Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Street Photographers Beware?

Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
7 Jul 2012 6:43PM
This seems, on the face of it, a disturbing story about police behaviour.

Story here and update here.

Any thoughts?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
7 Jul 2012 7:10PM
Part and parcel I`m afraid.
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
7 Jul 2012 7:14PM
if it had been police in our area it would have taken them at least 2hrs to reach the `scene'...
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
7 Jul 2012 7:51PM
Par for the course, I am afraid. I think we are going to see this sort of thing more often.

The important thing is that photographers know their rights, refuse to be intimidated by over-zealous police and, above all, keep their temper and act with the utmost courtesy no matter how much provocation they face.

Ain't always going to be easy but if you kick a policeman in the nuts you have unfortunately put yourself into the wrong.
779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Jul 2012 7:57PM
If you acknowledge the police presence they leave you alone. A quick look and a nod of the head goes a long way.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
7 Jul 2012 7:58PM
And a friendly wave? Grin
7 Jul 2012 8:01PM

Quote:And a friendly wave?

Steady on, I wouldn't go that far.
Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
7 Jul 2012 8:24PM
I wonder if that friendly lawyer advertises his services on afternoon daytime TV?
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
7 Jul 2012 10:01PM
The op described it as disturbing - I am not sure it was 'disturbing', although when in print with well written language and buzz words it begins to come across a little on the concerning side. I am afraid that this type of overreaction happens both by the police and also by and with the encouragement of the public as well. We the public have become over sensitive to these matters and hyper responsive, the police have reacted and fed on this hysteria. From reading the story it seems likely an of duty officer has been a little over zealous and has acted in a manner, albeit well intentioned, that may now cause the force some embarrassment so they are clamming up, releasing standard responses and not offering a complete transparent answer to this - the pr department swinging into action. I have seen many many incidents with telephone reports being released into the media (although not in circumstances were actions were being questioned or disputed) so this data protection reason is a little confusing. I don't think anyone was really detained, nobody was forced to delete images and no charges resulted after enquiries showed no offences. All's well that ends well, but maybe it was an unecessary event that even the force involved know was a silly overreaction by a well meaning off duty officer. I think we can sleep safely tonight still. It won't be the last.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
7 Jul 2012 10:17PM
The very fact that two gentlemen in their 70s were subjected to this harassment by police officers who clearly do not know the law is just a trifle disturbing.

e.g.

Quote:The photographers, who refused to delete their images, have told how they were left reeling in shock after police told them they were suspected of taking indecent photos of the boy.

Morley said police grilled them for half an hour in Guildford city centre and described the manner of the off-duty officers as 'aggressive'.

Jestertheclown 6 6.4k 241 England
7 Jul 2012 10:26PM

Quote:Morley said police grilled them for half an hour

I'm not doubting anyone's integrity here but was that 'half hour actually thirty minutes? Did he time it? Did the officers time it? Or is it a 'journalistic 'half an hour,' that may have lasted ten minutes?
Even ten genuine minutes, being asked questions, the weren't 'grilled,' by the police seems a lot longer. Perhaps more so, if you're getting on a bit.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
7 Jul 2012 10:35PM

Quote:The very fact that two gentlemen in their 70s were subjected to this harassment by police officers who clearly do not know the law is just a trifle disturbing

Not harassing for the parents or children then ?

Quote:Morley said police grilled them for half an hour

Serves them right, bring back the stocks I say Smile
7 Jul 2012 10:40PM
Mountain out of a molehill. Reeling in shock, come on.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
7 Jul 2012 10:43PM

Quote:Not harassing for the parents or children then ?

Is this harassment?

Quote:taking pictures which happened to include an image of a boy who had been in a pushchair

Quote:Mountain out of a molehill. Reeling in shock, come on.

You'd probably feel different if you were at the receiving end........... which one day you may be.
7 Jul 2012 11:02PM

Quote:You'd probably feel different if you were at the receiving end........... which one day you may be.

I have been questioned by the police on occasion about why I am taking photos. Some are idiots and some aren't. But I have never felt the need to talk to a magazine about it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.