Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

startrails

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    swanseajack41
    20 Jan 2012 - 4:49 PM

Is there a startrails (or equivalent) in CS 5 /
    paul

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Jan 2012 - 4:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Zatoichi
    Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Jan 2012 - 4:55 PM

Do you mean an image stack application?

swanseajack41
    20 Jan 2012 - 5:25 PM

Ummmm, yes ?

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2012 - 5:42 PM

Without any additions copy and past each star photo to a new layer, convert each of the layers above the base layer to lighten. This is a slow process if you have dozens to merge. If you know how to create an action, record the process and then you can use that action in future. If you don't understand actions, there are a few floating around on the web that you can download for free (here's one Star Trails Action) and place in your actions folder to do star trails.

Last Modified By Pete at 20 Jan 2012 - 5:46 PM
    KTrueman
    KTrueman  2 United Kingdom
    20 Jan 2012 - 5:52 PM

I personally wouldn't bother using anything other than startrails.exe which is downloadable for free.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2012 - 6:02 PM

Can you tell me why you would stack a number of images rather than just keep the shutter open for an hour?

Is this a kind of anti HDR type thing where the moving light trails are the only things really kept from frame to frame?

justin c
    justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2012 - 6:11 PM

Quote: Can you tell me why you would stack a number of images rather than just keep the shutter open for an hour?

To minimize noise in the image.

Zatoichi
    Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Jan 2012 - 6:11 PM

Quote: I personally wouldn't bother using anything other than startrails.exe which is downloadable for free.

Yep.

Quote: Can you tell me why you would stack a number of images rather than just keep the shutter open for an hour?

Sensor heating - noise?

KTrueman
    KTrueman  2 United Kingdom
    20 Jan 2012 - 6:14 PM

Is this a kind of anti HDR type thing where the moving light trails are the only things really kept from frame to frame?

A number of images are stacked together to reduce the noise on the final image. Also if you have the shutter open for an hour and you have excessive glare from objects that don't look that bright to look at but after an hour produce quite alot of reflective light. Dark frames are also taken by putting the lens cap back on and taking a few more images. When these are staked into the image they remove the hot pixels that are caused by the sensor getting hot whilst doing the long exposure.

I usually stack every image in its entirety and make any adjustments to the final image.

I hope i haven't rambled and everything makes sense.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2012 - 6:16 PM

Many thanks - You can almost learn something new here every day.
    Much appreciated to all of you Smile

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jan 2012 - 6:23 PM

In case the battery runs out 59m into a 1h exposure.

Better to have 5 x 10min exposures then no exposure at all.

To merge the images, stack them as layers in Photoshop, then set blending mode to 'screen'

Last Modified By mattw at 20 Jan 2012 - 6:23 PM
    swanseajack41
    21 Jan 2012 - 2:15 PM

thanx all

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.