Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Studio Size ... when starting out ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    andrewwhite
    9 Jan 2013 - 3:28 AM

I am looking at a studio that is about 270 sqr feet in size for about 650/month that include heat and hydro ...

is this good for starting out?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jan 2013 - 3:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jan 2013 - 10:44 AM

can you use your 70-200 lens on a subject and still have background separation? how Long is the shooting length?

Costs would have to be answered by other Canadian's in similar cities to yours.

thewilliam
    9 Jan 2013 - 2:11 PM

A skilled photographer can create stunning portraits in pretty well any space but it's easier when the studio is a reasonable size. I'd put the minimum length at 25 feet and width at 12 feet. Height should be 10 feet or more

What's more important is whether the studio is ground floor or up three flights of stairs and in what part of town. This will profoundly affect the rent and determine whether you intended customers will want to visit.

andrewwhite
    10 Jan 2013 - 4:56 AM

I think for one of the locations it is like 12 x 24 and the other is 15 x 16 ...

andrewwhite
    10 Jan 2013 - 4:59 AM

here is what has been offered to me at the moment - I have one location that is something like 12 x 24 for 650/month and a second location that is broken down like this - 2 offices for 600/month and the rooms are sizes of 15 x 16 anf 15 x 13 ...

So I am not sure if any of these will work ...

thewilliam
    10 Jan 2013 - 9:52 AM

When starting as a full-timer, I worked from home. The studio was a 14 foot square bedroom and the selling was done in our sitting room.

It's possible to work from pretty well any space but the location will affect your business a lot more.

andrewwhite
    6 Jun 2013 - 7:58 PM

for a studio these days shooting small families no more then 4 - what would be a great size for a studio??

marksilvester
    11 Jun 2013 - 10:45 PM

That seems a lot to pay for such a small space. Mine is about 800 sq foot (www.ptpstudio.co.uk) I have an office / waiting area, model dressing room and a large studio all for under 500 p/m with Elec. there are pictures on the studio hire page. Its in a great location just off the main A12 about 2 miles from A14 on a bus route that runs every 15 minutes to town centre and Railway station and within a very short walk I have a large Tesco, Next at Home, KFC, M & S food store a Gym, bowling etc etc.

I also have loads of parking all free.

andrewwhite
    12 Jun 2013 - 4:06 PM

Is it better to own your own space or to rent space monthly from someone else?

One way to look at it - if you had your own space you could rent it out to other people when you are not using the space to help pay for the space ...

riddell
    riddell  958 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Jun 2013 - 10:49 AM

As others ahve said a decent photographer can take photos in any space, but if I was laying down some money for a studio you'd need to consider flexibilty and the ability to take lots of different shots.

I'd want an absolute minimum of about 20' x 20'

12' is no way near wide enough for big groups or just to space the lighting out.

Paul.
    www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

andrewwhite
    14 Jun 2013 - 3:20 PM

So I would be looking at atleast 400 sqr feet if it works around 20 x 20?? I guess anything over 400 sqr feet is a bonus when starting out ...

I have found a few spaces that are about 1,000 sqr feet - the question I have about this sort of location these are store front / retail store locations. do I need the store front and pay the extra for it?

Thoughts?

andrewwhite
    14 Jun 2013 - 4:44 PM

Here is a spot that looks like it might have what I want - it is 16 x 100 - with storage in the basement - for 1300 a month.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.