Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Studio photos on subjects wearing glasses

gavrelle 2 44 England
10 Jan 2013 9:12PM
Those of you like myself who do studio work ( me occasionally). How do you photograph subjects wearing glasses, how do you get round the lights showing in the glasses. What tips do you have?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

backbeat e2
8 134 1 United Kingdom
10 Jan 2013 9:50PM
I usually 'feather' the light at an angle to the subject, rather than direct light....that usually does it

Phil
blastedkane 9 66 2
10 Jan 2013 11:41PM
You can also look at the positioning of lights, do a google search for "the angle of reflection" i think.... Basically, thinking of the fact that the angle of incidence = angle of reflection (think pool table).
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
11 Jan 2013 9:39AM
Would a polarising filter work to remove the reflections?
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 10:04AM

Quote:Would a polarising filter work to remove the reflections?

I wondered about this too..
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 10:28AM
just get them to tip the angle of the glasses down their nose a little and this often works.
Phil
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 11:07AM
Angling the lights or glasses is my approach - also a good cleaning of the glasses as you want to see through them to the eyes. (Sometimes raising the glasses on the nose a bit to get a view through to the eyes too).

See your comment icon and mine.
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2013 12:27PM
No, a polariser will not help much, unless you are exactly at the correct angle (Brewster's Angle) which is not usually convenient for portraiture.

The way to get around it is to tilt the glasses forward slightly...ie lift the stems off the ears rather than slide them down the nose, and/or angle the lighting such that it minimises the reflection. You will never get rid of the reflection completely as glasses are usually curved, though we used to have glasses with no glass in for just such an eventuality!

Nick
gavrelle 2 44 England
11 Jan 2013 7:30PM
Thanks boys!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.