Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Street Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:08 PM

How about "patronising voyeurism" as a definition of street photography?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Oct 2012 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104000 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:35 PM

Quote: How about "patronising voyeurism" as a definition of street photography?

def: Treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority. How is taking a photograph feeling superior?

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 9:51 PM

...many street photos focus on "characters" that the photographer can feel sympathetic with but superior to,as per the definition

Last Modified By rhol2 at 10 Oct 2012 - 9:57 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:08 PM

The most totally and unintelligibly purile description of a vast history of photography I've ever heard. Who Are You!?

Last Modified By SlowSong at 10 Oct 2012 - 10:08 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014740 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:16 PM

nah - terrible definition, go sit on the naughty step Wink

sallybea
sallybea  441 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 - 10:16 PM

Love street photography but then there is always begs the question, should we have the permission of the people in the image before uploading to Ephotozine?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014052 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:20 PM

Well legally you don't need permission, whether you chose to ask for permission or not is up to you.

rhol2
10 Oct 2012 - 10:35 PM

If it's of a specific person or persons,You should ask permission when taking the picture, surely?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2012 - 10:37 PM

Well I'm sure the likes of Cartier_Bresson got signed release forms every time he took a photograph. What would our photographic history show if it weren't for the street photographers? A load of lovely landscapes I suppose. Wow, interesting.

I've never head such idiotic and uninformed comments regarding a photographic style or genre, whatever you want to call it. It seems that you've written off lots of my p/f as patronising booloocks so I'll just bow out and leave you all to it. Thanks a bunch.

Wink

Last Modified By SlowSong at 10 Oct 2012 - 10:38 PM
B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 - 11:28 PM

Quote: You asked if street photography was recognised on this site, a silly question really, add your own tags.

I hardly used this site up until about a month or so ago. When I didn't see an option to click a tag for street photography, I thought I would ask why and thought that perhaps it is not a recognised form of photography on here, given that the majority of pictures seem to be landscapes. Now, when I asked this question, I did not realise that I could type in my own tags, and even if I did realise this amazing feature, the question about not having a clickable tag for street photography still remains. So again, your most recent statement leaves me confused. Is it me not realising that I can add my own tags that makes my question silly, or is it the question itself?

If it's the former, then it's not the question thats silly, but rather me for not realising that I could do something that you are quite clearly capable of (adding your own tags that is, well done you!). See, it's me being silly if this is the case, not the question.

If it's the question itself that you're professing as silly, then I'm assuming you mean this in one of two ways:

1) Insultingly. In which case, thank you for perpetuating such a warm and welcoming attitude to learning about photography on here.[epz edit - refers to deleted post] I'm sure that's a type of culture that will benefit a lot of people on here.
2) A 'jokingly obvious way'. As in, it's a silly question because the answer is a resounding 'obviously its recognised! everyone knows street photography!', then you're merely adding weight to my plight to have street photography given its own clickable tag, and validating my original question. See that?

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between those two, but either way may I remind you, again, you're the one who asked what street photography was, and then mocked it, and then claimed to have 30 years experience in it (well that's what I thought you were claiming, perhaps 30 years of talking garbage was more accurate than I suspected) yet still asked people to define it for you. Google it if you don't know. And if you do know, why ask. If you don't know, why act the font of all knowledge on it, and keep blubbering on about it not being a genre when no one actually cares whether you think its a genre or not.

Anyway, my silly question has generated some interesting discussion from some people, and some not so interesting discussion from you. I am proud of it. In fact, I may just use it on my profile.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 11 Oct 2012 - 7:52 AM
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 12:02 AM

I would have thought that Pete's answers had covered it.

Ah well, that's just me, I suppose. Sad

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 12:12 AM

Yes I know Jas Sad

Quote: Hence I asked you the question about where you had seen street photography being described as the most basic form of photography

[edited by epz - unnecessary]

"Now I understand that 'Street Photography' is just 'Photography' in its simplest form, it is the medium itself, it is actually all the other forms of photography that need defining, landscape, fashion, portrait, reportage, art, advertising....these are all complicating additions to the medium of Photography, they are the areas that need to be defined, ring fenced and partitioned out of the medium of 'Street Photography'.

When a child picks up a camera and pushes the button that simple spontaneous image is a Street Photograph, it is, first of all, a raw reaction to the scene in front of it, a person, a car, a color. That primitive urge to react, to make a picture is at the heart of Street Photography beyond any other area of picture making, it comes before any other agenda.

So we are all Street Photographers before we narrow our sights and impose conditions and rules on ourselves to become Portrait photographers, Fashion Photographers, Landscape Photographers, Art Photographers (whatever that really means) etc."

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 11 Oct 2012 - 7:49 AM
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 12:18 AM

It's a great thing to know when to walk away............

Last Modified By Just Jas at 11 Oct 2012 - 12:18 AM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 12:25 AM

Yep Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 5:24 AM

Quote: It's a great thing to know when to walk away............

.....and turn the other cheek.Smile

Kenny Rogers

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.