Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suggestions for system changes on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 8:06 AM

May I make a few suggestions for EPZ changes. I don't think they are controversial, as they are optional to the user at user-level. I appreciate that some of them may not be technically possible, but they are just suggestions. I also appreciate that staff here are very busy, but perhaps consider them in future if no resources are available now?

The last suggestion could perhaps be user-controlled at user level, so if you disagree with it you could simply not activate it in your profile settings.

1. QUOTE TEXT

When you do a quote text for both the gallery or the forum it does this...

snip4.jpg

It might be more useful to pull in the name of the original poster, and the date and time of the original post. It can be confusing not knowing who posted the original, and can take a while to find it in a long thread. Here is an example from another forum.

snip3.jpg

2. MESSAGE POP-UP

I seem to miss my PMs because I don't get a pop-up window when I log on telling me I have a new PM. Like this, from another forum.

snip2.jpg

3. GRID LAYOUT FOR GALLERY
The current 'latest comments' under PHOTOS/LATEST COMMENTS is a list going vertically down the page. The images are very small and the latest comment may not be the only comment that you have not seen since you last looked. It's a bit tedious scrolling down a long list. This is the current view...

snip1.jpg

Perhaps a grid would be a better viewing of this facility, without the latest comment given? You could have slightly larger thumbnails - I've seen several comments that say "this didn't look very good in the thumbnail, but I'm glad I looked..." It would be quicker to scan through the shots. Just have a larger thumbnail and perhaps the stamp of the user name and date/time of the last comment. Like this By: nonur 19/11/2012 - 7:50 AM At present, you can read in full all of the last comment. Some people may not bother to open the image, and will miss other previous comments that members have taken the trouble to write. By switching to a grid with no comment displayed (just the stamp) all comments will all be seen when you open the image to view. Here's mine on FLICKR to give an idea of what I mean in terms of layout.

snip5.jpg

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 19 Nov 2012 - 8:08 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Nov 2012 - 8:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 8:31 AM

Quote: May I make a few suggestions for EPZ changes. I don't think they are controversial, as they are optional to the user at user-level. I appreciate that some of them may not be technically possible, but they are just suggestions. I also appreciate that staff here are very busy, but perhaps consider them in future if no resources are available now?

The last suggestion could perhaps be user-controlled at user level, so if you disagree with it you could simply not activate it in your profile settings.

I messed up that into. It's only the last item that needs to be user-controlled (because some may prefer the list). I can't see any obvious objections to the first two so they could perhaps be standard for all?

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 8:32 AM

With due respect; don't you think it would be a good idea to enjoy the site as it is for a bit? You've been a member for barely 3 weeks; why not settle in a bit rather than immediately suggest way to change things?WinkWink It a bit like a pair of new shoes - it takes time to get them comfortable....................TongueTongueTongueTongue

This probably sounds like a negative - "get-back-in-your-Box" type comment but I hardly think you can start reinventing the wheel now. There are hours of discussion on the forum about making it better which you can read! Welcome to EPZ and keep posting! SmileSmileSmile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 8:43 AM

I can't say that i see the point of the third suggestion - why have something called latest comments and not show any comments? Seems blooming confusing to me.
If you want to browse the gallery by thumbnails, then that option is already available.

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 8:50 AM

Quote: I can't say that i see the point of the third suggestion - why have something called latest comments and not show any comments? Seems blooming confusing to me.
If you want to browse the gallery by thumbnails, then that option is already available.

Yes, it is, but there doesn't seem to be an option to filter 'latest comments'. I agree that would be the easiest way to do it, and that grid view is exactly what I mean. Perhaps it just needs another filter option for latest comments?

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 8:55 AM

Quote: With due respect; don't you think it would be a good idea to enjoy the site as it is for a bit? You've been a member for barely 3 weeks; why not settle in a bit rather than immediately suggest way to change things?WinkWink It a bit like a pair of new shoes - it takes time to get them comfortable....................TongueTongueTongueTongue

'Immediate' is now. Three weeks is three weeks. I can't see how the passage of more time will change some things. Don't you agree that a date/time stamp on quotes is a good idea? Or a pop-up for PMs? How long should I leave it before suggesting them? If it's a useful idea then it's a useful idea now.

