Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Streaks on black areas when printing on Canon MP620

phader 5 16 3
17 Jan 2012 5:49PM
Hi folks,
I don't think this has been covered elsewhere... I have a Canon MP620 which for a long time has produced ok results for photos.

The problem: Now when I print photos, any area of shadow (or any deep black) comes out with streaks. Text docs are fine, black included.

I've called Canon who took me through steps to disable the colour profile of application software, and told me to try decreasing the quality to guard against over-intense printing. Didn't work, sadly.

The large black ink tank seems to have been playing up, often seems to need replacing even when doesn't look as though it should. Have replaced.

I use cheapish non-Canon inks, but have never had problems like this before. I also use cheap-ish paper!! Maybe I'm just cutting too many corners??? But why just the black?

Anybody had a similar problem? Anybody got tips for trying to clean the printer out in case that's the problem?

The machines now about 3 years old and we have moved house...

Thanks, folks, as ever!

Andrew

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2012 7:22PM
I recently, daftly, stored my 4500 printer over a heater, the inks in the ink carrier coagulated and gave results like you describe. Mate daft again but I took the ink carrier out. Washed it under a jet of tap water and shook out all the extra water, dried it and printed ok straight away. Worked for my 4500.....
bagman e2
3 65 United States
17 Jan 2012 7:54PM
ran in to this five different times in the years of using canon printers . each time it tuned out to be the paper it,s self. discovered this when i used a different paper form other box.
before that i clean the heads .try different inks. relining the head. nothing worked until paper change.
i hope this would be of some help.
frank.
phader 5 16 3
17 Jan 2012 11:47PM

Quote:I recently, daftly, stored my 4500 printer over a heater, the inks in the ink carrier coagulated and gave results like you describe. Mate daft again but I took the ink carrier out. Washed it under a jet of tap water and shook out all the extra water, dried it and printed ok straight away. Worked for my 4500.....

Aha, I have had a gentle pull at the carrier (which I guess is the thing you shove the cartidges into) and can't quite work out how to get it out!! Do I just pull (scary!) - will try to find manual for this... thanks for tip though. It does feel like this might be the case - not least as my study is always dustier than it should be!!!!

Thank you! Grin
phader 5 16 3
17 Jan 2012 11:49PM

Quote:Ran in to this five different times in the years of using canon printers . each time it tuned out to be the paper it,s self. discovered this when i used a different paper form other box.
before that i clean the heads .try different inks. relining the head. nothing worked until paper change.
i hope this would be of some help.
frank.

Thanks, this is helpful. I have been using cheap papers, and maybe they just don't take the black ink as well..... I guess (if I can't fix this using JackAllTog's tip above) I'll have to get some better paper and ink!

Thanks for response! Grin
phader 5 16 3
17 Jan 2012 11:50PM
PS bagman, did you go for Canon paper in the end?!
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2012 11:51PM
Yep that's it Smile on mine it has a lever that releases it then it just lifts up and out. Washing electronic modules (just a few connections into the plastic molding) is wrong - but worked for me that time.
Good luck.
11 Mar 2012 8:57PM
if you want a quality print then use quality ink and quality paper - which for me means the manufacturer's products. Others will disagree but read the science why they work together.
Maddie e2
9 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2012 9:34PM
Manufacturers paper is all to often re-branded from another manufacturer due to their being very few actual producers of paper intended for photographic ink jet printers.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.