Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

stealing photos

11 Jun 2012 6:06PM
i figured this would be most appropriate here

my image
stolen2.jpg

and the (very poorly) edited version i found online
stolen.jpg

is there anything i can do about this? ive sent the original editor (well, as far as i can tell) a nice email saying he can either pay me for the photo or i could take legal action.. but what action can i legally take?
i know in canada that i automatically have copyright over my own images.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Jun 2012 6:08PM
stolen3.jpg

i guess i sourced the wrong original (i was shooting with bracketing)
11 Jun 2012 7:41PM
new development: i found it on a site being sold as t-shirts now too..
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Jun 2012 7:55PM
Of course it is theft and of course you are right to feel aggrieved.

But, generally, the cost of pursuing a claim is much more than any damages you might receive.

Really, the sad fact of the matter is that if you don't want an image stolen, then don't put it anywhere on the internet.

More pragmatically, only put very low-res versions on the internet so that, even if it is stolen, it can only be used on other websites and not for any serious commercial purposes.
11 Jun 2012 10:12PM
Now I've found it on weheartit as well (notified the site of copyright violation, so it wont be there much longer)
as well as about 5000 blogs.. meaning it made it to roughly 25 000 + eyes.. with "****" instead of my name on it

I'm a little bitter about this and plan to do everything i can to the little bastards. I also intend to inform their ("them" being the editor, and company selling shirts) website hosting services that they are violating copyright which will in turn shut their sites down. I also intend to tell the company selling shirts that if they would like to purchase the image they are welcome, but I expect royalties as well.
arhb e2
7 2.4k 68 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2012 10:24PM
This link shows that it is possible to get some compensation when images are used without permission.
scartlane 3 68 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2012 8:36AM
this seems to be a little worrying trend!

Im completly naive about this stuff and just assume that my pics are not good enough or in enough places to steal,
how do you go about finding images that might have been stolen? is it word of mouth? some kind of search engine?
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
12 Jun 2012 8:40AM

Quote:This seems to be a little worrying trend!

Im completly naive about this stuff and just assume that my pics are not good enough or in enough places to steal,
how do you go about finding images that might have been stolen? is it word of mouth? some kind of search engine?

You can either copy the link to one of your pictures into the search window of google images or use Tineye software .

Malc
scartlane 3 68 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2012 9:06AM
ah right, that makes sense lol,
ill give it a shot
NathanS 9 88 England
12 Jun 2012 2:09PM
I know a couple of photographers (semi pros) who charge anyone who use one of their images without permission twice their normal rate. Generally I think people pay up when they demand the money.

But I think there is also the need to appreciate what may happen when you put a photo online. If you put a photo online many people see it as being in the public domain, and it may very easily be used on a blog, or shared in other ways such a pintrest. (I am not saying I agree with that I'm just saying it is what is happening) But I am sure that most commercial organisations know fine wekk that it is not in the public domain.

So my advice is to echo the advice above and only post low res images on line. You could also make sure the image has "Copyright of [your name]" written on it and even a link to your website or your photos on Epz - that way if anyone shares your images elsewhere it is a least publicity for you. And if there is anything you really do not want to end up being shared more widely than where you upload it to don't put it online.

With respect to commercial use of your images (including marketing and publicity use) I would always persue it and name and shame the organisations to steal your images. With respect to bloggers and other sharing of your images I'd just be glad that someone is appreciating them.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2012 2:19PM
Also from EPUK this is worth a read
thewilliam 6 4.7k
12 Jun 2012 8:03PM
It may not be a case of image theft. Was the pic taken in an area where tourists frequently go? If so, it could have been taken by another photographer standing near the OP or somebody who visited at some other time. I notice that the sky is slightly different in the other version.

Many pretty places, such as Yosemite, have permanent tripod marks where many thousands of snappers have tried to emulate Uncle Ansel!
12 Jun 2012 8:13PM
i am 100% positive that is my image. as you can see in the 2nd post i corrected the image as i was using braketed exposure.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
12 Jun 2012 8:49PM
In that case, gather proof and demand a repro fee from the thief. Is he/she in the same country?
12 Jun 2012 9:22PM
I am still awaiting contact from one of them (the other contacted me stating he took the picture from another site with no knowledge that it violated copyright, he was kind enough to ask if i would like it taken down though, to which i responded just credit it and he can leave it up.. so i need to track down the editor) the one im waiting on is the one selling the image on shirts. i believe they are in a different country, but on the same continent.
i intend to invoice the site selling shirts (and will find the contact info if the person does not contact me so that i can contact them directly).

personally, i dont mind it going around blog sites, its why i started my photography blog ( www.blog.tierataylorphotography.com ).. but when it starts going around without credit and a poor edit im not as happy about it.. and when it starts being sold by a 3rd party without my consent, or even knowledge, then im understandably less happy.

thanks for all the replies thus far, ill be sure to keep this updated as it unfolds

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.