Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Street and candids

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
MichaelTuska
22 Oct 2012 - 10:49 PM

Shortly going on Med. cruise and want to further my images of sights and scenes on board ship .
Will produce them as black and white images.
To be discreet (and have a camera to hand at all times) what compact do you recommend for quality results?
I do have a Sony NEX7 with 18-55 and 55-210 but sometimes that can be too obtrusive and not practical.

Thanks,
Mike T

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Oct 2012 - 10:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 12:08 AM

How much do you want to spend.

I use a Fuji x10, but if you want to be discreet you can`t get any better than the new Olympus XZ-2, it shares a lot of the same feautures as the OM-D, it even has the same tilting touch screen, very discreet.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Oct 2012 - 12:10 AM
RobboB
RobboB e2 Member 764 forum postsRobboB vcard United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 7:57 AM

I use the X10 too. Great camera

JaHa
JaHa  242 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 9:10 AM

Why not go for a small prime, like the NEX 16mm? Seems a shame to use a compact if you have an NEX-7 already, and the 16mm would make it a lot more discreet from what I've seen.

timbo
timbo  11591 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 9:30 AM

Another vote for the X10 here. It's a compact but so much more. I never go anywhere without it.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111879 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 10:40 AM

Your Sony NEX7 with whatever lens is more than adequate for street photography.

It's a myth that the street photographer has to be undertaken in a discreet or surreptitious manner with a tiny camera thatís easily hidden away.

Personally I use a big hulking Canon 300D with 28-135mm or 10-20mm lens and achieve good results. The trick is to be open and honest that you have a camera, itís amazing how quickly you become Ďpart of the street furnitureí.

Having your camera hidden away then quickly whipping it out to covertly capture a shot is more likely to result in people thinking that youíre up to no good.í

peted01
peted01  570 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 11:00 AM

agree with redsnapper, dont hide it and be honest, talk to people and ask them if you can take their photo

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 11:03 AM

Ricoh R8 is fine except the flash is a little under powered.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 11:38 AM

Quote: It's a myth that the street photographer has to be undertaken in a discreet or surreptitious manner with a tiny camera thatís easily hidden away

No its not a myth, some feel more comfortable being discreet with a small camera Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 11:53 AM

Quote: agree with redsnapper, dont hide it and be honest, talk to people and ask them if you can take their photo

This is a great approach if you want cooperation but it always results in the same...slightly uncomfortable "natural candid" poses or cheesy grins / obviously not candid shots. I do prefer real life shots and the only way to get those is with highly skilled actors, or when the person is naturally unaware.

Paul Morgan
23 Oct 2012 - 11:59 AM

That`s were the OM-D`s touch screen comes in to play, even though they know your about to take there picture they just assume your faffing with the back of the camera Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 12:23 PM

Something you can use at waist level, i.e. with a tilt-screen, is useful.

Alternatively hang a DSLR/CSC camera around your neck and use a high-res camera phone to actually take the photos. Nobody will imagine that, with a 'proper' camera so visible upon your person, you are using your phone. Grin

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 12:32 PM

Quote: Alternatively hang a DSLR/CSC camera around your neck and use a high-res camera phone to actually take the photos. Nobody will imagine that, with a 'proper' camera so visible upon your person, you are using your phone.

Even without the camera I've found it easy to use a phone to take candids. You just have to hold it as though you're using some aspect of the phone.
candid-1.jpg

Paul Morgan
23 Oct 2012 - 12:50 PM

I`ve been caught out a few times using my old MJU11, quite embarrassing Smile

Its a clam shell design, every time you slide it open it activates the flash, you can switch it off but this has to be done every time you open it.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 23 Oct 2012 - 12:50 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 12:55 PM

Quote: you can switch it off but this has to be done every time you open it.

I have actually taped up the flash on my camera phone because of this! Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.