Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Stupid Question......Printing Papers

hobbo e2
3 816 2 England
14 Jan 2013 11:49AM
Recently I purchased three packs of 190 gsm Matte Fine-art paper, a bit like water colour paper ........occasionally it works fine through my Epson all in one printer......the prints, when it works are beautiful......but....

Most of the time the printer just refuses to load it, resulting in much swearing and gnashing if teeth......a little nudge may start it......so will pre curving it to enter the feed roller at a better angle.....but most times there is that horrible grinding noise as the paper just refuses to load.

I am thinking that the paper is just too thick for the printer.......I can't make head or tail of those gsm numbers, because the printer appears to take gloss and smooth Matte papers.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced A4 Matte Fine-art paper that will feed though my printer please?

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2013 11:59AM
190gsm is almost certainly too thick for your printer. GSM just stands for Grams per Square Metre, in other words the weight of the paper. More often than not, the heavier the paper the thicker it is.

I'm a bit out of touch on the recommendation front, but you should be able to find the maximum GSM for your printer in the manual (or online).

Ian
saxon_image 10 282 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2013 12:07PM
190gsm is quite lightweight. I regularly use Fuji Multijet Glossy 270gsm on an Epson R265 without problem. It could be the texture of the paper that is causing the problem rather than the weight - I've had heavy bond paper jam printers in the past.

Paul
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
14 Jan 2013 12:21PM
190gsm is about the normal for photo paper, although you can get it down to 120gsm which is quite flimsy.
Matte paper tends to be thicker than gloss as its not so heavily crushed & polished, so I suspect your problem is thickness rather than weight. Look for a paper around 150 micron thickness, that should go through without problem. Unfortunately not all manufacturers quote the thickness, you have to shop around.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2013 12:23PM
Sorry, got my stupid head on this morning. Yes 190 is not heavy.

Doh!
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
14 Jan 2013 3:46PM
My Epson printer works fine with Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk which is 310gsm.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.