Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Staying in Beddgelert, N Wales and looking for photo locations.

derekhansen e2
6 187 24 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2009 9:02PM
Hi everyone,

I am holidaying in Beddgelert for a week starting this coming Saturday. Obviously having done some research and weather permitting I am hoping to get some really good Landscape shots. What I lack is local knowledge and just wondered if anyone who lives in the area ( or anyone who has visited Snowdonia) has some suggestions on where to concentrate my efforts.
Many thanks
Derek

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NeilS e2
7 903 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2009 9:09PM
Portmerion is worth a visit, if you get there early not many people about, and if you like eating posh lunches book a table at the hotel on the quayside, you get in free then. If you do that check out the turquoise lounge. They have great gardens as well
derekhansen e2
6 187 24 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2009 9:32PM
Thanks Neil. Portmerion is definitely somewhere we would like to visit.
mad-dogs 12 2.2k England
8 Sep 2009 10:14PM
Search the forums for Snowdonia - there have been plenty of posts covering locations.
StuartAt e2
9 1.0k 6 England
8 Sep 2009 10:35PM
Just returned from that area myself. Beddgelert itself is rather nice and there are some wonderful places for landscapes not far away. It is worth jumping in the car and doing a circuit of Snowdon itself, to see the Llanberis Pass and some other wonderful scenery.

If you feel energetic you could even tackle the mountain itself (on foot) or get the train up (if you are feeling rich!). One place worth a look is Fairy Glen near Betws Y Coed. Bit awkward to find (look for the Fairy Glen Hotel) and a short and slightly challenging walk, but the glen itself is well worth it.

Caernarfon is worth a visit, particularly in the evening for floodlit views of the castle (see my pf) without the crowds, although I think it is probably quieter now than it was three weeks ago when I went.
saxon_image 10 282 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2009 10:36PM
Well the whole of the Aberglaslyn Pass, reputed to be one of the best landscape locations in Snowdonia is literally on your doorstep, complete with the Welsh Highland Railway and those amazing Garrett locos.

Paul
Glostopcat e2
8 235 2 England
8 Sep 2009 10:46PM
Penrhyn Castle near Bangor, the Menai Bridge and Angelsey are all worth a visit if you want to go a bit further afield
whipspeed e2
10 4.0k 22 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2009 10:58PM
Lovely place, spent our honeymoon at the Royal Goat Hotel & went back a couple of years ago for our 20th anniversary. Lovely walks around there.
derekhansen e2
6 187 24 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2009 9:01AM
Many thanks, NeilS, Mad-dogs, StuartAt, Saxon_image, Glostopcat and whipspeed. I appreciate your taking the time to help. I am really looking forward to the holiday and hope to be posting some images from the 21st Sept.
Derek
paulett 5 19 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2009 7:10PM
HI derek.
we go to this area a lot thake a look at my pics of snowden
they may inspire you to walk up,
have a nice holiday.

paula.
Chris_H 11 1.5k 1
9 Sep 2009 7:56PM
Just got back from the area myself and although its pretty it does rain a lot. Every time I have been in the last few years the weather has been crap.

One place I fell in love with was Rhosydd slate mine, I kept going back three days in a row even though everyday I got soaked. I kept revisiting hoping for it to stop raining. Its a long hard walk but is worth it, there are loads of remains of the slate industry including lots of abandoned cottages and lots of fantastic ruins and debris all around.

Well worth it if you dont mind getting wet and a long hard walk, the rain was bizare, everywhere else around it was sunny but as the area is so high it just kept raining.

Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.