Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Studio photos on subjects wearing glasses

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gavrelle
    gavrelle  230 forum posts England
    10 Jan 2013 - 9:12 PM

Those of you like myself who do studio work ( me occasionally). How do you photograph subjects wearing glasses, how do you get round the lights showing in the glasses. What tips do you have?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Jan 2013 - 9:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

backbeat
    backbeat  8134 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jan 2013 - 9:50 PM

I usually 'feather' the light at an angle to the subject, rather than direct light....that usually does it

Phil

blastedkane
    10 Jan 2013 - 11:41 PM

You can also look at the positioning of lights, do a google search for "the angle of reflection" i think.... Basically, thinking of the fact that the angle of incidence = angle of reflection (think pool table).

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 9:39 AM

Would a polarising filter work to remove the reflections?

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72143 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 10:04 AM

Quote: Would a polarising filter work to remove the reflections?

I wondered about this too..

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 10:28 AM

just get them to tip the angle of the glasses down their nose a little and this often works.
    Phil

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53529 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 11:07 AM

Angling the lights or glasses is my approach - also a good cleaning of the glasses as you want to see through them to the eyes. (Sometimes raising the glasses on the nose a bit to get a view through to the eyes too).

See your comment icon and mine.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41176 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jan 2013 - 12:27 PM

No, a polariser will not help much, unless you are exactly at the correct angle (Brewster's Angle) which is not usually convenient for portraiture.

The way to get around it is to tilt the glasses forward slightly...ie lift the stems off the ears rather than slide them down the nose, and/or angle the lighting such that it minimises the reflection. You will never get rid of the reflection completely as glasses are usually curved, though we used to have glasses with no glass in for just such an eventuality!

Nick

gavrelle
    gavrelle  230 forum posts England
    11 Jan 2013 - 7:30 PM

Thanks boys!!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.