Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Still waiting for my 450D.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
28 Apr 2008 - 12:27 PM

From a quick net search, all the outlets with the 450D's at lower prices are awaiting stock.

Also my local dealer hinted that Canon are controling the supply of cameras at launch more these days.

It could be to slow down the point where the price drops to the 400D price.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points

I do agree with John on this one. I would choose a 40D over a 450D anytime.

ckristoff
ckristoff  10938 forum posts Wales
28 Apr 2008 - 2:34 PM

Friends,

thank you all so very much for all your valuable contributions. I really do appreciate the time you've spent on my querie.

However, if I waited until tomorrow, I wouldn't need to have started this post at all!

I just happened to check my account with 7Dayshop, and lo and behold, it has been dispatched!! So I'm hoping to receive it within the next couple of days.

I'm feeling a little nervous now. I've got to put my brain into gear now and learn how to use my new toy - in a digital sort of way! Smile

As always dear friends, thank you!!

Frank.

strawman
28 Apr 2008 - 2:44 PM

Have fun and remember you do not have to crack all the mysteries of the camera in one day.

I found that it took a bit of time to get used to digital. expect to spend a few days just getting images to the standard you had film at.

ckristoff
28 Apr 2008 - 7:57 PM

Strawman,

remember, you're talking to the Frankman! Smile

One day? One year more like, and the rest. Even on my Eos 3, I still haven't figured out everything it can do! I'm not joking!!

Frank.

strawman
29 Apr 2008 - 12:07 AM

Frank it took me till yesterday to work out that I could move between selected focus points by using the little joy stick like pad.

I have only had the camera about 6 months Smile

How many other secrets lie hidden?

Anyway, my initial dSLR shots gave me concern as I did not understand the level of sharpening required. It is worth spending a bit of time testing the picture styles if you are going to shoot JPEG rather than RAW at first. I found the landscape one good, but its a personal taste thing.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2008 - 8:32 AM

Quote: it took me till yesterday to work out that I could move between selected focus points by using the little joy stick like pad

LOL...
You can use the back wheel to do that as well, and I found it easier.

strawman
29 Apr 2008 - 8:58 AM

Ah I knew about the wheel, but once mastered the little joystick thingy is fast. :-0

Coleslaw
29 Apr 2008 - 9:00 AM

I found it difficult to get to where I want it to be sometimes (even though I have been using this method since 20D), it is easier to turn the wheel quickly....Smile

ckristoff
29 Apr 2008 - 11:47 AM

Yes,
I certainly will take my time to get to know the machine. If I get stuck, I have a friend who can help me.

7Dayshop emailed me today to confirm the completed order and despatch, allow 7 days delivery. Sad I've paid there high postage rate, so I see no reason why it shouldn't arrive tomorrow.

Friends, if I get stuck, I know who to call - Ephotozine - ghostbusters of a photographic fashion! Smile

Frank.

pennyspike
pennyspike  112068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
29 Apr 2008 - 9:58 PM

Now that's done can you chase mine up please? Smile

ckristoff
1 May 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hello friends,

my 450D did indeed arrive yesterday morning. I was impressed by the charger charging the battery in 2 hours!

After lunch went to Newport Gwent for the afternoon/evening. I was impressed by being able to take photos indoors without flash, because I simply couldn't locate the flash pop-up button. I believe I managed to set the white balance to tungston lighting. It looked quite good.

The 450D is smaller and lighter than my Eos 3, but I think it is to my advantage. I think one thing the 450D will do, is make damn sure I make more use of the tripod, otherwise my horizons will be vertical! Smile

I need to spend time in learning all the different settings. My intention is to use mainly Raw, and I don't see the point of live view, when the view finder already does a good job.

Another thing I need to do is get used to using my ND grad filters.

Now the fun starts!

Frank.

strawman
1 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

Live view is a bonus for manual focusing, especially mounted on a tripod. Plus it adds a mirror lock up function as well. Then there is the moving area metering as well.

ckristoff
2 May 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hi Strawman,

I'll have to check it out.

Perhaps I haven't turned the page!! Smile

Frank.

ckristoff
4 May 2008 - 4:36 PM

Friends,

I've downloaded the software to the pc. Next I try to connect the camera to the pc, hoping to download about 80 jpeg images. Somehow about 20 images appear and I don't know what's happened to the rest.

Here I am, trying to figure our digi stuff, without having a clue how to go about it!

Frank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.