Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

suggestions for pistol grip /ball head /clamp

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
weseeyou
weseeyou  3112 forum posts
27 Jun 2012 - 6:19 PM

I need to attach my camera to some steel railings in my garden because there is insufficient room on the veranda for any kind of tripod.

I have attached a clamp/ bracket to the railings and now I need some kind of ball head or pistol grip type of mount for the camera .

I like the look of the old manfrotto pistol grip head which fits vertically under the camera as it keeps your hands well clear of your face when using the evf . i find that most of the typical tripod mounts have the vertical clamp arm coming right out horizontally at your chin which makes it very awkward to operate when looking through the cameras evf .

The newer type of manfrotto pistol style grip mounts have a horizontal pistol grip which also seem to come right out into your chin ?????

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to a suitable mounting solution please that is simple and quick to clamp and douesn't involve a clamp lever stuck in your chin.Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Jun 2012 - 6:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SEMANON
SEMANON  195 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jul 2012 - 2:01 PM

I'm also looking for a decent ball-head - got the legs, but having a bit of trouble finding a ball-head I'm completely happy with. Thinking about a manfrotto 496RC2.

weseeyou
3 Jul 2012 - 4:20 PM

yes but that is a ball head and I'm asking about a joystick type head which is completly different.
Have a look at the Manfrotto Manfrotto 324RC2 and you'll see what I'm referring to. Its a one handed operation with nothing to twist or turn

SEMANON
3 Jul 2012 - 5:01 PM

Yea, I know what you mean, I personally was having a bit of trouble finding a ball-head I was happy with & was asking for advice on any people had experience of. I have had a few that will 'travel' slightly when tightened up/ while tightening up (after composing shot).

justin c
justin c  104505 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 5:22 PM

Quote: I have had a few that will 'travel' slightly when tightened up/ while tightening up (after composing shot).

That's a common problem and known as 'ballhead creep', it's usually found on the lower end models. To avoid that you need to be looking at higher end models and brands such as; Arca Swiss, Really Right Stuff, Kirk, Aratech, Markins, etc.
They don't come cheap however and you can expect to pay aroud the £300 mark for a good quality ballhead.etc

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 5:26 PM

Generally, the bigger the ball in the ballhead the less likely it is to move on tightening, or sag under the weight of the camera.

Quote: I'd appreciate any suggestions as to a suitable mounting solution please that is simple and quick to clamp and douesn't involve a clamp lever stuck in your chin
Have a look at the Manfrotto Manfrotto 324RC2 and you'll see what I'm referring to. Its a one handed operation with nothing to twist or turn.

If you want a joystick type, then the handle is going to be under your chin (or, more exactly to the side of it). The only thing I can think of without having your hand under your chin is the video head but those are twist grip and you don't seem to want that. Can you give a better idea of what you are thinking of? Have you looked at the Manfrotto 222 joystick head?

I use the Manfrotto 484 medium ballhead (superceded by the 496-type) - I move the camera holding the body and when it is in position tighten up the ball screw.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 7:05 PM

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_quickgrip_action_head_with_1_4_20_quick_release_plate/ck7033

An alternative for you to look at, I've one out in the shed I haven't used for years along with countless other bits and bobs I keep meaning to put up on Fleabay......But just haven't ever got around to it....

Ade

mediaman
mediaman  4 Scotland
3 Jul 2012 - 7:06 PM

I would suggest using a monopod secured to the railings with cable ties...and a Manfrotto 222 head mounted on top.
Make sure tho, if you use this combination elsewhere..... to have something to cut your cable ties when finished Grin

mediaman
mediaman  4 Scotland
3 Jul 2012 - 7:18 PM

Quote: http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_quickgrip_action_head_with_1_4_20_quick_release_plate/ck7033

An alternative for you to look at, I've one out in the shed I haven't used for years along with countless other bits and bobs I keep meaning to put up on Fleabay......But just haven't ever got around to it....

Ade

This Manfrotto "lookalike" , unless it is an improved version, is not a good purchase.
I purchased one, exchanged it twice... then got my money back.
The bolt that attaches the top release plate holder, [vertically, through the fitting ] was not drilled 100% vertically...meaning the head of the bolt stopped the Quick release plate from seating properly.

weseeyou
3 Jul 2012 - 10:14 PM

thanks for all your feedback everyone.

I was considering the calmut ( manfrotto 222 lookalike) because it is for sale cheap at £30 on ebay .

I am reluctant to use an expensive Manfrotto Joystick head because it will need to be left out in the occasional rain shower due to the method of fixing .

I have welded a threaded spigot plate to the balcony railings and the joystick head will be threaded onto this and left in place for instant attachment of my camera. it is the best method for my purpose which is garden bird photography as I need a very rigid base with minimal movement if I stand any chance of some reasonable IQ .

Ade if yours is for sale perhaps you'd pm me with a price I might be interested in purchasing a spare head so that i can set up 2x stations.
thanks all
Nick

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2012 - 10:39 PM

There is a second hand Manfrotto one here if you are interested\\:

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-tripods-andamp;-supports/

weseeyou
3 Jul 2012 - 11:01 PM

yes i saw that Mike thanks but I don't think its worth that much imo. I can buy a brand new head for under £80 with 2x year warrantee and that one is being sold with a library picture of a new head so there is no way of telling what condition it is really in.
It either has to be under £35.00 ish or I'll just buy a new Manfrotto and have to set it up every time I want to use it .Sad

SEMANON
3 Jul 2012 - 11:43 PM

Quote: I have had a few that will 'travel' slightly when tightened up/ while tightening up (after composing shot).

That's a common problem and known as 'ballhead creep', it's usually found on the lower end models. To avoid that you need to be looking at higher end models and brands such as; Arca Swiss, Really Right Stuff, Kirk, Aratech, Markins, etc.
They don't come cheap however and you can expect to pay aroud the £300 mark for a good quality ballhead.etc

So would you advise against buying a manfrotto 496RC2 - its about 50GBP, and does have a bigger ball than my current ball-head, and single turn locking&friction control. 300GBP is a bit pricey for me currently - I'm not sure to whether to get this or keep mine & save up for something really good.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jul 2012 - 12:13 AM

Quote: This Manfrotto "lookalike" , unless it is an improved version, is not a good purchase.

Never had any problems like that with it, the only reason it's sat in the shed now is because I went over to the Manfotto 332rc vertical head!

I know this isn't strictly allowed as I should put it in the classifieds, but if anyone wants to send me a tenner for postage and you have the Grip for nothing!.....If you don't like it or want it, stick it on Fleabay and you'll get your money back easily!.....As I said earlier it's only in the shed gathering dust until such time as I can be bothered to Fleabay it or more likely take it to the local car bootie.....

Ade Smile

weseeyou
4 Jul 2012 - 12:22 AM

if you are serious about the offer I would like to gratefully accept . i've sent you a PM Ade thanks

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.