Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

stonehenge

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
CDSINUK
CDSINUK  1219 forum posts England
15 Sep 2012 - 5:39 PM

Hi All, i wanted to know if anyone has done a photo shoot at stonehenge lately, i wanted to travel down in the evening and capture some low light night photos, is the area around the site restricted? can you get access to it, outside normal opening times, without getting arrested ? would apreciate some feedback, thanks
Chris

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 15 Sep 2012 - 5:40 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Sep 2012 - 5:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 112919 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 5:48 PM

This may help?

Ken.

http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/Times.php

CDSINUK
15 Sep 2012 - 5:51 PM

thanks Ken, yes i checked the website, and have e mailed them, do you know if the area outside the momument perimeter is restricted?

franken
franken e2 Member 112919 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 6:40 PM

Hi Chris, I've no idea if the area around the outside of the monument is restricted or not but I'm sure somebody will be along soon with the answer.

Ken

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
15 Sep 2012 - 7:02 PM

There is a head-high chain link fence around the monument from just about anywhere you can see it clearly. Almost impossible to get a shot through the fence, even with a very large aperture (i have f/1.4 and f/2 lenses). Outside this is the road, with a grass verge and a small path, so no problem there, you just need to get your camera high enough and stable enough. To get inside you have to pay (along with a million tourists), and unless you are very lucky (or take very very long exposures) getting a decent shot is difficult...mainly because all the time it is open, there are masses of people.
Inside, you are no longer allowed into the stones, and are corralled around the outside watched by security.

Very little chance of being there in low light either, as it closes when it gets dark, though it is possible to arrange a private entry outside normal hours, for a small party, but it is v expensive.

You need to park a few hundred yards away, as the road is dark with double yellows, though walking round the west side where you can park safely, the lie of the ground is against you, so no clear shot from there.

To sum up: you can get shots, but you need a tall tripod, though there is nothing stopping you shooting at night, except maybe the car lights on the A303!

Nick

CDSINUK
15 Sep 2012 - 7:17 PM

ah, thanks Nick, thats just the info i needed, i have e mailed them about out of hours, but it sounds exspensive, but was thinking of just turning up one evening, but the fence would make it a useless exercise, so you have saved me a trip, it was just an idea, thanks for the info much apreciated, and saved me the petrol, i will look for something else to try, Smile

MarkBauer
MarkBauer  4126 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2012 - 5:06 PM

You could go to Avebury instead. More interesting (IMHO), no entry fee, no restrictions on access to the stones.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2012 - 10:32 PM

I can remember the good old days - there is in existence (somewhere in an album) a photo of me actually touching one of the stones at Stonehenge. Wink

I agree about Avebury. Got caught in a thunderstorm last time I went - rather dramatic!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214398 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 12:59 AM

Were you once when of them travellers CB Smile Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGbSgFr_E0&feature=relmfu

CDSINUK
17 Sep 2012 - 9:11 AM

he he he Paul, i once stopped there hitchhiking on the way back from Blackbush festival in 1978 when i lived in westward ho! and smoked a shed load wacky backy in the middle of it lol, that was another lifetime ago Smile i have fond memories, i was too stoned to have any views on the site Smile

CDSINUK
17 Sep 2012 - 9:16 AM

if i had my way Pink Floyd should do a solstace concert there ! before they stop touring Smile

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2012 - 3:35 PM

What? Surely Stonehenge is boring enough?
Wink

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
17 Sep 2012 - 3:48 PM

Somewhere amongst all my photo archives (tin boxes of negs etc Wink )I have some 8mm movie film of the Druids doing their thing, from memory I think they were doing it for a documentary about Druids .
That was in the days when you could wander around the place freely, ca 1969.
I Also have some b&W negs from around 1961 taken inside the circle..

Last Modified By macroman at 17 Sep 2012 - 4:28 PM
CDSINUK
17 Sep 2012 - 3:51 PM

Quote: What? Surely Stonehenge is boring enough?
Wink

lol careful Kieth, i will press the report as abuse button lol Smile where wallis and fortuna ? thought it was wallis and gromit? Smile

Last Modified By CDSINUK at 17 Sep 2012 - 3:54 PM
CDSINUK
17 Sep 2012 - 3:59 PM

Quote: Somewhere amongst all my photo archives (tin boxes of negs etc Wink )I have some 8mm movie film of the Druids doing their thing, from memory I think they were doing it for a documentary about Druids .
That was in the days when you could wander around the place freely, ca 1969.
I Also have some b&W negs from around 1961 taken inside the circle..

Dont go looking at it, i might be in it Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.