Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Studio Starter Kit - do I go for this one?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2010 - 9:47 PM

I saw this today on the Elemental site here. Before I get my cash out can anyone give me a good reason not to go for it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2010 - 9:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Metalhead
Metalhead  61876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2010 - 10:02 PM

All looks good but FatHandedChap is selling his entire business off as he's relocating...

Might be some bargains to be had from him as it looks like he's selling off everything individually...

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 96057 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2010 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Chris - unfortunately I'm in Gloucestershire and don't drive - it might be a bit tricky..... shame.....

Metalhead
Metalhead  61876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2010 - 10:18 PM

You could see what he's got and if you like it, he may deliver! From what I've read he's moving to Hereford area (Jeez I'm nosey!) so he might be able to drop in on you as he passes through??

I shouldn't really be making plans for other people! I don't know the guy at all! Smile

cattyal
13 Jan 2010 - 10:23 PM

True - I've just send Mr FatHandedChap a request for his stock list - no harm in taking a look and I have a friend who might also be interested.

twodoctors
14 Jan 2010 - 11:39 AM

Short answer is no.

Long answer is also no unless you are on a tight budget.

I have the Elemental G series, which I think is probably the minimum anyone should go for. Reason not to go for the B series is that it does not accept bowen-fit accessories. Now if you are buying to try out studio photography then this may be ok as the price is "right". You may use these for background lights when you upgrade to something more powerful.

I have also tried the M-series, which are also very good. Slightly more powerful than the G-series, and does auto-discharge when turning down the power, otherwise functionally similar. Both have bowen-fit speed ring.

My 2p worth.

Adrian

cattyal
14 Jan 2010 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Adrian - I am on a budget but had already noted that the B series did not have the s-type fit and therefore would limit my choice of accessories as and when I wanted more.

I'll take another look around the Elemental site and see what can come within my budget. It's far too easy to just add another few quid here and there and before I know it I'll be well over what I planned to spend and won't be able to pay the bills!

Chrism8
Chrism8  7745 forum posts England14 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2010 - 4:31 PM

Hi Al, I've had good use from a set of lights from China the kit comprised of 2 x 150w, 1 x 300w unit, stands, light box and umbrellas cost around 249 inc shipping a couple of years ago from Link Delight, a quick google will bring them up,

Good and very positive contact with them and the 300w is a cracking unit, be happy to show them to you if you wished.

Chris

cattyal
14 Jan 2010 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Chris - I've decided that I must stop thinking about this until the weekend - there simply isn't enough time inbetween supposedly working to put serious thought into the matter.

I'll check out the people you suggest though and wrap my head around it all Smile

JasF
JasF  531 forum posts Wales
20 Jan 2010 - 5:36 PM

Hi

If you can stretch another 100, these would be much better (again from Elemental)

Very good quality for the money.

Jason

Last Modified By JasF at 20 Jan 2010 - 5:39 PM
cattyal
20 Jan 2010 - 6:20 PM

Hey Jason - I was going to pop back and update this evening - the ones you suggested are precisely what got delivered today and are currently in the process of being unpacked Smile - plus a snoot....

I need to clear out the studio a bit which will be started first thing Saturday (or sooner if I can get my act together in the evenings) and I'll be trying to figure out what I'm doing all weekend Smile

JasF
JasF  531 forum posts Wales
20 Jan 2010 - 6:32 PM

Hi... good choice, you wont be disappointed, I have the LR55 Digital units and very pleased with them. The whole range is quality and great value.

Don't forget to turn off the modeling lamp when the snoot is attached as the heat generated in that small area will likely damage the bulb.

Have fun ;O)

cattyal
20 Jan 2010 - 10:07 PM

Oh I'm sure I'll have fun - not a clue what the hell I'm doing since I've always used natural light or cool-lights but I'm up for the challenge!

Your advice about the modeling lamp is noted - I won't forget!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315366 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jan 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hope you have stocked up on plenty of food and supplies for the weekend Smile

cattyal
21 Jan 2010 - 8:43 AM

Oh I'll make sure I've ampl;e supples. Of coure the sun will come out, it'll be glorious weather and I'll end up torn about getting out and about or staying put!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.