Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Street Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64436 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 9:52 AM

So Digital Art would just be images that are obviously unreal such as those by Paree or Eviscera.
Most of us use DM to some extent which is why I leave it off of my tags. But I suppose it's there if you've done a lot of work, say renovating an old and battered b/w image.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Oct 2012 - 9:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Oct 2012 - 10:23 AM

Quote: In an analogy we have categorised areas of the gallery as main tags, like a supermarket would fruit and veg, meat, fish, dairy and we're being asked to include Tuna as a main tag...when actually it's a fish, or to include a yoghurt coated raisin that could be in diary or fruit.

A supermarket that doesn't update it's stock and position products according to customer preferences, loses business.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:30 AM

We listen that's why we created tags to prevent the rigid structure we had. Now it's open and you can customise your supermarket how you like. So not just street photography but you can fine tune and create a new tag "buskers" etc.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96306 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:52 AM

Quote: how would you categorise Digital Manipulation?

One could argue that every image that is uploaded has been digitally manipulated in some way.

So perhaps ALL uploads should have that tag automatically applied as a default Wink

B_Real
9 Oct 2012 - 11:43 AM

Quote: We listen that's why we created tags to prevent the rigid structure we had. Now it's open and you can customise your supermarket how you like.

When uploading a pic to the gallery, I'm forced to pick a 'Main Tag' (I think Mediumsizeunavailable posted the list earlier). This appears to be a rigid structure.

Quote: The new tag based categories are good because if people are using them they naturally become busier and appear higher in the list.

Assuming this is referring to the 'filter by tag' list, rather than the available list when applying a main tag, but either way by restricting the main tag list, the results of any search by filter become biased, as all photographs are forced into a main category by a set list, and any secondary classification as an optional afterthought with inconsistent codings if you're entering free text (the predictive text search list has all sorts of typos).

B_Real
9 Oct 2012 - 11:59 AM

Quote: What is street photography ?

Quote: Does it have to be a street, or include a person and if it does include a person, dose it even need to be candid

Quote: Street photography covers one heck of a lot Koen.

Quote: Koen what is street photography can you define it, its not a genre is it.

Quote: street photography isn`t a genre.

Quote: I`ve often seen street photography described as the most basic form of photography, most genres follow set rules, street photography doesn`t.

Paul you've gone from not having a clue about it, to knowing everything about it in the space of a day. Where have you seen street photography being described as the most basic form of photography? I'm interested because I would like to know where to find these descriptions that have educated you so quickly, my learning curve is not so fast. Everything that I've read and seen about it suggests that it's pretty complicated and a difficult art to get right.

B_Real
9 Oct 2012 - 2:52 PM

Street photography is even recognised on front page BBC.

The movements in motion! Come on epz... let's be 'avin ya Wink

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6612 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States42 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 3:24 PM

I like how wiki defines street photography. For categories on EPZ I have often used people, black and white, but also type Street Photography in my tagline.

I've always considered street to be its own specific genre, but try to work within the current tags. But please change this Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315370 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 4:37 PM

Quote: I agree about the humour fun category feeling odd

It covers a lot of street photography Smile

Quote: Paul you've gone from not having a clue about it, to knowing everything about it in the space of a day

I`ve been at it for thirty odd years.

Quote: Where have you seen street photography being described as the most basic form of photography?

Sit back and think about it Smile

Firstly its not a genre, its a style and a way of working.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 9 Oct 2012 - 4:43 PM
MediumSizeUnavailable

bwah... dunno Paul. I would say that both Parr and Gilden do street photography, yet their style and way of working is different Tongue

anyway, that's all just word play. Personally I think it's a way of life Wink

MediumSizeUnavailable

(yeah! i managed to sneak "bruce gilden" in a thread again Wink )

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315370 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 9:21 PM

Quote: Personally I think it's a way of life

Yep.

Anyway I want a tag for the humble snap shot Smile

Quote: yeah! i managed to sneak "bruce gilden" in a thread again

How about a link as well Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SpBLUkquDk&feature=related

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 9 Oct 2012 - 9:29 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 9:55 PM

Quote: How about a link as well

Why post links - just pop the video straight into your post

Last Modified By Pete at 9 Oct 2012 - 9:56 PM
Paul Morgan
9 Oct 2012 - 10:01 PM

Its Something I`m always forgetting Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 10:09 PM

Isn't street photography just photography for those who can't find a decent landscape ?

Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.