or a way of earning extra cash. Nor do you know how many are turning a profit that will support multiple people.

I totally agree with the 'regrets' thing.

rossd
9 Jul 2012 - 4:32 PM

Quote: I think the reason why there are so many companies offering workshops, trips or tuition is that there are a lot of professional photographers out there who are finding it hard to make a buck simply from taking pictures

You're quite right of course but I've noticed that many who advertise (in OP anyway as I'm a subscriber) have been around for a while so I made the assumption that the market is there.

Quote: What you don't know is whether these businesses are the owners' main source of income or a way of earning extra cash. Nor do you know how many are turning a profit that will support multiple people.

Again I agree but the same comment applies namely that (IMO anyway) a market exists. Last year I was interested in a phototour to the US (covering Yellowstone, Tetons etc) but the ones that interested me were fully booked for the year and also into this year (couldn't have afforded it anyway so did it myself for about half the cost Smile.

As for making a living, it obviously depends on the financial circumstances of the individual. I know several people who have sold their homes and bought B&Bs and make a good living but only because they have no mortgage or loans.

I stand corrected about L&L ... obviously wasn't one of the phototour businesses I looked at last year Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 Jul 2012 - 5:10 PM

Try something new

If it fails, then try something else

if it succeeds, then do more of it Smile

I've got a small group who come on my workshops - it's not a living, but I enjoy doing it and make a few quid. Quite a few coming on the Strobist workshop on Sunday - so that'll probably pay this month's mortgage....

scottishphototours

As much as I believe there are photographers who have money to spend on such holidays, there simply aren't enough. The work and expense involved in marketing yourself to the masses is not to be underestimated alone - and to get people to go to the Dordogne maybe even harder than getting people to come to Scotland!

rossd
9 Jul 2012 - 7:24 PM

@scottishphototours

I ran my own (non-photographic) business in Cornwall in the early 90's and it was bl***y hard! In the end I gave up after 3 years (luckily still solvent!) and went back into full time employment (aircraft maintenance business) so I can appreciate your comments. However, if you've got an itch it's got to be scratched. I have no regrets and I'm glad I had the experience. Personally, I admire those who have the balls to go for it and chase their dream.
I hope it works out for you.

Lowestoftis
10 Jul 2012 - 11:52 AM

Thanks again to everyone for their advice. I have been an entrepeneur all my life, so it's in my blood now, and the risk and hard work is what gets me out of bed in the morning. If it all goes belly up, I'll come back home and stack shelves in Tesco for a few years before trying something crazy all over again.

Gary

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014817 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jul 2012 - 1:14 PM

If you can get people there, that's what counts Wink

Bit of a black art from what I can see lol

Lowestoftis
10 Jul 2012 - 1:58 PM

Thanks Ade, I like your attitude.

Gary

scottishphototours

Quote: @scottishphototours

I ran my own (non-photographic) business in Cornwall in the early 90's and it was bl***y hard! In the end I gave up after 3 years (luckily still solvent!) and went back into full time employment (aircraft maintenance business) so I can appreciate your comments. However, if you've got an itch it's got to be scratched. I have no regrets and I'm glad I had the experience. Personally, I admire those who have the balls to go for it and chase their dream.
I hope it works out for you.

Thanks, glad that I too had the experience to try something that I loved doing and had the support of my wife to allow me to do it. Never ever wanted to be on the death bed thinking that it was something I really should have tried!

We ended up diversifying back to the other thing I was good at - people photgraphy. The weddings side has exploded and we're very busy, so couldn't be happier.

croberts
croberts  102160 forum posts Ireland8 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 1:07 AM

Theres a long history of photogs who cant make a living making pictures, trying to make a living teaching. Its the same in all sorts of other creative fields. The business is f**ked.. Keep struggling on, and hang on for your life, to your regular clients!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.