Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Studio Lighting for heavy use. Cheap v Expensive kits?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
26 Sep 2011 - 9:49 AM

It is my intention to do far more portraits now and i currently use elinchrom d-lite 2 and 4 studio heads. I have been looking at different studio lighting kits and notice that some kits can cost about 3000 for a 2 head kit as opposed 2 just a few hundered. I would like to know what the difference is. Are the 400 kits up to withstanding heavy use where 500 shots are taken in one session on a regular basis or will they go fauty before an expensive kit will. I am considering opening a studio so would like to puchase more lighting that suits heavy use if my current kit is not up to it? Any advice.

Thanks
Lucian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Sep 2011 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2011 - 9:56 AM

I think you already know the answer Lucian, of course the more expensive kit should have a longer service life, and no the 400 kits are not designed for heavy use. So either buy two or three sets of the lower cost stuff so you have spares and just accept you will kill it quickly. Check that the warranty covers your type of use.

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
26 Sep 2011 - 10:27 AM

Hi Strawman. Thats what i was thinking regarding warranty. I could get cheaper kits that are under warranty and if they went wrong i could get them replaced under warranty. The reason i was asking is because i already have elinchrom d-lite heads and dont know if it is a good idea to use different lights on background and subject so did not know if i should buy another identicle set or go and puchase more expensive lights. I will need to puchase 4 heads so i dont know if anyone could recommend what sets to get.

Thanks
Lucian

thewilliam
26 Sep 2011 - 10:37 AM

We've used Broncolor since we first set up because it was used in the studio wher I learned my craft.

The greatest single advantage is that it's WYSIWYG - the light quality from the modelling lights exactly the same as you're going to get from the flashtubes.

They do a superb range of light-shapers.

Broncolor is probably the most reliable and longest lasting of all marques. We can plug a 30 year old head into a current pack. We did renew all the packs when we went digital because the older versions aren't as colour stable.

Broncolor is one of the most expensive, but to use the words of l'Oreal, it's worth it.

scottishphototours

We use Bowens in the studio and they have been 100% reliable. They also have a great range of modifiers and are also very colour stable. I'd recommend them.

thewilliam
26 Sep 2011 - 11:24 AM

If the OP isn't completely happy with Elinchrom, which along with Bowens are standard kit in many professional studios, he really needs to go top-end.

Did Lucian ever buy the Leica S2 outfit that several of us recommended?

Last Modified By thewilliam at 26 Sep 2011 - 11:25 AM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2011 - 12:06 PM

I would have thought w/s is also one of the reasons flash heads increase in price - within the Elinchrom range, there's a significant price difference between a 250w head and a 1200w head.

Also the shorter recycle times /flash-tube technology adds cost too.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022892 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna30 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2011 - 12:07 PM

Would be good to know which units he thought were best to manage just over eight hours of continious shooting - thats one long day.
Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315154 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2011 - 12:58 PM

Just get heads with user removable flash tubes and carry a couple of spares Smile

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
26 Sep 2011 - 1:30 PM

One of my elinchrom lights blew up a couple of years ago and it got fixed under warranty. this happened at a time where some photographers said their elinchroms had problems with overheating so i went and bought the fan cooled version as well. I like the light i get from them, it is easy to adjust the power. I have not used them enough to know if they are up to heavy use though. I dont need all the things like brollys that come with the lights because i have all that stuff already. Ideally i would like to get 4 high quality lights for as reasonable a price as possible. I need quite a fast recycle and sync speed so any advice on lights and prices would be appreciated.

thanks
Lucian

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72190 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2011 - 1:42 PM

So, working along the lines that you stick with Elinchrom, as you have all the light modifiers you need, why not talk to the people at The Flash Centre - they've always been very helpful to me.

thewilliam
26 Sep 2011 - 6:35 PM

Lucian, if you want fast recycling, check out the new Scoro packs by Broncolor.

Lucian
Lucian  4539 forum posts
26 Sep 2011 - 9:13 PM

Never heard of Broncolor. How much do they cost for 4 heads on stands? So standard flash modifiers fit them?

Railcam
Railcam  7466 forum posts Scotland
26 Sep 2011 - 10:36 PM

As you are intending to set up a serious studio, I am really surprised that you have never heard of Broncolor. Have you done any personal research of what is available? Do you buy any professional magazines such as Photo Professional (formerly Photo Pro)? They regularly to comparisons of studio and outdoor lighting kits and carry advertising from the lighting manufacturers.

The message you are sending out is akin to someone setting up an executive car rental business and saying he has never heard of Rolls Royce or Mercedes Benz.

Sorry if this comes over a bit negative but you cannot make a rational descision if you have not fully researched all the options. Reasearch needs to be deeper than asking questions on EPZ

thewilliam
26 Sep 2011 - 10:58 PM

Hasselblad import Broncolor. Does that give you a clue about its quality?

check out www.bron.ch

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.