Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Studio lighting

16 Feb 2013 10:33PM
I have studio lights that I need/want to learn how to use to take portraits. Can anyone offer some advice? Or can anyone recommend a good book on studio lighting? I have studied photography but didn't think to learn studio lighting. Thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
16 Feb 2013 10:50PM
You tube is a very good source, and it cost nothing, start with basic single light setups and as your knowledge and learning progresses gradually add more lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQxF80lpIV8

Get your self a mannequin head, there don`t get feed up or tired like people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQxF80lpIV8

Invest in a flash meter, there not only useful for working out exposer levels. there also a good learning tool as well.
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 11:38AM
As Paul says, good starting point and I think he may have meant a light meter or am I wrong? Anyway, try this link, which I'm sure you will like, Sekonic , where they cover lighting and all sorts of webinars on photography and using light meters. Try Panamoz for your light meter, they're a very good company to deal with and I got my Sekonic L758DR from them at really good price. Hope it helps.
Stephen
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2013 1:47PM
No, Paul means a flash meter. Different beasts, though you can get combined ones.
With a flash meter, you fire the flash and the meter remembers the reading so you can set the aperture on the camera for optimum exposure. Shutter speed has little to do with studio flash as long as its below the flash sync speed and high enough to eliminate ambient light, so a normal meter reading wouldn't necessarily work.

Nick
Chrism8 e2
8 753 14 England
17 Feb 2013 2:06PM
The Sekonis L308s is a very good meter for both natural light and flash, good value at around 130 ish
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
17 Feb 2013 6:08PM

Quote:No, Paul means a flash meter. Different beasts, though you can get combined ones

I`m still using the original Polaris from about 20 years ago, wex were selling the Mk11 for a while, I could never see any difference between the two versions.

Light meters are a good investment, they will last years, most cover flash and ambient and there pretty cheap (no need to buy the dearest and most complicated)
27 Feb 2013 5:50PM
Thank you so much guys!! Info extremely helpful.
dp e2
10 163 3 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 9:00PM
To chip in a classic lighting setup to start you off with 2 lights is both at 45 degrees to the subject and one light (main light) to be 1 stop more powerful than the fill light. so one on f11 and the other f8. Measured with a flash meter as Paul says. That will get you a starting point. If you add a third light it is often a hair light set at, about f13 or f16 depending on what colour the hair is.
And Paul is right the only difference that I have ever found between expensive and cheap flash meters is one costs more money than the other.

Dave
User_Removed 7 736 4
27 Feb 2013 10:08PM
I found "Light: Science and Magic" a really useful book when I was learning studio light. Book on Amazon

It enabled me to get through the studio lighting module on my photography degree without any useful teaching by the 'tutor'.
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 12:53PM
Hi Angie,

Starting with a few basics even though you have a degree in photography.

Do you also have trigger cables or wireless triggers to fire the studio flash's?
You'll want to set the camera to Manual, Say ISO100 or ISO200, choose a shutter speed of say 1/125 sec - then adjust the aperture and the studio head power to get a good exposure on the subjects.

For a good author and the whole process I'd recommend a book from your US's own - Scott Kelby.
"Light It, Shoot It, Retouch It: Learn Step by Step How to Go from Empty Studio to Finished Image"

Good Luck
Stuart
25 Mar 2013 1:16PM
I just posted this up, worth checking it out

Lighting
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
25 Mar 2013 4:54PM
Also have a good look at feathering techniques, great for single light setups, off camera strobist type flash and so on, you don`t even need studio lighting.

Just a single camera flash fitted with some pretty basic modifiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_RGunD1tngg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.