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 19 Nov 2012 - 8:56 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 9:01 AM

Quote: I can't say that i see the point of the third suggestion - why have something called latest comments and not show any comments? Seems blooming confusing to me.

Yes, it is, but there doesn't seem to be an option to filter 'latest comments'. I agree that would be the easiest way to do it, and that grid view is exactly what I mean. Perhaps it just needs another filter option for latest comments?

Nope - now really confused. What is this page if not a filter for latest comments ?

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 9:14 AM

Quote: 'Immediate' is now. Three weeks is three weeks. I can't see how the passage of more time will change some things. Don't you agree that a date/time stamp on quotes is a good idea? Or a pop-up for PMs? How long should I leave it before suggesting them? If it's a useful idea then it's a useful idea now

But a passage of time allows you to get used to finding your way round the site. You may have missed/not come across a particular feature in 3 weeks!

There is a "pop-up" for PM's in the header top right next to your name a little envelope comes up when you have a PM ( I think you have to be a member for a month before you can receive/send them?).

A date time stamp for quotes? No, not really, the insert quote option clearly shows what your post is referring to; does it really matter who said it and when. You can go back through the thread and find it if you really want to know and put in in context..............

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 9:16 AM

Quote:
Nope - now really confused. What is this page if not a filter for latest comments ?

That is the current list view of latest comments. This is the grid view you mentioned, I think, when you said "If you want to browse the gallery by thumbnails, then that option is already available." grid view page But the options at the bottom of the page doesn't include 'latest comments' Or am I missing something?

lobsterboy
19 Nov 2012 - 9:19 AM

Quote: A date time stamp for quotes? No, not really, the insert quote option clearly shows what your post is referring to; does it really matter who said it and when.

I would like to see that - sometimes it's handy to know. Other times people quote stuff that isn't even in the thread & I find myself going back because I think I missed something.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 9:22 AM

Thanks Rob suggestions are always welcome, especially when illustrated as well as this

1 is already in an upgrade list and has been approved for inclusion but may be a while before it appears.

2 We try to avoid pop ups...it's preferred if you just get used to looking in the bar o ee if you have a message. It would be likle the door bell being rung everytime you get a letter. We all are used to checking the letter box area.

3 Chris he means just show a grid of photos rather than a page with thumb and comment. The thing is this was added as a way to view because it was requested, and is useful, but as you say other may prefer your way. I'll put that idea to the team. Our new way to avoid lots of huge wish lists is to to discuss all new ideas and either green light, put on hold for future consideration or discard.

lobsterboy
19 Nov 2012 - 9:37 AM

Quote: Chris he means just show a grid of photos rather than a page with thumb and comment.

Yeah but what is the point of showing latest comments as a grid? If you click on latest comments, don't you want to see the comments? You might just as well have a "view gallery as random thumbnails" option.

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 9:38 AM

I would hate EPZ to be like Flickr.......I left Flickr because it was full of nasty admins, people who thought they owned Flickr. I had hundreds of images on Flickr and used it everyday until it dawned on me what it really was all about. EPZ is a great site, with some great members and fantastic photographers in all genres, there are people who want to learn and are willing and able to learn their craft.

Why do people join and instantly want to change things to their way of thinking, EPZ may not be perfect (and neither am I) but for me personally it's a great site and I really enjoy being part of it.

PS Pop ups are incredibly annoying...........SadSadSadSad

lobsterboy
19 Nov 2012 - 9:46 AM

Quote: I left Flickr because it was full of nasty admins

What makes you think it's any different here....

{Insert evil laugh here}

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 9:50 AM

some interesting ideas...and always good to have fresh blood. Smile

I quite like the idea about the quotes..it is looking a little`aged' and doesn't allow you to `part' quote.

As to the PM `pop-up', I agree with Pete that we should avoid them..oh so irritating... but maybe the `envelope' could be a little larger so it's more prominent? Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.