Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stolen Photos on Flickr?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: run its course
Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
8 Sep 2011 - 6:20 PM

I decided to upload photos to flickr a few months ago hoping that they would come up in google images. I have just went in to google images to see and they are listed. One one of my weddings i uploaded 4 photos to flikr and only 2 of them say flickr under them in google images. The other two have got a link to other websites under them, one being a local business directory and the other leading to some other sort of website. Can anyone explain how this has happened and is this allowed. How can i prevent this.

Kind regards
Lucian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Sep 2011 - 6:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 6:33 PM

Provided that you selected "all rights reserved" when you uploaded to flickr then you retain all your copyright over your photos. Ergo any use of them without your prior permission is against the law - what can you do - well legally you can sue/charge for usage, however in the realistic world the best approach is to contact the site and serve them a bill unless they take down the photos. If they fail to take them down you contact the sites provider and file a Takedown Order proving to them that you've got copyright over the photos. Most providers will takedown the photos since they don't want to come under legal fire.

As for prevention, any site you upload to puts your photos up on the net to be seen; there are a few workaround:

1) Don't title/tag - with no titles or tags on your photos on services like flickr there is less chance of people finding your photos in the first place (of course no use at all if you want people to find them).

2) Watermarks - these can be removed with ease, so the typical method is to either cover the whole picture (making the job harder, but also making it hard to show the photos off to others) or use a smaller notation with your website and name - the idea being that even if it does get used at least its able to link back to you via the website/name mention

3) Upload small versions - small versions for the net can be easily used online, but have limited uses outside of the internet

4) Enter your copyright info (name etc..) in the photos EXIF (normally you enter this into the camera properties either via the camera or via cable connect of the camera to a computer). EXIF stripping is something most people forget to do so its a good way to help prove ownership if the photo they have used has your details on it.

Andy_Cundell
8 Sep 2011 - 6:37 PM

get them bills posted out and earn some money!

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
8 Sep 2011 - 6:37 PM

I dont know if i clicked the al rights reserved option. I will take a look at that. I was thinking of having a banner across the bottom of my photo to advertise so that may be an idea.

thanks
Lucian

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93451 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 6:52 PM

Have you checked that the "other sort of website" isn't just a signposting site? It's entirely possible that it directs traffic to your website, and as such, would help rather than hinder. There's quite a few things like that.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022898 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 6:53 PM

Quote: Stolen Photos on Flickr?

Headline along the lines of Pope Says Prayers Before Bed.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 7:11 PM

Or "Chav goes shopping at TK Max" Grin

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 7:27 PM

Quote: Headline along the lines of Pope Says Prayers Before Bed.

PMSL.....Grin

Awesome.....!!!

User_Removed
8 Sep 2011 - 7:48 PM

(I just choked on my wine as I scrolled down!)

Fanks Keef!

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
8 Sep 2011 - 7:49 PM

Rather than having the flickr link at the bottom there is a link to the site that has taken my photos so if someone clicks on it they are not taken in to my flickr where they can get a link to my main website they are directed in to say a local business directory or some other site that has nothing to do with me.

Lucian

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 8:19 PM

Can you share some example links?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 8:28 PM

Can you give us a link to your Flickr site?

(We promise not to pinch any pics Wink)

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2011 - 11:43 PM

can i just say ... oh no not you again .... Tongue

A12PHOTO
A12PHOTO  4 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2011 - 8:58 AM

I think i am right in saying that if you upload to Flickr you also give thm the right to use your photos. its somewhere in the pages of the microscopic print.
And a photographer friend of mine has been emailed by Getty saying would he like to add photos to Gettys stock site,they had been going through Flickr accounts.
Could always set up your own website.I have and disable right click helps i also enbed my photos in camera,and add a watermark, but if they want your photo they will get it.

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
9 Sep 2011 - 9:24 AM

You don't give Flickr any rights to your images when you upload them.
By default the images come under the Creative Commons thing, where, basically, anyone can use them without
needing to pay the photographer. You can, as I have done, opt out of that and keep all copyright of the images
and any legal weight that goes behind that. When my images have turned up elsewhere I generally email the
offender and request payment or removal....I usually get the removal Sad

Another way around it, Lucian, would be to use you Flickr account the same way as you use your EPZ account.....and not
post any images up at all.... Tongue

Last Modified By NikLG at 9 Sep 2011 - 9:25 AM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: run its course