Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Stuff public library's or stuff snakes?

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 9:39AM
William Hague's antique anaconda cost £10,000 to re-stuff
From the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20174582

With so many other libraries being closed down due to lack of use or lack of funds its seems wrong to me that spending like this to restore an old animal skin.

This seems like the recent super expensive indoor trees incident and the MP expenses scandal - sections of out society spending our taxes for pretty things that they like rather than investing in the growth and development of others that can actually contribute to rebuilding the economy.

Telegraph says "After years of shameful neglect, William Hague has restored the Foreign Office to its proper dignity"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 9:51AM
Not to get pedantic, but the Foreign Office is a state department, which means that this could have come up at any time, under any party. I dont begrudge them this if its been ignored for 50 years, and has been carried out by one of our most revered institutions of education (the NHM).
I've seen local council drop millions on snow ploughing equipment, only to break it all by failing to train staff properly and had them try to plough some speed bumps. Restoration of a cultural artifact is something that I feel inclined to support. It may not be to everyone's tastes, but art is like that.
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
2 Nov 2012 10:47AM

Quote:With so many other libraries being closed down due to lack of use or lack of funds...

Different budgets: libraries are (I believe) funded through local government. Leaving that aside, if libraries are closing through lack of use, it's not necessarily a funding problem...unless they're not being used because they've got no books! Wink
KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 11:35AM
Lack of use, Normally bought about by limeting the access, mu local libery was very busy but closing it half the week to cut staff made it impossible to use unless your at home all day.
Same with some parks owned by the council, Introduce a parking fee of 4 quid and then suddenly the cars no longer pop down to walk the dog or go for a short walk. A year later they will say that it should be sold due to lack of use.
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
2 Nov 2012 11:52AM

Quote:Lack of use, Normally bought about by limeting the access...

Good point, I'd forgotten that ploy. No doubt the budget for "fact-finding" jaunts overseas is not affected by the need to save money. Tongue
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
3 Nov 2012 1:06AM
If it was in the Public Library, was it a Public Serpent?

Sorry, coat and hat on, gloves as well... Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Nov 2012 1:08AM

Quote:if libraries are closing through lack of use, it's not necessarily a funding problem...unless they're not being used because they've got no books!

Hardly any books left in my local library. It's more like an internet café these days................. but no coffee! Grin
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Nov 2012 1:22AM

Quote:It may not be to everyone's tastes, but art is like that

Yep and I say close the libraries and plough the money back into all those drop in day centres that have been closed for the elderly and disabled Smile
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
3 Nov 2012 1:40AM
why not make the libraries into the drop in day centres.. that way you keep the books etc (only being half-flippant there..)
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Nov 2012 2:02AM
No that`s a good idea, but these libraries will become a little less quite Smile
Tooth 9 5.8k 227 Ireland
3 Nov 2012 2:40AM
a man walks into a library and says

"fish and chips twice and a steak pudding and peas please"

the librarian looks at him strangely and says

"this is a library"

so he whispers

"sorry, fish and chips twice and a steak pudding and peas please"

Tongue
thewilliam 6 4.8k
3 Nov 2012 11:38AM
Successive governments have done an effective demolition job on state education. Maybe they want to shut the libraries in case the peasantry want to educate themselves.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Nov 2012 11:41AM

Quote:Maybe they want to shut the libraries in case the peasantry want to educate themselves.

Oh I don't think the peasantry do! Grin
thewilliam 6 4.8k
3 Nov 2012 3:06PM
In most countries, education is seen as the best route out of poverty. England must be one of very few exceptions.

My mother's family is Welsh and a couple of generations back, were mostly very poor. When my cousins gained their Exhibitions and Scholarships for Oxford and Cambridge in the 1960s, they were considered as nothing less than heroes. On every home visit, they'd have to give a progress report to everyone they met.

If they'd been born in an English council estate, they'd have been considered traitors and would have reviled by their neighbours. I'm convinced that this is the real reason why so few working class youngsters go to university.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
3 Nov 2012 5:09PM
I think the 'benefits culture' has a lot to do with it. The second decade of the 21st century sure isn't the 1960s!

Also, qualifications such as A-levels and many degrees are given out with the cornflakes and have therefore become meaningless to employers.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.