Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Studio lights and the eos 300d

STUARTHILL758 12 33 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2004 7:32PM
can any one advise about firing studio lights from the canon 300d are there any problems whith the polarity on the leads i presume that maual operation should work and set up from a flash meter

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

FrankThomas e2
11 2.8k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2004 7:36PM
you'll need a hotshoe adapter of some description or an IR/Radio slave system as the 300D doesn't have a PC sync socket. You may want to check the trigger voltage of the strobes to make sure it's not too high for the camera, you can get a thing called a "SafeSync" by Wien I think that will sort that out.
You should be able to use a flashmeter but why not just use the histogram to check exposure ?
Daisy_intheMill 10 145 1 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2004 7:57PM
I don't have a 300d but do use 500w flashes with my Nikon Coolpix 5700. I was advised to be very careful connecting flashes by synch to a digital camera otherwise the camera can be seriously damaged. I've opted for an IR trigger that fits onto the hotshoe of the camera and triggers the cell on the lights. If you've got cells on your lights it's a good option and cheaper than a Wein adaptor. I use the histogram on my camera too.
Hope this is a bit more helpful info.
Jude
Tonyd3 10 1.0k 15 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2004 10:03PM
Hi Stuart you should no longer have a problem with this now a days as Canon no longer use the rev polarity that created problems before. However i would use an infra red trigger like the Interfit unit for about 39
Regards
Tony

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.