Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stopping

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2011 - 3:11 PM

I've been asked to do 3 this year. All for free of course Smile eeerrrm, the answer would be NO!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Jun 2011 - 3:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2011 - 3:12 PM

I was once talking to a hobby photographer who would print his favourite pictures from recent shoots and hang them on his wall. Every few months he would hang new ones and sell the ones he had just taken down at a car boot sale. If you could do the same then you would be looking for people who simply wanted 'a cool cycling picture' on their wall and did not like the mass-produced posters.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2011 - 3:13 PM

Quote: All for free of course

And that's going to be the way from now on! When every person attending the event, barring toddlers (but even some of them! Wink) has an image recording device upon their person you are competing with quantity, not quality.

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 94035 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2011 - 3:16 PM

Quote: All for free of course

And that's going to be the way from now on! When every person attending the event, barring toddlers (but even some of them! Wink) has an image recording device upon their person you are competing with quantity, not quality.

Yep, that's about it Smile

Mike, car boot sales! My idea of hell Smile But good idea. A few of us from the camera club were going to try to set up an exhibition in town. The club has an annual exhibition, but no sales, it's only on for a week in the back of a local museum that isn't open on Sundays, so limited exposure.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2011 - 3:22 PM

It doesn't have to be a car boot sale - you could always try fleaBay! Wink

whipspeed
20 Jun 2011 - 3:26 PM

Did alright on that the other week. I sold a handbag I'd bought for £10.00 for £45.00 Smile

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2011 - 5:50 PM

LOL! My wife used to buy something called Bad taste bears ebfore they becamse really commercial. They cost £100 each new and when she sold them on fleabay some of the originals were fetching upwards of £150. Kind lass took me out for a meal on the proceeds. Grin

Hugo
Hugo  9629 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jun 2011 - 7:07 PM

This cartoon might summarize the whole situation:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tech-fun/truth-photography/

I don't know if it's ok to insert the image directly - some sites are a bit funny about this - but here goes: Sorry in advance if it's not!

photography.jpg

Last Modified By Hugo at 20 Jun 2011 - 7:11 PM
Carabosse
20 Jun 2011 - 7:20 PM

Fantastic! Grin

whipspeed
20 Jun 2011 - 7:34 PM

LOL, that is brilliant.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 62053 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2011 - 8:22 PM

I missed this thread when it started Sarah, but if it's any consolation, you were the one who's cycling photography made me decide to take up photography at a more serious level, as a competing cyclist at the time. With your advice, I got an idea of what equipment to buy, and you introduced me to ephotozine, where I am now happily chained, possibly for life Wink
It didn't take me long before realising that TT photography wasn't for me, other than somewhere to test new ideas out, and never had much response from any events I did shoot, but things seemed to be looking good for you with work from British Cycling IIRC?

So, to summarise, do some photography you enjoy - challenge yourself with something ambitious, and thanks again for getting me started Smile

mikehit
20 Jun 2011 - 8:48 PM

Quote: This cartoon might summarize the whole situation:

One other difference between the two

Photographers: see something worth taking a picture of and spend 30 seconds deciding what aperture and exposure compenation to give it. They miss it.
Sheep: point, shoot and let the camera do the rest. Then admire what they great picture they have captured. The photograpehr reluctantly agrees but resents the fact that they missed it while pissing around being arty farty.

JamesGarfield
20 Jun 2011 - 8:54 PM

LOL SPOT ON!

whipspeed
21 Jun 2011 - 9:18 AM

Thanks Andrew Smile

abel
abel  9518 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jun 2011 - 12:25 PM

Lol @ Mikehit, and let's not forget setting up the tripod Tongue

I'm not quite sure this has been an 'enjoyable' thread, but it HAS been very thought-provoking. People do tend to make do with what they can get for free, rather than pay for something even when it is much better. Here's where I guess photographers have to produce something absolutely remarkable, and/or become salesmen ... ?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.