Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Straps and walkaround bags

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 1:00 AM

First of all bags: now that I have a decent walkaround lens for my Canon 5D II (a 24-105L) I feel more inclined to take it out in the holster bag I've had for some years. However I'd really like a bag which performs the same function, and is as compact and light, as the simple holster but does not shout "camera" to some and (in these paranoid days) "gun" to others! Grin I've looked at the websites of the usual suspects (Lowepro, Tamrac etc) but haven't spotted anything. Anyone got ideas on what might suit?

Secondly straps: I increasingly find a neckstrap a nuisance but am not brave enough to dispense with a strap altogether! Does anyone use a wrist strap (lanyard) with their DSLR? If so, do you have a recommendation.... obviously it will need to be rather stronger than the sort of strap usually provided with compacts.

Thanks. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jun 2009 - 1:00 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cmawson
cmawson  11271 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 - 1:51 AM

As far as lanyard straps for various cameras are concerned (including DSLRs), this website Gordy's Camera Straps comes highly recommended by some photographic friends of mine in Canada & the US.

Last Modified By cmawson at 17 Jun 2009 - 1:52 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 3:15 AM

Thanks Chris. I've actually done some more searching, since I first posted, and found this Canon product.

What I'm not wholly sure about is whether it would be strong enough for the camera/lens combo mentioned above. I'm guessing it would be but, if anyone has one, it would be good to hear. Smile

Oh, and in case people are wondering why I'm looking at a video strap, well the 5D II does of course do video, and I'm finding I use it for video as much as for stills. A neckstrap is near-useless for video with this camera.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 17 Jun 2009 - 3:16 AM
MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 - 7:28 AM

Hi....I posed a similar question re. straps and a number of members responded in favour of hand straps :
see here....

http://www.ephotozine.com/topic/t-60535

....Mike

Last Modified By MikeRC at 17 Jun 2009 - 7:28 AM
martin_hurton
17 Jun 2009 - 9:02 AM

The National Geographic Medium Shoulder Bag doesn't shout camera and would fit your set-up in. Lots of pockets for wallet, keys, ran jacket etc also. It works fine as a shoulder bag but you couldn't stand it down or trust it to slide around the boot as it doesn't have that much padding in it (which makes it a good shoulder bag...)

Kata have a new range of shoulder bags out and the DC 445 would fit your requirements whilst offering a good amount of protection. It does look like a camera bag though.

Randle
Randle  894 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 - 9:05 AM

If you are looking for a camera Bag for walking around and not shouting cameras etc.
I am happy with my Think Tank - Urban Disguise 30 shoulder bag.
I have recently been around Italy carrying my Canon 5D mk11 with 24-105 & 75-300 and few filters etc. I can recommend it!

JamesBurns
17 Jun 2009 - 9:25 AM

The Boda bag and the Shootsac are both relatively recent and developed by American wedding photographers. They were both created on the premise that they were mainly lens, as opposed to camera, bags - on the supposition that a wedding photographer would mainly not be putting their camera away. In reality it's possible to fit a body in too if you're packing relatively light.

The Shootsac is a bit more girly, and it has a range of different covers to stay in touch with your feminine side. The Boda appears to be a bit more functional, and also has an optional waist strap, so you can wear it like an oversized bum bag while you shoot... The bonus of each is that whilst they're padded, they're not over-padded, so they're both quite low profile against your back/waist - You don't feel like you're always going to clatter someone.

On the strap side of things, I've always fitted a hand and a neck strap, but I predominantly use the hand strap. The bonus with Canon over Nikon in this area is that Canon design fittings for a hand strap into their bodies/grips. On my Nikon I have to use a strap that screws into the tripod mount... I use OpTech straps, so if I don't need the neck strap, I can always disconnect the strap part and clip the two camera ends together. The hand strap is nice and secure and holds the camera easily into your palm - I can highly recommend one.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 11:10 AM

I`m also on the look out for a bag that does not scream camera.

Toying on the idea of army surplus, not to expensive and no problem customizing/adding dividers etc from old camera bags.

Something here might give you a few idea`s.

Randle
Randle  894 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Jun 2009 - 12:36 PM

The problem with non camera bags are they most likely do not have adequate padding and water repelant to protect your expensive equipment.

SteveCharles
17 Jun 2009 - 12:52 PM

It is my life's mission to find the perfect bag, that doesn't look like a camera bag and can hold a reasonable amount of things other than camera equipment. I don't know why camera bag designers assume everyone wants to look like they're on expidition. I think I might have to design one myself and become the next Jim Domke.

Short of using a Lidl carrier bag, which obviously doen't look like you are carrying a camera or anything expensive, if a little short on protection, the best I've seen so far is the Tenba Messenger.

I haven't bought one myself yet as I can't decide between burnt orange and plum.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 12:57 PM

definitely orange.

fauxtography
17 Jun 2009 - 12:59 PM

Quote: as I can't decide between burnt orange and plum.

LOL! Grin

I'm with you though, I've yet to find a bag that's right...The Crumpler I have is the closest, but those Tenba Messengers look quite good.

Last Modified By fauxtography at 17 Jun 2009 - 12:59 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 1:00 PM

After getting into photography, I can finally understand why women like to have lots of handbags.....

LOL

conrad
conrad  910873 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 1:14 PM

Hehe, I know exactly what you mean, Cole. Thinking about a third photo bag now...

rowarrior
rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jun 2009 - 2:39 PM

Quote: I haven't bought one myself yet as I can't decide between burnt orange and plum.

Difficult - orange to match your eyes or plum to match your skintone Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.