Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Strange/Quaint Pub names.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

polis_928tadw59
16 Sep 2011 - 10:23 PM

WinkSmileThis may have been done before, but I cannot find anything here. What about posting old pub names to enlighten us and increase our knowledge ?

We don't want the fairly recent changes, where the names of old pubs have been changed to the likes of "The Slug and Lettuce" etc. But I do believe there is one in Co Durham called the Giraffe and Aardvark.. (The Makkems are NOT Geordies, and they are very strange.Grin)

What I am thinking of, and these are or were correct names :
"Hark To Mopsy." a pub on the approach to Normanton.
"Swan with Two Necks." Wakefield.
"Queen of T'Owd Thatch." South Milford.
" Dyke Neuk". pub in Northumberland outside Morpeth.

And if Di comes up with the allegedly old tavern in Southend, called "The Pirate with a Wooden Leg, an Eyepatch,and Parrot, and Wench." I will ask the moderators to wipe this thread off. Everyone knows there never were any pirates in Sarfend, 'cos they didn't ave no 'arbour, cap'n.GrinSmile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Sep 2011 - 10:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
16 Sep 2011 - 11:20 PM

The Bucket of Blood - a cornish pub where allegedly the body of an exciseman was found in the well.

I liked Diamond Lil's and the Blue Monkey as pub names, but both gone now.

I think there may be an Ashen Faggott somewhere in Devon.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014930 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Sep 2011 - 11:39 PM

Cricketer's - oldest pub in Brighten. Spent an evening there with a colleague whose great grandfather owned it at one time. She asked to have a bit of a tour, and we were shown the upstairs where there was a wealth of pub memorabelia lying about.

User_Removed
16 Sep 2011 - 11:45 PM

'The case has altered'
Ruislip, Middx.
Very small but very popular.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93505 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
16 Sep 2011 - 11:53 PM

Quote: What about posting old pub names to enlighten us and increase our knowledge ?

Still in West Yorkshire....I think I've got it right ..."The Pot Oil" in Wrenthorpe

....Mike

Last Modified By MikeRC at 16 Sep 2011 - 11:53 PM
coliwolii
coliwolii  569 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Sep 2011 - 2:23 AM

"The Nutshell" in Newmarket - possibly the smallest pub in the country?

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2011 - 3:14 AM

Jackson's Boat on the banks of the Mersey in Chorlton cum Hardy Manchester - named after the rope ferry that used to be the only way of crossing the river for miles (apparently my granddad used to work it..)

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 44037 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2011 - 8:05 AM

I have heard of "The Brink O' Doom" but do not know if it really existed or was fictional. Was meant to have been in east London, Rotherhighe or thereabouts.

We frequented a pub in Southampton named the Shield & Dagger, known locally as the Feel & Shag Her.

User_Removed
17 Sep 2011 - 8:19 AM

Quote: "The Nutshell" in Newmarket - possibly the smallest pub in the country?

Not really an odd name though is it?
By the way, it's in Bury St. Edmunds.
If you have 8 punters in, it's packed! Wink

MrGoatsmilk
17 Sep 2011 - 9:15 AM

The Brewers Droop was a great real ale pub in Willenhall. Even had old motorbikes on the walls. Sadly long gone

bfgstew
bfgstew  8668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2011 - 9:25 AM

We have 'The Black Boy' in Retford, very politically incorrect!!!!!!

Quote: 'The case has altered'
Ruislip, Middx.
Very small but very popular.

When I lived in Bedfordshire there was a pub, and I use the term loosely, called The Case Has Altered, it was someones living room! Used to go there for darts matches, used to be fun!

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2011 - 10:10 AM

The "Sheep Heid Inn" in Duddingston, Edinburgh claims to be 650 years old. It's one of only a few pubs that still have a skittle alley - great fun when you've "had a few".

Andy_Cundell
17 Sep 2011 - 11:50 AM

Quote: I liked Diamond Lil's

Hmmm, now did you used to frequent the said 'Diamond Lil's', or maybe Boobs across the road as well?

keith selmes
17 Sep 2011 - 12:08 PM

I wouldn't say I frequented Diamond Lil's but I do remember drinking there.
There was another pub called Star of the West I think, another name that stuck in my mind, but I can't remember anything else about it.
I also don't remember if I was ever in Boobs, there were a few places along there that just sort of blur into memory.
Pretty rough some of them.
I never saw Union Street in its heyday though.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014843 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Sep 2011 - 12:16 PM

Peveril of the Peak - Manchester

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.