Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

Starting a website

Craig99999 5 19 1 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2014 5:33PM
Hi, Im looking to start a website, does anyone have any advise as to which company to use or not use for hosting

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB 3 1.1k United Kingdom
20 Feb 2014 6:03PM
jemraid 9 45 England
20 Feb 2014 6:23PM
I use Kompozer to create web pages: http://www.kompozer.net/ it's a wysiwig word processor type HTML creator and is free.

I use $1 PM hosting to host the site and they also host my domain for $9 PA.

To create an album I use Web Album Generator: http://www.ornj.net/webalbum/ also free.

Its well worth learning how to do this because you can create a bespoke site for yourself. If you Craig or anyone would like to pursue this further I would gladly do a screencast of how to do it, it's a lot easier than you think Smile

Jem
20 Feb 2014 7:03PM
Try weebly.com free and simple, then if you like it buy your own domain name.
SlowSong Plus
6 4.9k 29 England
20 Feb 2014 7:06PM
Photium is a classy looking set-up but Weebly does a great job too. I used both and think I found WEEBLY slightly easier to use but preferred the look of Photium.
779HOB 3 1.1k United Kingdom
20 Feb 2014 7:55PM
What you get from Photium is great customer service and tech support. I don't use them for my gallery as I don't think theirs is the best but I think they are worth the 80 a year I pay.
20 Feb 2014 8:04PM
Give http://www.foliopic.com a try. Created by the same team who has brought you a very well known photography community.
20 Feb 2014 9:51PM
I have used servercentre.net for the past 8 years, never had any problems and I have a number of websites with them. Cost is about 50 per year with prompt customer service should you ever need it.
20 Feb 2014 9:52PM
Craig9999 are you looking to build your own or use a web builder online service?
puertouk Plus
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2014 9:49AM
Try iPage. They are cheap and have live help 24/7. Easy to set up and you have a great choice on what you can build your site with.
scottishphototours 11 2.6k 2 Scotland
21 Feb 2014 11:20AM
Another vote for Photium from me...
ade_mcfade Plus
10 15.1k 216 England
21 Feb 2014 11:50AM
100's of great wordpress themes out there these days... all flavours and varieties catered for

but go for foliopic and help out the guys if you're not up for making your own site Wink
Another vote for Foliopic for me - I found it is easy to use and layout options very flexible

Mike
micra chameleon photography
Chant57 Plus
9 392 3 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2014 8:42PM
Another vote for Foliopic
Just started my own website www.patrick-elsender-foto.eu. Through Foliopic. Great service and help from Rick Hanson. Bought mt domain from 123reg. No complaints they were also very good with my queries. If they can handle the questions of a 70 year old that has a very limited knowledge of computers then they get 100% marks from me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.