Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stolen memory cards - WEDDING DAY

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Wess
Wess  11 United Kingdom
8 May 2010 - 2:23 PM

Just to warn everyone - yesterday at Mere Court Hotel near Knutsford I had two camera bags stolen from the locked boot of my car during a wedding job!

When the wedding guests had sat down to eat at the reception, I went out to the car, put my bag in the boot, ate my picnic in the car, sorted through my kit to leave everything I didnt need for the rest of the evening in my car boot (including the full memory cards from almost 7 hours of shooting!!), locked the car and went back into the hotel to put used batteries on charge.

Came out to the car again once batteries fully charged to put the chargers away and my two lowepro camera bags had vanished from my boot. Around 2500 worth of kit gone plus all the memory cards! Some little s*** must have been on the car park, watched me, then bust open my front door lock with a screwdriver to open the boot. The car alarms would have gone off so I think they just grabbed the two bags and left quickly. Shockingly they ignored my wallet, sat nav, 100 worth of riding hats and a case of battery chargers, all of which were in the boot too alongside the camera bags. Nothing was on display in the car to identify it being the photographers car, so I was clearly being watched.

The hotel were very good and broke the news to the (very understanding) Bride & Groom, we reshot the groups again after the puddings, then after the speeches they set up the room again for a staged civil ceremony to be reshot (although the lighting was not good by this time).

I had the forensics police out who fingerprinted my car, fingerprinted me & the hotel manager who came out. They had CCTV cameras on the car park but it "wasnt working". The car park at Mere Court is separated from the hotel by a large garden and drop-off driveway, so nobody heard the car alarm.

Anyway, everyone be warned - anything you think you are leaving secure in your locked car boot, actually isnt secure and watch out as maybe we will all become a growing target.

I am posting this on the forum also in the hope that one of you may come across five Sandisk memory cards for sale (four 4Gb, one 8Gb), two Lowepro bags (mini trekker AW black plus toploader 55AW black), a sigma 105mm macro f2.8 EX DG lens, a sigma 15-30mm f3.5 lens, a Canon EOS 400d with 24-105mm L IS f4 lens (no I dont use this one for weddings, it is my fourth back-up kit that has never been used) and lots of other smaller pieces of kit (Canon batteries, battery grip, speedlite 580 EX, amongst other bits).

Anyone hear of anything please let me know!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 May 2010 - 2:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
8 May 2010 - 3:03 PM

Hi Camille, I'm so sorry to hear that news.
I hope the little b******s get caught and strung up. But more importantly, you get your gear back.
I'll keep an ear to the ground but what part of the country are you?

Gerry.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 May 2010 - 3:04 PM
Wess
Wess  11 United Kingdom
8 May 2010 - 3:19 PM

Thanks Gerry. I'm north-west near Stockport. The wedding was near Knutsford close to the M6.

Henners88
Henners88  5204 forum posts United Kingdom
8 May 2010 - 3:34 PM

Shocking!
I feel for you I really do.. Sad

Make sure you keep a close eye on ebay over the next week as theres a high possibility your kit will end up on there in some form. There was a thread on here not so long ago where a lady had her Nikon D700 stolen, and she found it on ebay. Good luck with finding your kit.
Henry Smile

User_Removed
8 May 2010 - 4:28 PM

Give the serial numbers to ebay / do daily flickr metadata searches for photos taken by your lens number or body number.

Smile

User_Removed
8 May 2010 - 4:33 PM

My brother (Another photographer) lives up your way Camille, so I'll fill him in.......so to speak.

Wess
Wess  11 United Kingdom
8 May 2010 - 6:50 PM

Thanks thats good advice re Ebay and Flickr.

And thanks Gerry, that would be great.

The story is now going in The Sun on Monday. I took a wild guess at the type of paper the culprits are likely to read and rang them. They have followed it up with the Bride & Groom and are going over to meet them tomorrow.

sut68
sut68  111994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2010 - 7:06 PM

Matt Wagster is from around your neck of the woods and is very active on a few networking sites ... would be worth PM'ing him and letting him know.

Last Modified By sut68 at 8 May 2010 - 7:07 PM
Wess
Wess  11 United Kingdom
8 May 2010 - 9:49 PM

Thanks sut68 - what's PM'ing?

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

If you haven't already make sure your serial numbers are registered on http://www.immobilise.com/, so the police can identify who owns them once they do recover them.

Chant57
Chant57 e2 Member 8371 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
8 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

I hope you/ or the police manage to recover your property and the villain is brought to justice. Myself and fellow epz'er John were robbed of all our gear just under a year ago whilst out on a shoot, the villains left us with only our tripods. 2 men were eventually caught, charged, and convicted of the theft, not only of our gear, but also with fraudulent use of my bank cards. They never did say what they did with any of our camera equipment, and despite the best efforts of the police and ourselves, not one single thing was ever recovered. You have my utmost sympathies and I wish you well.
Chant

bigalguitarpicker

@chant57: I realise this is going to sound a bit wrong, but if these toerags were caught, charged and convicted, weren't their addresses revealed in court? Why didn't you follow them home? Don't you have any mates who could break their legs? I'm probably in contravention of EPZ T&Cs by inciting violence, but scumbags like that understand nothing only brute force and ignorance.

Chant57
Chant57 e2 Member 8371 forum postsChant57 vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2010 - 9:50 AM

To have done that would have made us no better than them. Im sure that being caught was just an "occupational hazzard" for the 2 men concerned, as they had both served prison sentences in the past. As a result of robbing us they served prison sentences again, we knew at the time of their trials for our robbery, that they faced other charges too relating to theft from others. Although mentally bruised from the experience, we walk away from it a lot wiser and a lot more careful - but more importantly we walk away from it with our dignity and integrity intact.

Wess
Wess  11 United Kingdom
9 May 2010 - 10:09 AM

The missing kit details as follows. Anyone come across anything like this on a suspicious sale, please contact me -

Canon EOS 400d 1330843548 (with or without the battery grip still attached and a manfrotto tripod adaptor plate)
Canon 24-105mm IS L f4 EF lens 482573
Canon speedlite flashgun 580Ex 030687 (plus case. There is a small circular sticker on the rear of this flashgun)
Sigma wide-angle zoom lens 15-30mm f3.5 - 1027396
Sigma 105mm macro lens EX DG still searching for serial no. but the metallic label near to the serial no. on the lens is peeling a little.
Lowepro mini trekker AW in black
Lowepro Toploader Zoom 55AW black with slip-lock pouch attached
Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb memory cards (with images on) x 4
Sandisk Extreme III 8Gb memory card (full of data) x 1
Canon 400d battery grip (was attached to camera body)
Manfrotto tripod adaptor plate (was attached to 400d battery grip)
Canon 400d batteries BP-2LH x2
Manuals for the 400d, 580ex, 5d & 5dmkII
Rechargeable AA batteries Ni-Mh (7dayshop written across them) x4
Lens caps x2 E-77U
Rear lens + body cap cover for EF lens/ EOS
Canon 5d battery Li-ion BP-511A
Canon 5d mkII battery LP-E6

Wess
Wess  11 United Kingdom
9 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

Chant57 - that sounds horrendous! Well done for keeping your dignity.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.