Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Studio Space question for newbie

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    frosti7
    frosti7  3
    14 Dec 2012 - 8:23 PM

Hello everyone!
    this is my first post in this forum,

My friends asked me for help about setting up a studio for photographing cloths on doll's for online shop,
    the space i have to work with is a tiny 4x2.2 meters (13'x7'),
    I've received some very nice suggestions from other forums, and would like to ask for more opinions on whether this can be done.

Option 1:
    building a light box using opaque white panels as reflectors, and using single light, looks like this:
    http://i46.tinypic.com/2qwk0f6.jpg
    In theory, the white panels would soften the shadows but will flatten out the output too much

Option 2:
    Using a LastoLite Hilite illuminated background as a sidewall giant-softbox which would give head-to-toe even illumination, but also allowing me some hard contrast (because its on the side of the wall)
    http://i50.tinypic.com/2zghjb7.jpg

I haven't seen a studio in my life...so i would really love to hear the opinion of anyone with experience in studio about those options as they seem very plausible to me.

Thank you!
    -Ros

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Dec 2012 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
    GarethRobinson e2 Member 8997 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2012 - 9:14 PM

1 white background card, cloth anything, 2 x manual flashguns 50 each in softboxes about 30 each to light up the front and side of the subject. You can put the softboxes as close to the subject as you can, 1: it saves power and 2: gives a nice soft wrap around light. Job down.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 14 Dec 2012 - 9:16 PM
    Bayrunner
    Bayrunner  2 United Kingdom
    15 Dec 2012 - 9:31 PM

Rather than the Hi Lite I would look at one of the larger Cubelites also made by Lastolite for easy product work - A couple of cheapish continuous lights, one either side and away you go. See CUBELITE
    This will fold away quickly and easily when not in use, freeing up the space for other things.

The space shouldnt be a problem for dolls clothing - provided you don't swamp yourself with boxes and packaging.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Dec 2012 - 7:12 PM

What size are the cloths and dolls.

frosti7
    frosti7  3
    18 Dec 2012 - 2:06 PM

Paul, Human size.

Thanks guys, it sounds like its doable,
    Bayrunner - i've thought about the cubelite - but i'm afraid i wont have enough space to lit it evenly from its sides since the room is very narrow,
    Gareth- Should i use normal suqare softobx? - would i have enough space for 2 softboxes? the room is narrow and only 2.2m wide (7 feet)

Thanx guys!

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53667 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Dec 2012 - 1:54 PM

Can you just paint the walls with a matt white paint and bounce the light off of the walls and ceiling ? Use a white sheet over the window?

I've found bright white high key stuff like this quite easy in small spaces with the right paint.

Are the dolls also called mannequin's?

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 19 Dec 2012 - 1:54 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.