Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stopping popup flash

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BigDingus
    BigDingus e2 Member 1BigDingus vcard Scotland
    14 Apr 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hi folks.
    This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it on the forums.
    I'm looking to use my off camera flash as the light source and don't want the popup light to be in my shot.
    How I've managed this so far, is by putting my finger in front of the popup.
    Can anyone tell me an EASY way to do this and still have the remote trigger?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Apr 2013 - 12:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GazzaG2003
    GazzaG2003  11248 forum posts England
    14 Apr 2013 - 1:12 PM

what camera make and model do you have, maybe your using "auto" settings on the camera and flash, normally there are a few flash settings on cameras, like "auto, red eye, slow sync, always on, off etc" how exactly are you using the setup at the moment.

lovey
    lovey  1 United Kingdom
    14 Apr 2013 - 1:57 PM

i have the nikon 5100 on the side is a button i hold that in and turn the wheel on the left that stops mine from popping up if that helps new to all this my self.

BigDingus
    14 Apr 2013 - 2:00 PM

Thanks for posting Gazza.

I have a Canon 7D.
    It's not in auto as I tend to use CA.
    I can disable the popup, but then the off camera won't work.

rambler
    rambler e2 Member 5412 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 2:44 PM

In CA mode press the o button on the top left at the back of the camera , this will highlight the flash Icon and you can select the flash function with the large wheel.

Ken

Last Modified By rambler at 14 Apr 2013 - 2:46 PM
    GazzaG2003
    GazzaG2003  11248 forum posts England
    14 Apr 2013 - 2:48 PM

Quote: Thanks for posting Gazza.

I have a Canon 7D.
    It's not in auto as I tend to use CA.
    I can disable the popup, but then the off camera won't work.

I also have the 7D, if you are using the camera flash wirelessly then unfortunately you will have to use the pre-flash on the 7D although this fires a split second before your wireless flash and can be controlled in flash settings remotely etc, but I use a manual setup seen here for more info:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ggwildlife/8383552134/in/photostream also include a pic

hope that helps.
    strobist-setup.jpg

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 2:57 PM

Quote: I can disable the popup, but then the off camera won't work.

The off camera flash ( I'm assuming you mean speedlight/flashgun here ) is actually triggered by the a certain amount of light from the cameras " On-Board " flash ( Pop Up )....Smile

As you have discovered by turning the on-board off, The slave or remote speedlight can not function......!!!

Reason for this is simple, The system employed for firing a remote speedlight is based in " IR " triggering ( That's Infra -Red ), The quick burst of light from the cameras on-board contains information ( A bit like a TV remote control ) This information tells your remote speedlight how much light is required, Based on information via the cameras own calculations, ie: Shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, Metering and so on and so forth, etc etc etc.....Grin

Fact is that in systems using this technique, The cameras on-board ( Pop Up if you like..Grin ) has little or no influence on the way the subject is illuminated, Because its power is turned down to a level just sufficient to trigger the remote unit.

That said in some portrait situations secondary " Catchlights " can be a source of irritation, Nikon provide a small shield that stops forward light from the on-boards from hitting the subject, This little gadget attaches to the hot shoe, I'm Not sure about Canon..? But many Canon owners have been made very happy chaps indeed by buying one of these wondrous Nikon gadgets...Grin

Wondrous Nikon Gadgets R Us.Com

Get yours today as they sell like hot cakes.......Grin

The other way around this is " RF " triggers, That's Radio Frequency to us mere mortals.....Smile

Radio Triggers R Us co uk

Take your pick......?

Quote: a button i hold that in and turn the wheel on the left that stops mine from popping up

LOL...Grin Another way is reading up on your camera manual, Or stop using full auto and switch to auto without flash, Or just stop using auto modes.....Grin

Let me explain that Nikon D5100, Look at your Mode wheel, Yup! That's the one with scene & effects written on, The full auto selection is in " GREEN " just next to that is a white one, That has a flash symbol set inside a circle, Select that option if you wish to use Full AUTO but without the flash popping up.....Grin

Easy Huh!

Hope that helps.....Wink

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2013 - 8:36 PM

In your 7D menu you have a choice of whether the onboard flash will be used to illuminate the subject - if you select it not to be used, the offboard flash will delay firing so that the onboard flash makes little or no contribution. If you are shooting close-up/macro you may still see some contribution from the onboard flash but at longer distances (such as portraits) it will be hard to see.
    I have seen web pages where the person puts a sliver of foil infront of the flash but this was for macro work

riddell
    riddell  958 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Apr 2013 - 11:30 AM

Shoot manually.

Its one of the auto features that is making it popup.

If you shoot manually you'll have total control over what you want.

Paul.
    www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Apr 2013 - 8:51 AM

Quote: Its one of the auto features that is making it popup.

Even if you shoot manually, you still need the pop-up flash to fire the offcamera flash. Unless I have misunderstood you.

BigDingus
    28 Apr 2013 - 9:25 PM

Thanks everyone for posting. I'm trying your suggestions out. I'll post again when I solve my problem.

BigDingus
    2 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

Lovey thanks for you input.

Rambler. Yes I can disable the flash (Q), but it is needed to trigger the off camera flash. I'm just trying to get my on-board (OK cameracat, point taken Blush ) to stop affecting my shot.

Gazza. I had a look at your set-up. It looks a good way to go and also much cheaper than the way I was looking. 600ex-rt speedlite plus trigger.

Cameracat. I've ordered something very similar to your link (Replacement Panel for Built In Flash), which I'll try before I go with radio, which is probably the way pros will be going.

Thanks riddle. I think mikehit replied for me. I do need the flash for remote flashes.

Work in progress.
    Whew.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.