Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Street Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 4:58 PM

Quote: To me this says something about different classes co-existing in society

All I`m seeing is a drunk and somebody else reading a paper, class difference is not on my radar.

Here`s a good example of no rules, they then go and add there own hypercritical rules Smile Smile

No wonder most street photographers prefer to work alone Smile

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nrsp/discuss/72157629544984643/

And this is a good example of adding rules, but this is a competition and as with most competitions, rules and guide lines apply.

http://www.lfph.org/what-is-street-photography

Quote: Oh I see what you've done now, I know where you're coming from. I get it! I finally get it. You read something on the internet, then without thinking about it for yourself and drawing your own conclusions and opinions, passed it off as fact in an open forum where people are trying to discuss the subject. And you're still not addressing my question, I asked you where you had seen the description

Like I said, its been discussed an awful lot, in books, magazines and on the web, time and time again and over many years, I have now addressed your question more than once.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points

Quote: Are we talking Street or Documentary? I would say that Documentary is intended to educe emotion much more than Street, which is more about irony and amusement, often even banality.

A documentary shot could be taken absolutely anywhere. Similarly a candid shot. A street image is what it says, taken on the street.

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 - 5:17 PM

Quote: But if that is your definition of 'street photography' then (coming back to your OP), that would argue against EPZ having a 'street' category because you would be on the same category of photos that aren't. Wink

Ha ha... you caught me out there!

Kind of... if I tag my picture as street, then it's because I think it's street. If someone else doesn't find it interesting, or think that it's not street, then that's fine. If I search for street, and find ones that I don't find interesting, then that's fine as well and I'm entitled to my opinion that I don't think their photo is interesting enough to be street. But I'm still insterested to see their attempts at it, and may offer feedback if I thought I could help to improve their work. Like mediumsize mentions above it's an evolving process, and you can only learn from practice and discussion.

The same would apply for other categories... 'humour/fun' for example, if I saw other pics in 'humour/fun' that I didn't find humerous or entertaining in anyway, that doesn't stop other people from tagging their pics that way.

Quote: as is very moderate pp

That whole post was good and indicative of just how unbasic street photography really is. I'm interested in this bit tho, always wondered about the levels of pp that the good street togs put into their work. I can never really tell. Have you seen the digital rev vids 'pro tog, crap camera' or something... they get a pro tog and he uses the most basic point & shoot, but they still come out with some impressive results. That must be through some pretty extensive pp?

Last Modified By B_Real at 11 Oct 2012 - 5:20 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 5:52 PM

Quote: A documentary shot could be taken absolutely anywhere. Similarly a candid shot. A street image is what it says, taken on the street

I`d also say a street shot can also be taken anywhere, your not tied to just the street.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 7:34 PM

Quote: I`d also say a street shot can also be taken anywhere, your not tied to just the street.

I thought a street shot was just that by definition. This is all getting very convoluted.
Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6606 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 7:45 PM

Quote: I`d also say a street shot can also be taken anywhere, your not tied to just the street.

I thought a street shot was just that by definition. This is all getting very convoluted.
Smile

What about photos taken at train stations, airports, museums, restaurants?? What category would you place these in. Smile

MediumSizeUnavailable

yes, street (the genre) is certainly not confined to merely "taken on the street"

Quote: always wondered about the levels of pp that the good street togs put into their work. I can never really tell.

well, most street photographers that work in color (I think b&w is quite outdated nowadays. you tend to lose the contemporary feeling, and often mood becomes more (possibly too) important) seem to use little or no pp. At least that is the impression I get when I look at In-Public. Most color photos very much have that "in camera" feel. I very much appreciate that approach.

those shooting in b&w often seem to use more pp. of course there is the conversion to b&w itself, but then often they seem to use more contrast as well. Still, overall pp remains quite moderate.

Quote: they get a pro tog and he uses the most basic point & shoot, but they still come out with some impressive results

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/mediumsizeunavailable-32827/gallery/photo/the-win... : this one was taken with simple point and shoot: canon powershot A95 . converted to b&w, and slight increase in contrast. just to say, if the conditions are right, you can get very good results with a simple p&s. with a better camera the range of right conditions just gets a bit broader.

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: What about photos taken at train stations, airports, museums, restaurants?? What category would you place these in.

illegal genre Wink

Paul Morgan
11 Oct 2012 - 7:49 PM

Quote: I thought a street shot was just that by definition. This is all getting very convoluted

Yeh it always does Smile

I once went on a kind of street meet(not part of EPZ) It was dull I was bored stiff, it lacked any thought or creativity, lol I drank a lot of coffee that day, I`d never seen as many hypocrites herded in one small place Smile

SlowSong
11 Oct 2012 - 8:07 PM

Quote: I once went on a kind of street meet(not part of EPZ) It was dull I was bored stiff, it lacked any thought or creativity, lol I drank a lot of coffee that day, I`d never seen as many hypocrites herded in one small place

I don't think street is the sort of stuff you can really do in a crowd. I takes a bit of concentration and thought, so milling around with a load of other bods wouldn't be my idea of a productive outing.

PS. Hope you don't think I'm some sort of hypocrite. I've had enough of a bashing one way or another this week. Grin

Paul Morgan
11 Oct 2012 - 8:09 PM

No not you Chris Smile

SlowSong
11 Oct 2012 - 8:10 PM

Quote: No not you Chris Smile

XXX

franken
franken e2 Member 113056 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 8:40 PM

Quote: I don't think street is the sort of stuff you can really do in a crowd. I takes a bit of concentration and thought, so milling around with a load of other bods wouldn't be my idea of a productive outing.

I think the same way Chris.

Ken

Paul Morgan
11 Oct 2012 - 10:06 PM

Quote: I don't think street is the sort of stuff you can really do in a crowd

I agree, in my case it was more to do with there naive beliefs and attitudes and the rigid conformity stifling creativity and thought that I found so dull.

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Oct 2012 - 10:57 PM

Quote: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/mediumsizeunavailable-32827/gallery/photo/the-win... :

Nice pic, and nice portfolio. I'm still fairly new to all this so still digging the b&w look just now. Quite like how b&w separates the subject from the background in some cases, so I find it easier to use that to distinguish my pics a bit more, although i'll use colour if I think b&w isn't adding anything. Loving SlowSong's stuff as well, some good use of colour in her portfolio. Your pics get tonnes of clicks! They're all really good.

I guess different effects work for different photos. It's catching the right scene that's the hard part!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.