Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suggestions for system changes on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56535 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 10:03 AM

I remember not so long ago the quotes box was adjusted to what it was, and I seem to remember one suggestion was to add the name of the author of those comments. This was rejected for tehcnical reasons if I recall. I thought it would be a good idea to have the name (it appears on other forums I visit) but to be honest I don't really miss it. So IMO nice if you can but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Regards the 'latest comments', I presume you are talking about comments people have made on your pictures (not comments you have left on other people's pictures)?
My assumption is that it is easier to use the same page template for both - if you want to do what you describe why not just go into your portfolio and open the picture whose critique you want to read. I presume this is equivalent to the Flickr page the way EPZ is set up gives you two viewing options.

PMs? A quick glance at the top right tells me if there is any activity on my picutres/posts (buzz) and if I have any messages. I don' t like pop-ups.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Nov 2012 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 10:08 AM

Quote: Thanks Rob suggestions are always welcome, especially when illustrated as well as this

1 is already in an upgrade list and has been approved for inclusion but may be a while before it appears.

2 We try to avoid pop ups...it's preferred if you just get used to looking in the bar o ee if you have a message. It would be likle the door bell being rung everytime you get a letter. We all are used to checking the letter box area.

3 Chris he means just show a grid of photos rather than a page with thumb and comment. The thing is this was added as a way to view because it was requested, and is useful, but as you say other may prefer your way. I'll put that idea to the team. Our new way to avoid lots of huge wish lists is to to discuss all new ideas and either green light, put on hold for future consideration or discard.

Thanks for that, Pete. On some forums you can elect to have a pop-up for PMs, or not, via your profile. I missed the email you sent me the other day because I don't check my PMs when I log on. That's the only reason I suggested the pop-up.

The first two I suggested are standard on VBulletin software (most other sites), which is where I got the ideas from, but you seem to use something different here.

Newdevonian
19 Nov 2012 - 10:19 AM

I agree about the OP's comments on quotes and quote date, It would be nice to trace the Quoter and the date.

BTW Cats123 You can part quote. Just delete the text you don't want.

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 10:20 AM

Quote: I would hate EPZ to be like Flickr.......

Sorry, I only included that screen image to show what it might look like. And, as Lobsterboy has already pointed out, the grid view on EPZ under PHOTOS/THE GALLERIES already is a grid view, just like FLICKR.

Quote: Why do people join and instantly want to change things to their way of thinking...

Firstly, it's not instant, it's three weeks. Second, I don't want to change anything to my way of thinking. I'm simply suggesting that a few changes which could be user-controlled (opt in/out) could be made available. The way that you interface the system could remain unchanged, as is the case with numerous facilities already in place - hide your presence on the system, suppress voting, hide threads etc). The quote text would apply to all, but Pete seems to have already adopted that, but not implemented it.

Quote: PS Pop ups are incredibly annoying...........SadSadSadSad

They could perhaps be user controlled through your profile.

Last Modified By MacroMeister at 19 Nov 2012 - 10:21 AM
Jestertheclown
19 Nov 2012 - 10:20 AM

Quote: Just delete the text you don't want.

Or just highlight the bit that you do.

MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
Other times people quote stuff that isn't even in the thread & I find myself going back because I think I missed something.

Good point! I didn't think of that one. That must be really confusing.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104025 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 12:50 PM

Quote: I agree about the OP's comments on quotes and quote date, It would be nice to trace the Quoter and the date.

BTW Cats123 You can part quote. Just delete the text you don't want.

as in this example...the whole quote drops in, but i only want the 2nd line........I don't think it drops hi-lighted text into a quote without using copy & paste....................... it's such a pain!! GrinGrin

Last Modified By cats_123 at 19 Nov 2012 - 12:53 PM
MacroMeister
19 Nov 2012 - 1:02 PM

Quote:
as in this example...the whole quote drops in, but i only want the 2nd line........I don't think it drops hi-lighted text into a quote without using copy & paste....................... it's such a pain!! GrinGrin

You're right - it doesn't copy the highlight formatting. I never noticed that before. But it does copy smilies and reconstruct them in preview and file.

Bizarrely you can do multiple quotes - if you do a quote, the go to another post and do quote again it copies both - one at a time.

Jestertheclown
19 Nov 2012 - 1:16 PM

Quote: I don't think it drops hi-lighted text into a quote without using copy & paste

You can drag and drop highlighted text. I've just done it with yours (for the first time!) but you still need to use the 'quote' icon to turn it into an erm, quote.

Alternatively!

click on the 'quote' icon in the comment box first, then drag and drop your text-to-be-quoted in between the '[quote]s.'

Or you could just copy and paste it, as we've always done.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 19 Nov 2012 - 1:22 PM
cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104025 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 3:48 PM

Quote: You can drag and drop highlighted text

you learn something new every day..Grin (dragged and dropped, of course!!)

Last Modified By cats_123 at 19 Nov 2012 - 3:49 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64470 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:03 PM

Quote: Add a Comment - learn something new every day

Well I never knew that before. Useful. Smile

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84292 forum posts England163 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:06 PM

Quote: I missed the email you sent me the other day because I don't check my PMs when I log on. That's the only reason I suggested the pop-up.

I always glance to that corner when I log on, to check if I have any 'Mail' (it doesn't take that much effort!). I don't think I'd want annoying pop-ups (my fire wall is set to disallow them!).

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 7:47 PM

You can also set your profile so that EPZ send a notification to your e-mail address if you receive a PM

petebfrance
20 Nov 2012 - 11:18 PM

What I occasionally find frustrating here is the size allowed for the photos. When I first got my magnificent 5mp camera I took loads of pictures of the sea and local beach and really enjoyed looking at them full screen - almost like being there, but not quite so wet and windy, enhanced by small details such as light on foam etc. A bit like 'getting inside' them, a really pleasant experience.
It seems a shame to use such a small part of the monitor, although I guess going E2 would improve things a bit.
Pete

Last Modified By petebfrance at 20 Nov 2012 - 11:19 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014851 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 6:35 AM

I'm blocking this one before I get involved.Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.