Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Studio Space question for newbie

frosti7 3 1
14 Dec 2012 8:23PM
Hello everyone!
this is my first post in this forum,

My friends asked me for help about setting up a studio for photographing cloths on doll's for online shop,
the space i have to work with is a tiny 4x2.2 meters (13'x7'),
I've received some very nice suggestions from other forums, and would like to ask for more opinions on whether this can be done.

Option 1:
building a light box using opaque white panels as reflectors, and using single light, looks like this:
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qwk0f6.jpg
In theory, the white panels would soften the shadows but will flatten out the output too much

Option 2:
Using a LastoLite Hilite illuminated background as a sidewall giant-softbox which would give head-to-toe even illumination, but also allowing me some hard contrast (because its on the side of the wall)
http://i50.tinypic.com/2zghjb7.jpg

I haven't seen a studio in my life...so i would really love to hear the opinion of anyone with experience in studio about those options as they seem very plausible to me.

Thank you!
-Ros

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

14 Dec 2012 9:14PM
1 white background card, cloth anything, 2 x manual flashguns 50 each in softboxes about 30 each to light up the front and side of the subject. You can put the softboxes as close to the subject as you can, 1: it saves power and 2: gives a nice soft wrap around light. Job down.
Bayrunner 2 2 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2012 9:31PM
Rather than the Hi Lite I would look at one of the larger Cubelites also made by Lastolite for easy product work - A couple of cheapish continuous lights, one either side and away you go. See CUBELITE
This will fold away quickly and easily when not in use, freeing up the space for other things.

The space shouldnt be a problem for dolls clothing - provided you don't swamp yourself with boxes and packaging.
Paul Morgan e2
13 15.7k 6 England
16 Dec 2012 7:12PM
What size are the cloths and dolls.
frosti7 3 1
18 Dec 2012 2:06PM
Paul, Human size.

Thanks guys, it sounds like its doable,
Bayrunner - i've thought about the cubelite - but i'm afraid i wont have enough space to lit it evenly from its sides since the room is very narrow,
Gareth- Should i use normal suqare softobx? - would i have enough space for 2 softboxes? the room is narrow and only 2.2m wide (7 feet)

Thanx guys!
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
19 Dec 2012 1:54PM
Can you just paint the walls with a matt white paint and bounce the light off of the walls and ceiling ? Use a white sheet over the window?

I've found bright white high key stuff like this quite easy in small spaces with the right paint.

Are the dolls also called mannequin's?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.