Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Starting my own website

clintQB 3 51 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 9:50PM
Does anybody have any advice on starting up my own website...to be honest i dont know much about the subject......which are the best website companies to go with?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 9:55PM
Have a look at Photium.
Really easy to build and easy to use.
Very good value for very little money plus and most importantly, the backup is second to none!
Worth a look.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
27 Aug 2012 10:45PM
I've started "doing" websites for people - reasonably simple WordPress based ones.

What do you need your website to do? a little paragraph maybe on what you'd use it for would give us an idea of what the best solution is
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
27 Aug 2012 11:12PM
We produce foliopic which is a template based system and integrates with your epz portfolio. Have a try with the free demo. And this a site I set up using it: pete.foliopic.com
Paul_Anthony 2 385 4 Wales
28 Aug 2012 7:23PM
We use Photium for our wedding website and World Press for our blog, can't fault either of them.

We also use On Line Picture Proof for image proofing and you get a 'free' website with them if you use them also.

We have been looking at Blu Domain websites as their templates look stunning, but as the customer service and ease of use is so good with the other two, it's a difficult choice to move away from them.

Clikpic sites are also very popular and easy to use.

Paul
5 Sep 2012 10:07PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestion, sorry it took so long to reply......i think i might be going with Blu domain....ill let you know if its any good when i eventually do it
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
5 Sep 2012 10:11PM
Oh wow, that Blu Domain looks stunning!!!!
DannoM 6 58 England
5 Sep 2012 10:27PM
Google bludomain, reviews are not good I'm afraid:
(
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
5 Sep 2012 11:29PM
Do flash websites work well on iPad and iPhones?
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 12:29AM
This Flash site works great on iPad and iPhone
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 9:00AM
Take a look at Joomla too, there are some great templates and loads of extensions to use, some specifically for galleries. There is a shopping cart if you want to sell your images. Best of all you don't need to know anything about html, css or php to use it.

There is a membership based site called RocketTheme, from which you can get some brilliant stuff. I am using the Diametrik template for a site I am building, it uses the 960 grid which is the modern way of laying out a site and it has full mobile support.

Ian
Paul_Anthony 2 385 4 Wales
6 Sep 2012 10:56AM

Quote:Oh wow, that Blu Domain looks stunning!!!!

Yeah, they look cool, just a bit curious about all the other stuff:

Ease of Use,
S.E.O
Customer Service.
etc.
7 Sep 2012 8:12PM
wow.... definitely not going with blu domain, dont think ive ever seen that many bad reviews for anything...ever lol
DannoM 6 58 England
7 Sep 2012 8:36PM
agree, shame as the sites they supply look great
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
7 Sep 2012 8:43PM
Just to add another to the mix I use Weebly. It's not the most sophisticated but it is pretty easy to master. There are a huge number of templates and it's free if you don't need anything too fancy or mind having a .weebly.com URL. You can get a site up and running in no time at all.

If you want to see my site the link is accessed via my portfolio . It's not a photography site but is an image archive so you would get an idea of how a photography site might look. I'm currently nearing the end of a big re-vamp so you may encounter the odd gallery that works differently to all the rest. I'm hoping to get if finished tomorrow or Sunday.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.