Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Straightening Tall Buildings

8 Jan 2008 8:52PM
I have been taking lots of photos of downtown skylines lately. I would like to straighten the images using PhotoShop but am having trouble figuring out how. Does PhotoShop have a tool that works on the same premise as Picassa's straighten tool? If so, could you point me in that direction? If not, how would this be done in PhotoShop?

Thanks, in advance, for your words of wisdom!

Linda

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
8 Jan 2008 9:00PM
I tend to use Transform (CTRL+T) then right click the image and select "Skew". It kinda works, takes a bit if getting used to

depends on how failthful to reality you want your shot to look really.

I like slightly surreal but instantly recogniseable - no one buys photos of builsings they don't recognise after all!
guidoa 13 1.3k United Kingdom
8 Jan 2008 9:04PM
Theres a very good free programme to download called ShiftN, well worth a try and does all the work automatically
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
8 Jan 2008 9:11PM

Quote:I tend to use Transform (CTRL+T) then right click the image and select "Skew".

Following Ade's input, I use 'Distort'. Just be sure you have the 'headroom' to lose some data when composing originally...
elcid 10 150 England
8 Jan 2008 9:12PM
I use Elements 6. To straighten an Image. I go to, IMAGE-TRANSFORM-SKEW. Then grab the top corner handle and pull it across. Hope this helps.

Bill.
8 Jan 2008 9:13PM

Quote:ShiftN

A 'Google' on that just brings up a load of 'gumf' on network-related stuff Sad Any other clues? A link perhaps Smile
mjsayles 8 1.0k
8 Jan 2008 9:13PM
It's very easy in PS, using the Transform tool, as Ade says.

Selct all (CTRL A), then CTRL T

Then, hold down the CTRL, SHIFT and ALT keys, and drag one of the top corner anchor points out sideways, until the buildings are vertically straight. Holding CTRL, SHIFT and ALT while you do this means the opposite side drags out too, mirroring the effect.

The resulting image will be a teensy bit 'squat', so just drag the top-middle anchor point upwards slightly to restore correct proportions (usually you'll drag upwards less then the distance you dragged out sideways).

When you're happy with the look of the transformation, hit return to make the transform.
guidoa 13 1.3k United Kingdom
8 Jan 2008 9:25PM
mjsayles 8 1.0k
8 Jan 2008 9:26PM
Automatic programs are fine, but seriously, doing it manually in PS takes about 60 seconds max.
8 Jan 2008 9:33PM
Thanks Guidoa. Appreciate the feedback but... having read the details, I feel the manual way in PS is far simpler. I'd rather trust my eye - and a set square on my screen - than fanny around inputting parameters and such like.

Smile
Paintman e2
8 876 173 United Kingdom
8 Jan 2008 9:54PM
Using the crop tool in PS CS2, check the perspective box in the Options bar (once the crop tool is in progress) . You should now be able to move the corners independantly and set an edge against a converging diagonal. Switching the grid lines on will also help in getting lines vertical. To do this go to Window, Show, Grid.

HTH, Alan.
sberlyn 7 426 1 England
8 Jan 2008 9:58PM
I haven't read the entire thread completely but I use the 'ruler' tool in PSCS2, draw a line along the edge of the building then go to Rotate>Arbitary and the predefined figure will be sufficient to take the drawn line back to straight, which takes the rest of the image with it.

I use this method for straightening horizons and such like.

I'm not much good at explaining things like this and I might have missed the point completely!

S
Photogene 8 176 Wales
8 Jan 2008 10:00PM
Another quick and easy way would be to use the measure tool, located under the eye dropper tool. Start by clicking on a reference point in the image, following the same line as that of the slanting buildings. Start at the top edge of a building, and drag the tool down the edge of that building, and end your second reference point at the bottom of that building's edge. Then go up to image,rotate canvas, choose arbitrary and click ok. You'll have to crop the image after this, to get rid of the white canvas background that appears after the image rotation. Alternatively you could try the even quicker way that does all this automatically for you. Go to file, automate and choose crop and straighten photos.
Photogene 8 176 Wales
8 Jan 2008 10:01PM
I see sherlyn got there before me Smile
8 Jan 2008 10:06PM

Quote:Switching the grid lines on will also help in getting lines vertical. To do this go to Window, Show, Grid.

Sad Can't do that - my Grid Lines are set to RoT ...

Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.