Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Streaks on black areas when printing on Canon MP620

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    phader
    phader  53 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2012 - 5:49 PM

Hi folks,
    I don't think this has been covered elsewhere... I have a Canon MP620 which for a long time has produced ok results for photos.

The problem: Now when I print photos, any area of shadow (or any deep black) comes out with streaks. Text docs are fine, black included.

I've called Canon who took me through steps to disable the colour profile of application software, and told me to try decreasing the quality to guard against over-intense printing. Didn't work, sadly.

The large black ink tank seems to have been playing up, often seems to need replacing even when doesn't look as though it should. Have replaced.

I use cheapish non-Canon inks, but have never had problems like this before. I also use cheap-ish paper!! Maybe I'm just cutting too many corners??? But why just the black?

Anybody had a similar problem? Anybody got tips for trying to clean the printer out in case that's the problem?

The machines now about 3 years old and we have moved house...

Thanks, folks, as ever!

Andrew

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jan 2012 - 5:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53625 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2012 - 7:22 PM

I recently, daftly, stored my 4500 printer over a heater, the inks in the ink carrier coagulated and gave results like you describe. Mate daft again but I took the ink carrier out. Washed it under a jet of tap water and shook out all the extra water, dried it and printed ok straight away. Worked for my 4500.....

bagman
    bagman  365 forum posts United States
    17 Jan 2012 - 7:54 PM

ran in to this five different times in the years of using canon printers . each time it tuned out to be the paper it,s self. discovered this when i used a different paper form other box.
    before that i clean the heads .try different inks. relining the head. nothing worked until paper change.
    i hope this would be of some help.
    frank.

Last Modified By bagman at 17 Jan 2012 - 7:58 PM
    phader
    17 Jan 2012 - 11:47 PM

Quote: I recently, daftly, stored my 4500 printer over a heater, the inks in the ink carrier coagulated and gave results like you describe. Mate daft again but I took the ink carrier out. Washed it under a jet of tap water and shook out all the extra water, dried it and printed ok straight away. Worked for my 4500.....

Aha, I have had a gentle pull at the carrier (which I guess is the thing you shove the cartidges into) and can't quite work out how to get it out!! Do I just pull (scary!) - will try to find manual for this... thanks for tip though. It does feel like this might be the case - not least as my study is always dustier than it should be!!!!

Thank you! Grin

phader
    17 Jan 2012 - 11:49 PM

Quote: Ran in to this five different times in the years of using canon printers . each time it tuned out to be the paper it,s self. discovered this when i used a different paper form other box.
    before that i clean the heads .try different inks. relining the head. nothing worked until paper change.
    i hope this would be of some help.
    frank.

Thanks, this is helpful. I have been using cheap papers, and maybe they just don't take the black ink as well..... I guess (if I can't fix this using JackAllTog's tip above) I'll have to get some better paper and ink!

Thanks for response! Grin

phader
    17 Jan 2012 - 11:50 PM

PS bagman, did you go for Canon paper in the end?!

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53625 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yep that's it Smile on mine it has a lever that releases it then it just lifts up and out. Washing electronic modules (just a few connections into the plastic molding) is wrong - but worked for me that time.
    Good luck.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 17 Jan 2012 - 11:52 PM
    StevenJLewis
    11 Mar 2012 - 8:57 PM

if you want a quality print then use quality ink and quality paper - which for me means the manufacturer's products. Others will disagree but read the science why they work together.

Maddie
    Maddie  92714 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Mar 2012 - 9:34 PM

Manufacturers paper is all to often re-branded from another manufacturer due to their being very few actual producers of paper intended for photographic ink jet printers.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.