Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Starting my own website

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
clintQB
clintQB  351 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 - 9:50 PM

Does anybody have any advice on starting up my own website...to be honest i dont know much about the subject......which are the best website companies to go with?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Aug 2012 - 9:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
27 Aug 2012 - 9:55 PM

Have a look at Photium.
Really easy to build and easy to use.
Very good value for very little money plus and most importantly, the backup is second to none!
Worth a look.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 27 Aug 2012 - 9:57 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2012 - 10:45 PM

I've started "doing" websites for people - reasonably simple WordPress based ones.

What do you need your website to do? a little paragraph maybe on what you'd use it for would give us an idea of what the best solution is

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2012 - 11:12 PM

We produce foliopic which is a template based system and integrates with your epz portfolio. Have a try with the free demo. And this a site I set up using it: pete.foliopic.com

Paul_Anthony
28 Aug 2012 - 7:23 PM

We use Photium for our wedding website and World Press for our blog, can't fault either of them.

We also use On Line Picture Proof for image proofing and you get a 'free' website with them if you use them also.

We have been looking at Blu Domain websites as their templates look stunning, but as the customer service and ease of use is so good with the other two, it's a difficult choice to move away from them.

Clikpic sites are also very popular and easy to use.

Paul

Last Modified By Paul_Anthony at 28 Aug 2012 - 7:25 PM
clintQB
5 Sep 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestion, sorry it took so long to reply......i think i might be going with Blu domain....ill let you know if its any good when i eventually do it

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2012 - 10:11 PM

Oh wow, that Blu Domain looks stunning!!!!

DannoM
DannoM  556 forum posts England
5 Sep 2012 - 10:27 PM

Google bludomain, reviews are not good I'm afraid:
(

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2012 - 11:29 PM

Do flash websites work well on iPad and iPhones?

User_Removed
6 Sep 2012 - 12:29 AM

This Flash site works great on iPad and iPhone

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 9:00 AM

Take a look at Joomla too, there are some great templates and loads of extensions to use, some specifically for galleries. There is a shopping cart if you want to sell your images. Best of all you don't need to know anything about html, css or php to use it.

There is a membership based site called RocketTheme, from which you can get some brilliant stuff. I am using the Diametrik template for a site I am building, it uses the 960 grid which is the modern way of laying out a site and it has full mobile support.

Ian

Paul_Anthony
6 Sep 2012 - 10:56 AM

Quote: Oh wow, that Blu Domain looks stunning!!!!

Yeah, they look cool, just a bit curious about all the other stuff:

Ease of Use,
S.E.O
Customer Service.
etc.

clintQB
7 Sep 2012 - 8:12 PM

wow.... definitely not going with blu domain, dont think ive ever seen that many bad reviews for anything...ever lol

DannoM
DannoM  556 forum posts England
7 Sep 2012 - 8:36 PM

agree, shame as the sites they supply look great

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2012 - 8:43 PM

Just to add another to the mix I use Weebly. It's not the most sophisticated but it is pretty easy to master. There are a huge number of templates and it's free if you don't need anything too fancy or mind having a .weebly.com URL. You can get a site up and running in no time at all.

If you want to see my site the link is accessed via my portfolio. It's not a photography site but is an image archive so you would get an idea of how a photography site might look. I'm currently nearing the end of a big re-vamp so you may encounter the odd gallery that works differently to all the rest. I'm hoping to get if finished tomorrow or Sunday.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.