Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Steve Irwin Attacked in the Press

Westers 10 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
2 Nov 2006 9:41PM
Interview in the Radio Times reported on Yahoo here .

Ok, so he was mad as a box of frogs, but I don't really think the comments were called for, especially as the guy's not here to defend himself.

So what if he was a showman? He introduced a lot of people to the animal world.

Sad.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2006 10:05PM
Jealousness on Alastair Fothergill's part i think, Irwin was a showman for sure with his flambouyant personallity but that was what made him so entertaining.
2 Nov 2006 10:10PM
Somewhat uncalled for I agree.

Never heard of Alastair Fothergill, anyway.

jas
2 Nov 2006 10:12PM
That was what I thought. It all smacked of sour grapes and jealousy...dunno why wildlife shooting should attract so much of it.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
2 Nov 2006 10:14PM
Any kind of photography can attract jealousy not just wildlife!
2 Nov 2006 10:17PM
Yeah! Everybody's jealous of my pics!

(My biggest joke to date!!!) LOL!

jas
Bowley 9 79 England
2 Nov 2006 10:18PM
whats with the random outbreak on steve irwan?

Yes agree, uncalled for.
2 Nov 2006 10:19PM
True Pete, true...and you have first hand experience!!
;o)
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
2 Nov 2006 10:53PM
Haven't we all.
hobbs 10 1.2k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2006 11:26PM
I have no issue with what he has said and don't think it's down to being jealous. I agree with the crux of what he say's and that is filming or photographing wildlife is about getting it behaving in it's natural way and not inducing a response from the subject.

Don't get me wrong Steve Irwin was very sucessfull at getting peoples interest I just didn't approve of the way he did it.
2 Nov 2006 11:31PM
I just think that the guys timing was wrong - a little insensitive so soon after Irwin's death.
2 Nov 2006 11:46PM
Yep, and why didn't he say it to Irwin's face instead of doing it when he's dead?
tepot 10 4.4k United Kingdom
2 Nov 2006 11:48PM

Quote:filming or photographing wildlife is about getting it behaving in it's natural way and not inducing a response from the subject.

All Steve did was to get his subjects to respond naturally when provoked, if he hadn't been the provoker it would have been another creature that p!ssed the snake off and made it strike!
2 Nov 2006 11:50PM
I don't know and how do you know he didn't. It's only been reported because he has died and the news think it's controversal.
2 Nov 2006 11:56PM
So provoking an animal that under normal circumstances you wouldn't to try and get a response is right because you think it would entertain / educate the public. I have a lot more respect for photographers and film makers who actually wait to get the natural reaction caused by the meeting of prey or predator. You should never induce stress on wildlife were it can be avoided.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.