Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Street Photography

B_Real 9 126 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 7:20PM
Why isn't there a 'Street Photography' tag or category on this site?

I'm often finding that when tagging I'm umming and ahhing between portraits/people and landscape/travel. Is street tog not a recognised form on here...?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
8 Oct 2012 7:21PM
What is street photography ?
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
8 Oct 2012 7:37PM
photography taken in a street? Grin
as a starter......usually includes people going about their daily business or doing unusual things...but always in the street (or doorway)...and often is candid (e.g. without the pesron in the frame realising it)
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
8 Oct 2012 7:47PM
Does it have to be a street, or include a person and if it does include a person, dose it even need to be candid Smile

There`s plenty of tags already supplied.
dathersmith 7 550 12 England
8 Oct 2012 8:08PM
You can always add your own Street Photography tag.
nickthompson 7 133 England
8 Oct 2012 8:12PM
I just type in Street Photography.
SlowSong e2
6 4.6k 29 England
8 Oct 2012 10:08PM
I often tag my pics as Street so it's there if you look for it.
x
cats_123 e2
10 4.0k 25 Northern Ireland
8 Oct 2012 10:15PM

Quote:Does it have to be a street, or include a person and if it does include a person, dose it even need to be candid Smile

There`s plenty of tags already supplied.

No, but just as questionable is why is it Landscape/Travel?...Those who travel don't necessarily take photos of landscapes...isn't it time to have a fresh look at the categories?
B_Real 9 126 United Kingdom
8 Oct 2012 10:38PM

Quote:You can always add your own Street Photography tag.

Quote:I just type in Street Photography.

Quote:I often tag my pics as Street so it's there if you look for it.

Ah... so you can! I was too busy trying to fit in to pre-defined categories. How very un-street like of me.
8 Oct 2012 11:44PM

Quote:There`s plenty of tags already supplied

all the more surprising then that street photography (still) isn't/can't be included Paul. Let's see what happens if we not include "landscape", "Nature", "birds", "flowers"-tags anymore, and tell those who ask for it that 'there's plenty of tags already supplied' Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
8 Oct 2012 11:50PM

Quote:all the more surprising then that street photography (still) isn't/can't be included Paul

Street photography covers one heck of a lot Koen.
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
9 Oct 2012 12:13AM
The beauty with the new system is any category can be made (now called tags) and promoted by individuals who have a passion for that category. But we have kept our original categories as main tags as they are the key categories. So select a main one that is the closest representation of your kind of street photography (is a person in shot the main aspect or is it a building or is it black & white - are there times when none of these are aspects?)
Then start to type street photography as you secondary tag and it will auto select that tag.

In an analogy we have categorised areas of the gallery as main tags, like a supermarket would fruit and veg, meat, fish, dairy and we're being asked to include Tuna as a main tag...when actually it's a fish, or to include a yoghurt coated raisin that could be in diary or fruit.
9 Oct 2012 12:14AM
I'm confused. It's not included because it covers a lot ? As opposed to 'general', 'landscape/travel', 'flash/lighting' or 'close up/macro' ?

actually I don't think it covers a lot. street photography (see in-public, or hcsp on flickr) is just as defined (or just as undefined) as other genres. I know that a lot of photos would be tagged that have nothing really to do with street photography, once you include the tag. but that is not really the point. the point is that if you do street photography, epz gives the impression of not welcoming/acknowledging the genre/street photographers as they don't even acknowledge the tag. It (unnecessary) raises valid questions like 'Is street tog not a recognised form on here...?'
Pete e2
13 18.5k 96 England
9 Oct 2012 12:20AM
The thing is everyone has their own genre of photography and would like their tag to be included in the preset drop down, but that would create an impossibly long and confusing list - maybe the tag search / inclusion facility is not promoted well enough to new visitors?

Try searching for anything using the filter at the bottom of the gallery page - which incidentally will be moved in the not too distant future to make it much clearer to use. We have a lot of correctly tagged photos - this is the Street Photography tag
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
9 Oct 2012 12:26AM
Koen what is street photography can you define it, its not a genre is it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.