Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Stolen video

hornchurch 3 108
17 Feb 2013 9:58AM
Any advice on this would be helpful, I have my own you tube page and hve around 60 different HD videoes on it, a few days ago i noticed one video was getting a lot more views than usual using the analytic s, i then fond that a commercial restaurant had embedded the video on there website, under a tab called latest video.... there is no byeline, no permission was asked and no payment given, i discovered its been there since the start of october 2012.. and receives around 30-40 views per month, so am I right to assume they have stolen the copyright of the film.....as it belongs to myself.... its pretty blatant as after the video stops you can click the top of the video and it shows its my video,

any views on what i can do on this Regards David

p.s the restaurant is quite upmarket and will come in at about 60-80 pounds per head

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fogey 1 70 13 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 10:16AM
Contact a solicitor and sue the restaurant for as much as you can get. Simples.
MikeA 9 1.2k England
17 Feb 2013 10:25AM
Go to Edit mode for the video, in the Advanced settings remove the tick in the Allow Embedding box. Not sure if it will work now that embedding has taken place but worth a try. It may take a day or two to work.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 11:29AM
They haven't stolen your video, they haven't breached your copyright. When you uploaded it to YouTube you allowed other sites to embed it. It's not an obscure menu item that you have to jump through hoops to get to either.

Pay attention to the settings next time you upload something to a video sharing site.
Fogey 1 70 13 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 12:03PM
But they have plagiarised it by calling it 'Latest Video'; and they have done that for commercial gain.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
17 Feb 2013 12:11PM
As Chris says you permitted embedding. Someone embedded it. End of story.

You can always delete the video and re-upload... this time not permitting embedding.
hornchurch 3 108
17 Feb 2013 12:18PM
I note the embedded situation but its a commercial site that makes money from my video, the video attracts people to there restaurant the video is 2 years old, not a latest video....... so i guess my option is a quick call and if they do not want to pay i will remove the video from you tube... and leave them with a blank latest video... i will then upload the video again and not allow embedding.......
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
17 Feb 2013 12:19PM
Worth a try, I guess. Good luck! Wink
17 Feb 2013 12:38PM
YouTube is a commercial site that makes money from your video so give them a quick call as well Wink

Quote:they have plagiarised it by calling it 'Latest Video'; and they have done that for commercial gain

That's a funny definition of plagiarism. It's a tab on their website saying Latest Video, it's the truth.

When they embed it they do so with the blessing of YouTube under YouTube's terms and conditions. Hornchurch has allowed YouTube to handle that for him.

Quote:Contact a solicitor and sue the restaurant for as much as you can get. Simples

Bad advice I'm afraid. Hey there's even a YouTube button on this page that lets ePz members embed tutorial and other videos made by other Hornchurches, ePz sells memberships and displays advertising next to those videos (as opposed to food). Completely legally.

Latest Video

KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 1:04PM
Chriss is on the nail, The video is stored on u-tube, not on the resterants site, they are only linking it so it would be Utube that you would have to contact to remove it , Seeing as it was you who uploaded it to u tube then gave them permission.
Another option is only to alow approved peaple watch it, Again in the options. Nothing in life comes for free as we all know the saying goes and Utube is no different.
MikeA 9 1.2k England
17 Feb 2013 1:45PM
A well known organisation embedded an image from a web sited owned by a friend without permission, he replaced the image with an advertisement for blood donors.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
17 Feb 2013 1:54PM
You could have real fun when you replace the video with something less appropriate! I suspect that this is your only redress.
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
17 Feb 2013 2:03PM
Replace it with a video that just has the phone number of one of their largest competitors.
17 Feb 2013 2:14PM
You can do that with an embedded image (I had great fun with someone who cloned my ebay auctions for similar items and used MY pics from ebay subfolder of my website)

Can't do it by uploading a new video (as it will have a new URL). You can put comments etc over the top of the existing video, which could be brilliantly funny, you must give us a link to the restaurant page if you do that GrinGrinGrin
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
17 Feb 2013 3:49PM
Why not put up a video from a horse race meeting & caption it " our suppliers"?
I suspect they may break the link pdq.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.