Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

stonehenge

CDSINUK e2
2 223 England
15 Sep 2012 5:39PM
Hi All, i wanted to know if anyone has done a photo shoot at stonehenge lately, i wanted to travel down in the evening and capture some low light night photos, is the area around the site restricted? can you get access to it, outside normal opening times, without getting arrested ? would apreciate some feedback, thanks
Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
15 Sep 2012 5:48PM
CDSINUK e2
2 223 England
15 Sep 2012 5:51PM
thanks Ken, yes i checked the website, and have e mailed them, do you know if the area outside the momument perimeter is restricted?
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
15 Sep 2012 6:40PM
Hi Chris, I've no idea if the area around the outside of the monument is restricted or not but I'm sure somebody will be along soon with the answer.

Ken
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2012 7:02PM
There is a head-high chain link fence around the monument from just about anywhere you can see it clearly. Almost impossible to get a shot through the fence, even with a very large aperture (i have f/1.4 and f/2 lenses). Outside this is the road, with a grass verge and a small path, so no problem there, you just need to get your camera high enough and stable enough. To get inside you have to pay (along with a million tourists), and unless you are very lucky (or take very very long exposures) getting a decent shot is difficult...mainly because all the time it is open, there are masses of people.
Inside, you are no longer allowed into the stones, and are corralled around the outside watched by security.

Very little chance of being there in low light either, as it closes when it gets dark, though it is possible to arrange a private entry outside normal hours, for a small party, but it is v expensive.

You need to park a few hundred yards away, as the road is dark with double yellows, though walking round the west side where you can park safely, the lie of the ground is against you, so no clear shot from there.

To sum up: you can get shots, but you need a tall tripod, though there is nothing stopping you shooting at night, except maybe the car lights on the A303!

Nick
CDSINUK e2
2 223 England
15 Sep 2012 7:17PM
ah, thanks Nick, thats just the info i needed, i have e mailed them about out of hours, but it sounds exspensive, but was thinking of just turning up one evening, but the fence would make it a useless exercise, so you have saved me a trip, it was just an idea, thanks for the info much apreciated, and saved me the petrol, i will look for something else to try, Smile
MarkBauer e2
4 127 1
16 Sep 2012 5:06PM
You could go to Avebury instead. More interesting (IMHO), no entry fee, no restrictions on access to the stones.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
16 Sep 2012 10:32PM
I can remember the good old days - there is in existence (somewhere in an album) a photo of me actually touching one of the stones at Stonehenge. Wink

I agree about Avebury. Got caught in a thunderstorm last time I went - rather dramatic!
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Sep 2012 12:59AM
Were you once when of them travellers CB Smile Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGbSgFr_E0&feature=relmfu
CDSINUK e2
2 223 England
17 Sep 2012 9:11AM
he he he Paul, i once stopped there hitchhiking on the way back from Blackbush festival in 1978 when i lived in westward ho! and smoked a shed load wacky backy in the middle of it lol, that was another lifetime ago Smile i have fond memories, i was too stoned to have any views on the site Smile
CDSINUK e2
2 223 England
17 Sep 2012 9:16AM
if i had my way Pink Floyd should do a solstace concert there ! before they stop touring Smile
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Sep 2012 3:35PM
What? Surely Stonehenge is boring enough?
Wink
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
17 Sep 2012 3:48PM
Somewhere amongst all my photo archives (tin boxes of negs etc Wink )I have some 8mm movie film of the Druids doing their thing, from memory I think they were doing it for a documentary about Druids .
That was in the days when you could wander around the place freely, ca 1969.
I Also have some b&W negs from around 1961 taken inside the circle..
CDSINUK e2
2 223 England
17 Sep 2012 3:51PM

Quote:What? Surely Stonehenge is boring enough?
Wink

lol careful Kieth, i will press the report as abuse button lol Smile where wallis and fortuna ? thought it was wallis and gromit? Smile
CDSINUK e2
2 223 England
17 Sep 2012 3:59PM

Quote:Somewhere amongst all my photo archives (tin boxes of negs etc Wink )I have some 8mm movie film of the Druids doing their thing, from memory I think they were doing it for a documentary about Druids .
That was in the days when you could wander around the place freely, ca 1969.
I Also have some b&W negs from around 1961 taken inside the circle..

Dont go looking at it, i might be in it Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.