Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Studio Lighting Setup for Groups?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    shafiq786110
    4 Dec 2012 - 6:25 PM

Hi All
    I need a bit of help please!
    Ive been asked to do some group shots at an event this friday. There will be a booth where people can come, get their photo taken and order the photos. I have a sub-dye printer rented in so we can offer the pictures to be taken away on the night.
    What i need help with is the lighting setup please. Im expecting groups from 2-7 people (Approx) and i need a static lighting setup that will work for all groups. I have 2 Elinchrom D-Lite it 4's, a 600EX-RT, 580EX, and a 430EX at my disposal. Accessory wise, i have enough brollys, snoots, beauty dishes, and softboxes as well as a boom arm. Can anyone suggest a decent lighting setup i can use?
    Thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Dec 2012 - 6:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Dec 2012 - 6:43 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZcsg4LYo9Y
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0pBaPRRg_o

shafiq786110
    4 Dec 2012 - 7:10 PM

Thanks Paul! Smile

Spencer1966
    4 Dec 2012 - 8:42 PM

What background you using?

shafiq786110
    4 Dec 2012 - 8:48 PM

ill be using a cloth backdrop 3x6m. its a cloudy blue texture

Spencer1966
    4 Dec 2012 - 9:03 PM

Id say keep it simple and use just your elinchroms - the 600 as main with a brolly or large softbox with a D lite with brolly for fill. The other could be used just to give a slight glow on the background. I would have the mainlight at F11 and the fill at between 5.6 and F8. If the groups get large and your worried about depth of field just put up the ISO and the F stop accordingly. Remember your settings to move in and out as and when required.

shafiq786110
    4 Dec 2012 - 9:14 PM

Thanks spencer. Sorry just to clarify, do I use the two elinchroms and my 600ex? And where would the lights be positioned? Sorry this isn't the easiest topic for me Tongue

Spencer1966
    4 Dec 2012 - 9:25 PM

Arh sorry mis read thought the 600 was an RX strobe - just use the D lites - perhaps the speedlight zoomed in on the background and trigger this to fire the D lites. Position wise, main just slightly off to the left or right high and 45 degrees down. dont worry too much about exact positions this type of event is more illumination than creativity. As long as faces are correctly exposed and you have nice catclights in the eyes, you can fire away all evening.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 1:14 AM

Quote: What i need help with is the lighting setup please. Im expecting groups from 2-7 people (Approx) and i need a static lighting setup that will work for all groups

How much working area are you going to have.

Keep things as simple as possible, try and use only one light.

shafiq786110
    5 Dec 2012 - 6:07 AM

That's the problem Paul, I won't k ow my working area until I get there

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.