Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Strange results when photographing the moon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    AnneB50
    AnneB50 e2 Member 2103 forum postsAnneB50 vcard Scotland18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 12:09 PM

I took some photographs of the full moon this week as part of an exercise for an OCA course I'm doing and got some strange results. We were asked to measure the range of exposure in different scenes in order to calculate the dynamic range of the camera. I took some with the exposure measured directly from the moon which were fine and a couple from a much darker parts of the sky and ended up with two moons in the image, one totally blown out and the other under exposed and blue. I realise that this is probably some reflection within the lens caused by the long exposure but wondered if anyone else had come across this. In every case I was using manual focus, stop metering, ISO 100 and f6.3 so only the shutter speed was changing, in the case of the double exposure the shutter speed was 1.6 sec.
    dsc-1946-0736-edited-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Nov 2012 - 12:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hi Anne, I'd say top shot Smile i thought you'd merged it in software. Not had this before myself but would be proud if i did. I guess its a reflection too.

Getting the moon exposure right can be real tricky - took me ages to realise how bright it actually is.

robthecamman
    30 Nov 2012 - 12:37 PM

f11 or f16 at 1/125th manual focus

mikehit
    mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 2:01 PM

Cool!
    Is that image the full frame: it would be interesting to now if your camera waspointing directly at the moon or was it to the side of the frame.

I bet you can't go out and repeat it tonight Tongue

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 2:02 PM

Hi Anne, it may be on your filter - try again next month with filter and without and see if you can repeat the shadow image.
    Alan

AnneB50
    AnneB50 e2 Member 2103 forum postsAnneB50 vcard Scotland18 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 2:17 PM

I did have the moon to the side of the frame because I didn't want it dead centre so yes, that is the full frame Mike.

Was using a Sigma 150 to 500 lens at 500mm and it does have a UV filter on it Alan.

Was using manual focus and could see all the detail quite clearly, can anybody tell me why such a small aperture when there is nothing between me and the moon, or is there..... I was using the widest aperture that I had on this lens at this length and do have some that I'm quite pleased with.

Anne

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 3:24 PM

You need to stop the lens down to a smaller aperture ( or use a higher shutter speed) because the moon is basically a sunlit landscape and the exposure would be similar to what you need if shooting something like a field on a sunny day. hth.
    Joe B

rambler
    rambler e2 Member 6469 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 4:15 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but it appears that the second image is inverted making almost certainly a reflection onto the filter from the outer lens element.

Or is it the effect you get once in a blue moon?

Ken

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Nov 2012 - 5:09 PM

Quote: Strange results when photographing the moon

Same here - I started to sprout a lot of hair and had the urge to howlWink

User_Removed
    30 Nov 2012 - 8:03 PM

Just suggestions (I have no idea why you got that very interesting result):

1. Remove the filter from the lens.

2. Start at 1/60th at f/11, ISO 100, and adjust as necessary from there.

3. Manual focus (as you have done). It should be just short of infinity on that Sigma lens.

4. Turn off the OS on the lens.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Nov 2012 - 8:04 PM
    AnneB50
    6 Dec 2012 - 1:13 PM

Thanks all, having googled this, the cause is apparently a reflection from the lens barrel but it doesn't say more than that. I will try is again next full moon using the suggested settings and see what I get.

Anne

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.