Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Strange/Quaint Pub names.

16 Sep 2011 10:23PM
WinkSmileThis may have been done before, but I cannot find anything here. What about posting old pub names to enlighten us and increase our knowledge ?

We don't want the fairly recent changes, where the names of old pubs have been changed to the likes of "The Slug and Lettuce" etc. But I do believe there is one in Co Durham called the Giraffe and Aardvark.. (The Makkems are NOT Geordies, and they are very strange.Grin)

What I am thinking of, and these are or were correct names :
"Hark To Mopsy." a pub on the approach to Normanton.
"Swan with Two Necks." Wakefield.
"Queen of T'Owd Thatch." South Milford.
" Dyke Neuk". pub in Northumberland outside Morpeth.

And if Di comes up with the allegedly old tavern in Southend, called "The Pirate with a Wooden Leg, an Eyepatch,and Parrot, and Wench." I will ask the moderators to wipe this thread off. Everyone knows there never were any pirates in Sarfend, 'cos they didn't ave no 'arbour, cap'n.GrinSmile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2011 11:20PM
The Bucket of Blood - a cornish pub where allegedly the body of an exciseman was found in the well.

I liked Diamond Lil's and the Blue Monkey as pub names, but both gone now.

I think there may be an Ashen Faggott somewhere in Devon.
StrayCat e2
10 15.0k 2 Canada
16 Sep 2011 11:39PM
Cricketer's - oldest pub in Brighten. Spent an evening there with a colleague whose great grandfather owned it at one time. She asked to have a bit of a tour, and we were shown the upstairs where there was a wealth of pub memorabelia lying about.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2011 11:45PM
'The case has altered'
Ruislip, Middx.
Very small but very popular.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
16 Sep 2011 11:53PM

Quote:What about posting old pub names to enlighten us and increase our knowledge ?

Still in West Yorkshire....I think I've got it right ..."The Pot Oil" in Wrenthorpe

....Mike
coliwolii 5 69 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2011 2:23AM
"The Nutshell" in Newmarket - possibly the smallest pub in the country?
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
17 Sep 2011 3:14AM
Jackson's Boat on the banks of the Mersey in Chorlton cum Hardy Manchester - named after the rope ferry that used to be the only way of crossing the river for miles (apparently my granddad used to work it..)
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
17 Sep 2011 8:05AM
I have heard of "The Brink O' Doom" but do not know if it really existed or was fictional. Was meant to have been in east London, Rotherhighe or thereabouts.

We frequented a pub in Southampton named the Shield & Dagger, known locally as the Feel & Shag Her.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2011 8:19AM

Quote:"The Nutshell" in Newmarket - possibly the smallest pub in the country?

Not really an odd name though is it?
By the way, it's in Bury St. Edmunds.
If you have 8 punters in, it's packed! Wink
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
17 Sep 2011 9:15AM
The Brewers Droop was a great real ale pub in Willenhall. Even had old motorbikes on the walls. Sadly long gone
bfgstew 8 668 105 England
17 Sep 2011 9:25AM
We have 'The Black Boy' in Retford, very politically incorrect!!!!!!

Quote:'The case has altered'
Ruislip, Middx.
Very small but very popular.

When I lived in Bedfordshire there was a pub, and I use the term loosely, called The Case Has Altered, it was someones living room! Used to go there for darts matches, used to be fun!
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
17 Sep 2011 10:10AM
The "Sheep Heid Inn" in Duddingston, Edinburgh claims to be 650 years old. It's one of only a few pubs that still have a skittle alley - great fun when you've "had a few".
Andy_Cundell 3 1.1k 5 England
17 Sep 2011 11:50AM

Quote:I liked Diamond Lil's

Hmmm, now did you used to frequent the said 'Diamond Lil's', or maybe Boobs across the road as well?
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2011 12:08PM
I wouldn't say I frequented Diamond Lil's but I do remember drinking there.
There was another pub called Star of the West I think, another name that stuck in my mind, but I can't remember anything else about it.
I also don't remember if I was ever in Boobs, there were a few places along there that just sort of blur into memory.
Pretty rough some of them.
I never saw Union Street in its heyday though.
ade_mcfade e2
10 14.8k 216 England
17 Sep 2011 12:16PM
Peveril of the Peak - Manchester

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.