Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Stripping down the OS vista

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dangermouse76

A simple question with a complecated answer if there is one I feel.

I want to dual boot vista and vista on my laptop
one my normal OS but the second a stripped down version that only loads enough for me to load up whatever image grabbing or manipulation software I need.
I am trying to make the thing run faster and be less of a battery drain when I take the laptop outdoors.
I have aleady tried turning everything off and deleting various stuff but surely you can run as if it in safe mode almost and have a default setting on boot to only load a predefined set of programmes and drivers. What ya reckon am I dreaming anybody hear done it, help please.
and honestly dont suggest getting XP put on with my laptop its virtually impossible.
Acer 5610, duo core 1.86Ghz 2 gig of ram.
cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Oct 2007 - 6:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
4 Oct 2007 - 6:43 PM

Why is XP imposible?

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2007 - 6:43 PM

I think what you are seeking is a the normal version of Vista, and a "slimed version", that you have an option to boot into. Don't think thats possible, as any "normal" application that you wish to run is likely to require the full functionality of Vista. Perhaps a solution would be to install a different OS, like Linx or MacOS.

Mike

dangermouse76

yeah mip007 you have it thats what I want.
I cant install XP easily as some of my hardware only has vista drivers no XP drivers have been written for them. I have looked into it but it seems some laptops are easier than others to move to XP.

MarkyMarc
MarkyMarc  9498 forum posts Canada
4 Oct 2007 - 7:26 PM

Which hardware has no XP drivers? It looks like most of the hardware is covered to me:

Aspire 5610 Drivers

dangermouse76

thaks I couldnt find them maybe I will rip off vista then. Question still stands is there a way to run a stripped down version of XP? ie just loading primary drivers, and for example an image editing programme. cheers again, thanks for the Advice markymark.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
4 Oct 2007 - 7:38 PM

Quote: I cant install XP easily as some of my hardware only has vista drivers no XP drivers

I find that very hard to believe, what hardware manufacturer is not going to provide XP drivers when most Windows users are still using it?

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
4 Oct 2007 - 10:11 PM

The way to save resources with XP is to go to 'classic view' and there are resources on the net, you should find it possible to disable at start-up processes that are not needed for your use of the computer.

With 2GB RAM and a dual core processor, you shouldn't be struggling that much if you have invested in a laptop with the correct processing power.

Jo

dangermouse76
4 Oct 2007 - 10:55 PM

my XP driver info ( cambirder ) comes from having a look at installing XP on a vista laptop via searching google alot of people seem to be having a problem. Now this maybe isolated incidents that I am picking up on. So apologies if I am simply being inept.
But i dont appear to be the only one having trouble with the mechanics of installing XP onto an OEM vista laptop. Thanks little jo for the advise I think Back to XP if possible is the way. maybe I am having bad luck but vista is freezing and conflicting alot more than XP. Should of known better.

Last Modified By dangermouse76 at 4 Oct 2007 - 10:56 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
4 Oct 2007 - 11:26 PM

As far as I am aware, The driver situation is the other way around, In that just about everything that is in current production is XP compatible.

Drivers are being written for Vista, Eventually in some cases.

When you see a badge or Logo stating a PC or Laptop is Vista machine or Designed for Vista, What they are actually saying is that the components in said box, Have Vista compatible drivers, And these in most cases have passed Microsofts, WHQL certification.

(( Windows Hardware Quality Labs ))

Drivers are still available for Windows 2000 on over 90% of todays hardware......Why would they exclude Windows XP........It would be a market suicide.....And does not fit with the trend towards backwards compatibility, That has kept the industry in business since forever.....Smile

dangermouse76
4 Oct 2007 - 11:47 PM

well that settles I am getting rid of vista. I cant hang around waiting for it to get better. I feel a trip to ebay for an XP CD. Cheers cameracat.

Kim Walton
Kim Walton e2 Member 10144 forum postsKim Walton vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 11:07 AM

Why dont you try a virtual machine(VM ware)

http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/overview.html

Last Modified By Kim Walton at 5 Oct 2007 - 11:09 AM
malum
malum e2 Member 10622 forum postsmalum vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 2:52 PM

Dual boot with XP, don't get rid of Vista.

Nlite will give you a stripped down version of XP

The problem with XP on a Vista laptop is identifying the hardware, not a lack of drivers.

Go into the device manager in Vista and make a list of exactly what everything is before you start and then you can get the drivers easily enough.

I did it last week and it is tricky to find the right drivers sometimes but I got there in the end.

dangermouse76

cheers malum marky marc above left a link for drivers for my laptop so this is possible.
Maybe I am being anal but it seems to make sense to run a stripped down version of the OSif you are out in the field wanting to look at or edit photos. Save some battery life and process images alot quicker. Thats OK isnt it am I going over the top with this.
Help.

malum
malum e2 Member 10622 forum postsmalum vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Oct 2007 - 4:16 PM

Quote: Cheers malum marky marc above left a link for drivers for my laptop so this is possible.
Maybe I am being anal but it seems to make sense to run a stripped down version of the OSif you are out in the field wanting to look at or edit photos. Save some battery life and process images alot quicker. Thats OK isnt it am I going over the top with this.
Help.

I would say that you were going over the top and the difference would not be noticeable but don't let me stop you trying.
It's the kind of thing I'd try just for the fun of it lol

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.