Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stolen work

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    zebraboy
    zebraboy  10197 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Aug 2006 - 9:55 AM

I just uploaded a shot onto an american site with a view to sell etc. only to see it watermarked!
    what can I do to find out who has effectively took ownership of my work?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Aug 2006 - 9:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023041 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Aug 2006 - 9:57 AM

I think we need more info...who watermarked it and where?

zebraboy
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:03 AM

No idea who, there is a thick but faint swirl running outwards from the centre of the picture.

User_Removed
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:06 AM

Quote: I just uploaded a shot onto an american site with a view to sell etc. only to see it watermarked!

Are you saying that there was another version of the same image there - or - are you saying you uploaded your original, non-watermarked file and the watermark appeared on the screen subsequently?

EDIT: It may well be that the site has watermarked the image on your behalf. Have you read their 'small print' with regards to ownership?

skewey
    skewey  831 forum posts England
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:18 AM

Should you not watermark images prior to posting ?

User_Removed
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:26 AM

Depends on the site. Some do - some don't require prior watermarking. Case in point is fotoLIBRA.

pcheywood
    pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:28 AM

If the site you uploaded to is any kind of agengcy/agent then the image will be watermaked and/or tagged before going onto a public website for it's own copyright protection.

Or would you rather it was right clicked and linked to thousands of times for free??

Paul

zebraboy
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:28 AM

hi mike, I uploaded an original un-marked picture from my files, and it was watermarked prior to it's actual submission onto the site? after the upload there is the prview picture (marked) and then additional info is required before submission onto site, catagory, description etc..i'd put two other pictures on that had no such marks.

User_Removed
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:32 AM

Quote: I uploaded an original un-marked picture from my files, and it was watermarked prior to it's actual submission onto the site

So the site watermarked it then. Have you read their T's & C's? If they watermark all inbound files prior to display, it will be called out in their T's & C's / upload instructions somwehere.

If not - then its email time.

Don't misread their intentions here; they are trying to protect your work - as best can be done - from theft. There are a load of related threads here on EPZ covering this subject of image theft; might help you if you take a search through...

agoreira
    agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:34 AM

I expect you'll find all the other photos there watermarked as well, it's quite a common practice.

zebraboy
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:35 AM

ok thanks mike, i'll give the terms and conditions a proper reading as I should have done initially, cheers

User_Removed
    13 Aug 2006 - 10:41 AM

Good luck Manfred.

1100  836 forum posts
    13 Aug 2006 - 12:14 PM

If you upload a watermarked image then that image will be permenantly watermarked, thus rendered useless. The site watermarks the image on your behalf and takes it off when a copy is sold on. They do this to protect you and themselves.
    You will always retain copyright unless you sign it over.

The only company that will steal the rights to an image is the BBC through their 'your pictures' site. Don't ever submit to them, you are effectively giving away your rights.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.