Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stitched Up Lips

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71945 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Apr 2013 - 5:19 PM

I'm not thin skinned or given to being offended but the picture of the woman with a stitched up mouth used in an ad feature for the Olympus OM-D on the home page of ePZ at the moment is to my eyes demeaning and unpleasant.

What are meant to be the implications of this picture? I had hoped we had got beyond this kind of pictorial abuse of women but it seems not. There are many excellent women photographers on this site and they don't deserve to be faced with an insulting image like this.

Or maybe I'm in a minority of one and my mouth should be stitched up like the woman's in the pic Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Apr 2013 - 5:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105168 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 5:29 PM

Regardless how technically advanced photography becomes it's doomed to remain in the dark ages.

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 5:47 PM

Being a little more open minded and reading the Blurb to go with it does mention that he photographs Those with fetishes so are you not insulting the person who may decide that is what they want to do, and sew there lips up.

Quote: Damian has been using an Olympus OM-D to create some of the most visually and technically stunning fashion, fetish and glamour portraits out there today.

Tbh not my cup of tea either but if a fetish is what is it then fair enough, Just another way of looking at it!

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44037 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 5:50 PM

Quote:

There are many excellent women photographers on this site and they don't deserve to be faced with an insulting image like this.

So far, not one person, regardless of gender, has reported the image.

Why not e-mail the photographer and ask what he means are the implications of this picture. If he answers, I look forward to reading how he sees this image. He is, after all, an above average photographer.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 20 Apr 2013 - 5:50 PM
ikett
ikett  4352 forum posts England
20 Apr 2013 - 6:15 PM

A bit bemused by the OP comment,

Quote: So far, not one person, regardless of gender, has reported the image.

It's make up, good make up but make up, thought provoking possibly, amusing maybe, offensive?

monstersnowman
20 Apr 2013 - 6:16 PM

I haven't got a problem with it at all.

KevSB
20 Apr 2013 - 6:22 PM

Quote: So far, not one person, regardless of gender, has reported the image

You Obviously have now.

It does open a question in my mind, Had this been a male would the op have complained then, Not a criticism but genuine curiosity.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 6:23 PM

Quote: Or maybe I'm in a minority of one

Make that 2 Lemmy....!!! But purely because it is a tad hideous along with your take as well.

Well I am not complaining as I am not a complaining whining type of person , Doubt Lemmy is either, Simply stating it as we see it.

Quote: Why not e-mail the photographer

Can't be bothered, He is bound to have a great long winded take of justification for it, Or he would not have conceived, Taken & produced it.

So it all comes down to a matter of taste, Personal preferences, Not forgetting that great line that photography is such a subjective subject, That its a case of one mans meat and all that jazz.

Whatever, Lemmy, Myself and anyone else is surely allowed to air our judgement, No matter who is behind the masterpiece.

Fetish Smetish.....Tongue

lemmy
lemmy  71945 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Apr 2013 - 6:31 PM

Quote: Why not e-mail the photographer and ask what he means are the implications of this picture.

I didn't express a view of how he sees it, I expressed my view. Obviously we would see it differently.

I can't see what difference it being make-up makes. I am commenting on what the picture expresses to me, not whether someone was physically damaged in the making of it, which is too silly to even discuss, actually. Sewing up a woman's lips, amusing? Each to their own I suppose. I'm glad spaceman eloquently expresses agreement with me. He said it better than I did. This strikes me as the kind of imagery we should have grown out of in the 21st century.

By the way, if anyone wants to see fetishist photography, they should take a look at Helmut Newton's work. It is superb but expresses the power of the females in the pictures rather than the desire to shut them up. And is in no way offensive, genuine art, genuinely erotic.

I am happy enough that most people won't agree with me, like I said maybe I'm over-sensitive.

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 7:27 PM

Quote: This strikes me as the kind of imagery we should have grown out of in the 21st century.

Been done a million times before... you only have to google "stitched lips" to find a list of ps tutorials, make-up tips, and images of all types.

What is the big deal with fetish photography? Don't quite understand what the "Big Dog" is saying? Apart from Helmut Newton, Bob Carlos Clarke and many others of his era knew what latex was and how to photograph it... It's so last century, darling.

different?

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44037 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 7:32 PM

You Obviously have now.

It does open a question in my mind, Had this been a male would the op have complained then, Not a criticism but genuine curiosity.

Commented, but not reported.

I too wondered if the OP would have commented had the image been a male instead of a female.

KevSB
20 Apr 2013 - 7:42 PM

You Obviously have now.

Commented, but not reported.

I too wondered if the OP would have commented had the image been a male instead of a female.

This was not in any way against the op, but how would the exact image with a male be responded to, for example "demeaning and unpleasant."

"excellent Male photographers on this site and they don't deserve to be faced with an insulting image like this"

Last Modified By KevSB at 20 Apr 2013 - 7:44 PM
saltireblue
20 Apr 2013 - 7:57 PM

Sorry Kev, let me re-phrase that...
One person has started a thread commenting on the image. No-one has yet reported it.
I also feel sure that no-one would have bothered starting a thread had this been an image of a male.

spaceman
spaceman  105168 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 8:42 PM

This kind of stuff was banal when Clarke was doing it. It hasn't got any better. Look, the one with the woman cutting the cake has a mirror in the background so you can see up a her skirt. Snigger. Maybe one day photography will grow up. I doubt it though.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61195 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 10:35 PM

I completely agree with Lemmy. I find the image very distasteful. If he had been clever to balance it with a man and a woman in the image then we might have been looking for the story in the image.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.