Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Street Photography and Children

crookymonsta e2
6 704 10 England
12 Mar 2012 5:35PM
We were in Brighton on Sunday and I spotted a couple of young boys with micro scooters and a blow up doll! Took a few shots, a couple of which are very funny and I would very much like to share them on EPZ but am concerned that this would not be appropriate, given I don't know the boys. Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
12 Mar 2012 5:50PM
That seems to me like a very sensible approach.

I suppose, in reality, that the old adage would apply; that you can shoot whatever you like in a public place and posting on the internet is open season but I do understand and appreciate your concerns.

Jester.
f8 11 9.2k 22 England
13 Mar 2012 12:03AM
As long as they were not doing anything illegal or compromising it should be OK.
awphot 2 14 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 4:32PM
Why on earth would it not be appropriate.
People - whether 9 or 90 - in public are "fair game" as long as you don't caption it in a libelous or defamatory way.

If it is an interesting, fun or whatever picture then post away.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2012 4:36PM
Children with a blow-up doll could be interpreted as sexual content and that alone makes it tricky. But if the incongruity is obvious and amusing then I would see nothgin wrong with it being posted, but in your position I am not sure what I would do. Can you see the kids' faces (that is, are they recognisable)?
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2012 5:48PM
In camera Club, national and international competitions, you will still see plenty of photographs of children. However, the photographs are usually of close family or taken in another country (india is popular) as it appears no other countries are as paranoid as the UK.

I was involved with a great photoshoot involving three teenagers and a run down grafiiti covered location in the UK. After completing the shoot we then realised that all three were only 15. We contacted the parents of each who then gave us written permission to use the images for non-commercial purposes (all we ever wanted); if we had not got permission we would have all deleted the images. In return we supplied the teenagers with some cool photographs. I know a handful of photographers who still take street photographs including children but they aways get permission from a parent in advance.

Dave
devlin 4 651 39 India
18 Mar 2012 7:17PM

Quote:(india is popular) as it appears no other countries are as paranoid as the UK.

ive travelled around a good deal and yes....this is more of an issue in the west rather than anywhere else..........

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.