Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Straightening Tall Buildings

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Linda L. Hudson

I have been taking lots of photos of downtown skylines lately. I would like to straighten the images using PhotoShop but am having trouble figuring out how. Does PhotoShop have a tool that works on the same premise as Picassa's straighten tool? If so, could you point me in that direction? If not, how would this be done in PhotoShop?

Thanks, in advance, for your words of wisdom!

Linda

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2008 - 8:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014747 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 9:00 PM

I tend to use Transform (CTRL+T) then right click the image and select "Skew". It kinda works, takes a bit if getting used to

depends on how failthful to reality you want your shot to look really.

I like slightly surreal but instantly recogniseable - no one buys photos of builsings they don't recognise after all!

guidoa
guidoa  121321 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Jan 2008 - 9:04 PM

Theres a very good free programme to download called ShiftN, well worth a try and does all the work automatically

User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 9:11 PM

Quote: I tend to use Transform (CTRL+T) then right click the image and select "Skew".

Following Ade's input, I use 'Distort'. Just be sure you have the 'headroom' to lose some data when composing originally...

elcid
elcid  9150 forum posts England
8 Jan 2008 - 9:12 PM

I use Elements 6. To straighten an Image. I go to, IMAGE-TRANSFORM-SKEW. Then grab the top corner handle and pull it across. Hope this helps.

Bill.

User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 9:13 PM

Quote: ShiftN

A 'Google' on that just brings up a load of 'gumf' on network-related stuff Sad Any other clues? A link perhaps Smile

mjsayles
mjsayles  81019 forum posts
8 Jan 2008 - 9:13 PM

It's very easy in PS, using the Transform tool, as Ade says.

Selct all (CTRL A), then CTRL T

Then, hold down the CTRL, SHIFT and ALT keys, and drag one of the top corner anchor points out sideways, until the buildings are vertically straight. Holding CTRL, SHIFT and ALT while you do this means the opposite side drags out too, mirroring the effect.

The resulting image will be a teensy bit 'squat', so just drag the top-middle anchor point upwards slightly to restore correct proportions (usually you'll drag upwards less then the distance you dragged out sideways).

When you're happy with the look of the transformation, hit return to make the transform.

Last Modified By mjsayles at 8 Jan 2008 - 9:14 PM
guidoa
guidoa  121321 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Jan 2008 - 9:25 PM

Mike- Try this
www.marcus-hebel.de/foto/index.html .

mjsayles
mjsayles  81019 forum posts
8 Jan 2008 - 9:26 PM

Automatic programs are fine, but seriously, doing it manually in PS takes about 60 seconds max.

User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 9:33 PM

Thanks Guidoa. Appreciate the feedback but... having read the details, I feel the manual way in PS is far simpler. I'd rather trust my eye - and a set square on my screen - than fanny around inputting parameters and such like.

Smile

Paintman
Paintman e2 Member 7834 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 9:54 PM

Using the crop tool in PS CS2, check the perspective box in the Options bar (once the crop tool is in progress) . You should now be able to move the corners independantly and set an edge against a converging diagonal. Switching the grid lines on will also help in getting lines vertical. To do this go to Window, Show, Grid.

HTH, Alan.

sberlyn
sberlyn  7426 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 9:58 PM

I haven't read the entire thread completely but I use the 'ruler' tool in PSCS2, draw a line along the edge of the building then go to Rotate>Arbitary and the predefined figure will be sufficient to take the drawn line back to straight, which takes the rest of the image with it.

I use this method for straightening horizons and such like.

I'm not much good at explaining things like this and I might have missed the point completely!

S

Photogene
Photogene  8176 forum posts Wales
8 Jan 2008 - 10:00 PM

Another quick and easy way would be to use the measure tool, located under the eye dropper tool. Start by clicking on a reference point in the image, following the same line as that of the slanting buildings. Start at the top edge of a building, and drag the tool down the edge of that building, and end your second reference point at the bottom of that building's edge. Then go up to image,rotate canvas, choose arbitrary and click ok. You'll have to crop the image after this, to get rid of the white canvas background that appears after the image rotation. Alternatively you could try the even quicker way that does all this automatically for you. Go to file, automate and choose crop and straighten photos.

Photogene
Photogene  8176 forum posts Wales
8 Jan 2008 - 10:01 PM

I see sherlyn got there before me Smile

Last Modified By Photogene at 8 Jan 2008 - 10:02 PM
User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 10:06 PM

Quote: Switching the grid lines on will also help in getting lines vertical. To do this go to Window, Show, Grid.

Sad Can't do that - my Grid Lines are set to RoT...

Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.