Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Still life help

shannron 8 97 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2008 1:32PM
I am to submit a creatively lit still life object/s for my college assesment NEXT WEEK!! but unfortunately my get up and go has trully gotten up and left the building..

After many many failed attempts to create something half decent ive yet to capture something that id class as worthy let alone creative :-(

I really want to sway away from the rest of the class who are shooting flowers...blah!... dont get me wrong I did attempt the water droplet stacked image thing but it fell flat.

Any input/help would be greatly appreciated, any links or articles are also greatly appreaciated!!!

Sharon x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
20 Feb 2008 1:38PM
Not really hot on still life, but maybe arrange some household furniture together to create some funky shapes.

Or maybe you have seen the M&S (i think this is the right store) Christmas advert where a big montage of everyday objects were used to create a siluoette of a young girl with her dog next to her? Maybe something like that? Sounds creatively lit to me!

Anil
mikeweeks 10 954 3 England
20 Feb 2008 1:54PM
one theme that I have seen is a collection of memories such as a photo of grandad, his medals, pipe etc. Look for something where you can put together a number of items that meet a theme. At the simple side just a couple of forks intertwined where the shadows become important.

mike
emmaS 8 41 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2008 4:24PM
I suffer from the flower bug but there are some cracking still life shots of household objects on here - everything from cutlery, sweets, fruit, ice pops, feathers, candles, christmas decorations... I could go on and on. Search the galleries and you should find loads of inspiration.
HTHs
Emma
Lawrence 11 195 1 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2008 4:29PM

Look at member iscramble-- the shot of apples. Easy to do and effective
20 Feb 2008 4:31PM
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2008 4:32PM
Chocolates a good one, broken and melting & oozing everywhere, you get some good textures.
bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
20 Feb 2008 4:32PM

Quote:here

Link doesnt work...?
20 Feb 2008 4:34PM
Sorry cant do links
.Look at member ISCRAMBLE portfolio
Lawrence
20 Feb 2008 4:52PM
Try this link
At last this link works
macroman 11 15.3k England
22 Feb 2008 10:42AM
Creatively lit still life?

One suggestion, Try underlighting your subject, by using a sheet of glass/polycarbonate, clear/opal/textured placed on on blocks/boxes with the light underneath it and secondary lighting from above.

You need to experiment with the angle and distance of the lights, but that's part of the learning curve.

You could also try coloured glass if available.

Translucent objects can be very effective, such as slices of oranges, lemons, kiwis, cucumber, lettuce etc.
FatHandedChap 8 1.3k England
22 Feb 2008 10:55AM
Take a look in local charity shops/junk stores and see if you can find any inspirational items. I ended up with a cobblers shoe last and some old shoes and created a work bench type set up with tools and lots of dust, lit as if evening sun was coming in through a window.

Failing that have a look in magazines at some of the advertising shots of things like watches or beauty products and see if you can gain any inspiration there.

Good luck

Tony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.