Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Studio Backdrops - save a bit of cash!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2007 - 10:43 AM

setting up studio backdrops --------Save yourself nearly £150.00………….

I have done some research into the following - you may like the benefit of what I’ve discovered:-

I have just rationalised my studio backdrop set up from a Heath Robinson affair to a more professional looking outfit. I discovered vast differences in some of the prices you need pay out – dependant on your DIY ability and willingness to put in a bit of time.

You can buy two virtually identical “3 backdrop” holder kits the difference in price being £80.00 - SEE HERE AND HERE

If you are wall hanging the items there is no difference at all between the kits – !!!

However if you plan to mount them on “Autopoles” you will need to attach the mounts to ”Superclamps” SEE HERE – the expensive set comes with the necessary nuts and bolts BUT with the cheaper set you will have to drill 4 holes in each mount and get the threaded bolts from a good hardware stockist to attach the mounts to “Superclamps“– that’s the only difference I’m told !! -– at this stage be prepared to take your time and be accurate in your drilling – not nuclear science but it takes a bit of skill!

the Superclamps attach simply to the “autopoles” ( SEE HERE Autopoles 3.7 meters ) - Autopoles come in a variety of extendable lengths, the one I used is pretty well as cheap as any of them - £160.00 - and longer, which allows for any future moves.

You now get down to the poles for hanging the back drops. Karlu advertise “Alucore” as being suitable and useable with the wall mounting sets – BUT the fella I spoke to said they did not work – frankly I didn’t believe him and went ahead and ordered a single pole at £35.00 SEE HERE – however when they didn’t have it in stock and I was subject to a delay I shopped around and discovered an alternative – so cancelled the original Alucore.

I had gone down to Homebase and looked at 50 mm (internal diameter needed) drainpipes but they were too flexible – luckily my brother was around and said what about pressure PVC pipe – voila!

You can get 2 X 6 metre lengths for £72.00 (including £20 delivery – pretty steep) giving you 4 backdrop holders – one too many I grant you but heh! Spares are pretty useful too. 4 Alucores will cost £140.00 - bare in mind you need virtually 50mm internal – I choose the following spec for rigidity class “D” code no pvc.cld0630 – works a treat SEE HERE

Add info – the bolts used with the Supercramps appear to be 4mm 2BS thread – sorry but I took a cramp along to the hardware and asked them to fit without asking the size – you need at least two lengths 25mm for attaching the wall brackets to the cramp and also nuts and bolts of 40mm (maybe longer) for other attachment abilities - when you get the cramps study them carefully and get ideas about what you can screw/bolt to them – I for instance have used a length of 12mm X 75mm X 2metre pine to make a boom arm for a light! I used all four holes on the cramp for attachment to lessen the boom dropping.

You can also attach two cramps together using the bolts mentioned – very useful – I actually bought 4 X Autopoles - 2 pairs – and six cramps – will be getting more cramps.

Also bare in mind some backdrops are wider than the 2 X 3 metres you’ll get from the plastic pipe – and all backdrop pipes/poles need to be the same length for any one system

Finally dont take my word for nowt - check it out for yourself - what I said is what I've done Smile - I'm pretty chuffed with the result s! good luck!

OK I’ll stop now Smile

Last Modified By davidbailie at 1 Nov 2007 - 10:49 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Nov 2007 - 10:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023027 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2007 - 11:19 AM

Would be worth doing this as an EPZ article, Davie.

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2007 - 11:58 AM

So that's what all the hammering and drilling was all about .. hehe!

Nice one Davie. Agree with Keef - and why not alternative versions too for the wider market.

8-]

davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2007 - 12:10 PM

Cheers Keith & suzie - might do just that...

Quote: wider market

??....do you mean wider back drops Suzi ??

db

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023027 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2007 - 12:15 PM

I thought she'd lost weight.
    Wink

daviewat
    daviewat  104104 forum posts Scotland
    1 Nov 2007 - 12:18 PM

Oh Keith thin ice there mate as your room here next weekend just happens to be next door to the smaller trimmer but still as fiesty miz blue Smile

Bellie
    Bellie  7507 forum posts
    1 Nov 2007 - 12:46 PM

As an alternative to the Autopoles, these from ikea might work. They also do hooks and clamps for this system too. The poles at £20 each are a bargain for this kind of thing.

prentis12
    prentis12  8 United Kingdom
    1 Nov 2007 - 1:08 PM

Hi

You may wish to look at this price for a Triple Manual Drive Support kit at - www.backdropsource.co.uk

It is some what cheaper again (at £46). The set I received looks the same as that from Karlu with two exceptions:

1) The holes are all ready drilled in the support plates.

2) The chains were all white plastic.

A pair of black autopoles can be had for £96 from www.thomann.de

Delivery of both items was speedy (5 days approx) and can be tracked on-line.

Hope this helps.

PS I have no ties to these retailers.

Last Modified By prentis12 at 1 Nov 2007 - 1:09 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    davidbailie
    1 Nov 2007 - 1:31 PM

Quote: It is some what cheaper again (at £46). The set I received looks the same as that from Karlu with two exceptions:

1) The holes are all ready drilled in the support plates.

2) The chains were all white plastic.

The price mentioned is excellent (wish I'd known of it myself)- however the spec is exactly the same - the holes I'm talking about are for autoplole support - the holes your'e talking about are for wall mounting I suspect which also comes with the Karlu - none of this detracts from the good price!

Interesting though their version of the super clamp is 3 or 4 times the price - perhaps it's better!

I see they do a three stand 6 metre wide bg support - all you need is a 6 metre room - in fact I have one - my passage - hopeless for shooting though Smile

Quote: £20 each are a bargain for this kind of thing.

sure good price - but I think here you're getting very much what you pay for - which amongst else doesn't appear to include a simple and necessary wedge system!! - in fact it looks as though you probably need to fast fix the system top and bottom ??.... nothing wrong with that - just less portable & convenient in some ways

I would caution against using poles and wall supports which are not up to the task - a light falling from height on your head will be unpleasant to say the least - professionals wouldn't dream of using inadequate equipment ........would you ??? Smile

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 1 Nov 2007 - 1:35 PM
    davidbailie
    1 Nov 2007 - 1:55 PM

Quote: their version of the super clamp is 3 or 4 times the price

- in fact I'm wrong - looked again - must have seen something else earlier ??

db

davidbailie
    1 Nov 2007 - 5:33 PM

Another possible bit of mis-information ........

the machine screws needed are more commonly known as M4's - presumably metric 4mm Smile

been down the high street and rechecked

db

Last Modified By davidbailie at 1 Nov 2007 - 5:34 PM
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Nov 2007 - 5:41 PM

Something I use and its reliable and cheap as chips is two smallish hooks on opposite wall `s.

A bungee tie cut in half with each half attached to opposite ends of a rope, this keeping the background support taught.

Then simply thread or use a handful of bull dog clips for your cloth.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.