Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Street Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Oct 2012 - 11:30 PM

Quote: Some posts have been removed, I'm sure you can (and should be allowed) to have a discussion about anything without insults. Please use the report facility for individual comments that need addressing (you will find that in 'options' on each post, we will get to them sooner and before things get out of hand. Thanks for your cooperation

Sorry but this does not make any sense, why have my post been removed.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Oct 2012 - 11:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64539 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
12 Oct 2012 - 8:51 AM

Quote: Loving SlowSong's stuff as well, some good use of colour in her portfolio. Your pics get tonnes of clicks! They're all really good.

What an intelligent and discerning young man. I must add you to my click list. GrinWink

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104030 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 7:53 AM

at the risk of re-invigorating this thread Wink

those interested in `street photography' might be find this useful

7 steps to get over your fear of....

enjoy SmileSmile

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64539 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 9:13 AM

All good advice there, cats. I used to be wary but I went out with just the 10-20 quite a while ago and nothing horrid happened, and have practically stuck the S100 up people's noses and nothing happened then either. So now I just snap and hurry on. You get used to it, but you do have to choose your subjects. Grin

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 - 11:56 AM

That's a great read and delighted to find that I'm already instinctively doing some of the suggested tips... pretending to be a tourist for example. Lost count of the number of 'fake' pictures I've taken of the background shortly after someone has noticed me shooting them Smile

Can vouch for the 80-200 f2.8 getting a lot of attention. Not hugely important when you're shooting people from distance tho!

If anyone's still reading this thread - what camera / lens do you use for street photography? I'm on the hunt for my next camera, and the OMD or RX100 are looking great for this kind of stuff...

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 11:58 AM

Lots of street photography from Leeds here...

https://www.facebook.com/LeedsPhotography

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104030 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quote: what camera / lens do you use for street photography?

although the longer lenses are good for anonymity...I don't think you can beat the wider angle...am using a Nikkor 18-70 at the moment. Smile

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 - 2:32 PM

Yeah I've borrowed a mates Nikon 12-24mm a few times, it's amazing. People never think you're photographing them because you're pointing in a different direction... little do they know Smile

User_Removed
17 Oct 2012 - 3:20 PM

You could always use a right-angle spy lens like this one.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 3:30 PM

Brad apologies for calling you an anal arse a few pages ago, no hard feelings Smile

What I`ve found best, is to throw other peoples rule books out the window and come up with your own set, if you then develop a style you will be following your own set of rules instinctively anyway. There`s nothing wrong with pre set rules but its good if you can adapt them to your own way of working while keeping an open mind.

One thing I sometimes do the works well is to dress up silly so I stand out, some people end up asking for there picture to be taken, its always works well at the Henley regatta.

I want to go back to what I said earlier when I said street photography is the most basic and simplest form of photography, I struggled for years trying to work out what this meant and I was once very shy on the street.I`m not saying street photography or social photography is easy, it can be hard, especially over coming our fears and becoming confident.

Earlier you talked about Erik Kim being a good source of information, have a look at this interview he did with Anders Petersen, section 10, Maintain an “innocent eye” the whole artical is a good read, this is where I was coming from.

And also this Lensculture audio interview, again with Anders Petersen.

http://www.lensculture.com/petersen.html

And this other article written by Erik Kim, loads of tips here.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2010/09/101-things-i-have-learned-about-stree...

Quote: If anyone's still reading this thread - what camera / lens do you use for street photography? I'm on the hunt for my next camera, and the OMD or RX100 are looking great for this kind of stuff...

My Fuji x10 compact, lovely little camera, great features and lens with a great sensor, and flash sync at all shutter speeds, just lovely for street portraits using external hand held flash.

http://danbaileyphoto.com/blog/10-things-i-love-about-the-fujifilm-x10/
http://thex10blog.blogspot.co.uk/

My OM-D, great with the supplied 12-50 kit lens, I`ve written an article that might be up soon.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 3:32 PM

Quote: You could always use a right-angle spy lens like this one.

I've always thought those things only draw more attention, not less! Grin

A swivelling LCD screen, so you can hold the camera at waist level, as if you are chimping, probably works as well as anything.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2012 - 3:49 PM

Quote: Yeah I've borrowed a mates Nikon 12-24mm a few times, it's amazing. People never think you're photographing them because you're pointing in a different direction... little do they know

I've taken this approach a few times - the main downside is people often tend to be distorted at the edges of the frame. I prefer the lead character to be more central to the frame

Paul Morgan
17 Oct 2012 - 3:59 PM

You have no excuses now Pete, that touch screen on the OMD is built for the street Smile

Paul Morgan
17 Oct 2012 - 4:26 PM

Quote: Earlier you talked about Erik Kim being a good source of information, have a look at this interview he did with Anders Petersen, section 10, Maintain an “innocent eye” the whole artical is a good read, this is where I was coming from

I forgot to add the link.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2012/08/10-things-anders-petersen-can-teach-y...

SlowSong
17 Oct 2012 - 5:01 PM

What a great article Paul. Thanks for posting. I've read part of it but it's very long with some interesting links so I'll go through it a bit at a time.

I note he recommends forgetting about settings etc. and leaves his camera on P. He uses simple cameras. There are so many whistles and bells on today's DSLRs that we need to take it off of P to feel that we're getting our money's worth otherwise we might just as well just all use a point and shoot.

He preferred the students' photos that asked more questions than having answers - So do I. I always think many of your images do just that.

But sometimes he contradicts himself. At the beginning he says you shouldn't need to think about what you are doing, just use your instinct (heart not head). Then later in the article he says, "You have to consider the composition, the subject, how to approach them, the light, the settings on your camera, the position of your body, and so forth. .... a perfect marriage of form and content .... rarely happens." which suggests that he does actually think about it. What I understand from that is that we need to know exactly what we are doing and subconsciously know when something is "right", then you can forget about all the technicalities and snap away unheeded by rules.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.