Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Suggestions for system changes on EPZ

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
MacroMeister
21 Nov 2012 - 7:29 AM

Quote: What I occasionally find frustrating here is the size allowed for the photos. When I first got my magnificent 5mp camera I took loads of pictures of the sea and local beach and really enjoyed looking at them full screen - almost like being there, but not quite so wet and windy, enhanced by small details such as light on foam etc. A bit like 'getting inside' them, a really pleasant experience. It seems a shame to use such a small part of the monitor, although I guess going E2 would improve things a bit.
Pete

It improves it a lot. When I open a shot it loads as max of 1000x1000px. If I click on the shot it changes down to max of 600x600px.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 21 Nov 2012 - 7:33 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Nov 2012 - 7:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104015 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 7:44 AM

E2 is well worth it Grin

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 9:47 AM

From comments made by management in other threads it appears that one of the upgrades being considered is displaying gallery photos "larger" i.e higher resolution and more than 1000pix in size.
It has even been suggested that images should be uploaded full size and then when/if the upgrade occurs those images would then be able to be viewed larger.

PS At 50p per week E2 IS worth it

Last Modified By Alan_Baseley at 21 Nov 2012 - 9:49 AM
petebfrance
21 Nov 2012 - 11:58 AM

Yes, 1000pix makes quite a difference from 600, and I often have to make drastic changes to pictures or not upload them at all because they do not work at all at such a low size and resolution.

Before joining EPZ I joined a 'group' on another site for 'artists' in Brittany, where I live. I upload paintings, digital 'art' and not accomplised photos to the site. The group turned out to be composed mainly of keen and very accomplished photographers and ran /runs regular competitions. All of the photographers produce(d) small images despite the fact that there is no size restriction on the site. It struck me as odd at the time, but on joining EPZ I just assumed it was how real photographers approached photography.

Actually, I don't mind, really. Vive la difference and all that. But it does seem, well, to be missing out on exploiting another dimension of the medium.

Pete

AlexandraSD
21 Nov 2012 - 12:33 PM

Nothing bugs me about this site aside from the PM's.

It would be nice to be properly notified of new messages at a glance without the need for a click, because i often miss messages for weeks. I know its a minor niggle, but you know how we use the net by now, we dont have time to click much because we have somewhere else* to click Wink

* On ePz of course, usually Forum> Recent Activity...

User_Removed
22 Nov 2012 - 10:47 AM

Once more I am frustrated in placing a comment / vote on gallery uploads. I desperately want to convey the difference between a photo I like, but don't want to vote on because it isn't good enough and a photo I do like well enough to vote on.

How about a sliding rating scale ONLY for when you comment? Completely separate from the whole voting thing.

As I understand it votes are for the readers choice award so giving a vote is not the same as saying you LIKE the photo.

I feel really bad commenting and then not voting, but I don't always want to vote because honestly while I might like the photo for some reason, it isn't always good enough for a vote, and I really want to convey to the photographer a sense of how good the photo is.

If you make the scale say 1 - 10 ONLY on comments then it is simply your rating of the photo. It doesn't go towards any total rating or comparitive rating. It is just your opinion of the photo.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 10:51 AM

Quote: I feel really bad commenting and then not voting,

Why this is a self imposed issue you have rather than a need for change in the site. I am happy to comment and vote without having doing both.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 11:01 AM

we had a 1 to 5 rating in the early days. It was abused - some members either gave 5 to up their friends or 1 for people they didn't like. Too much like hard work moderating it. So we axed the feature.

User_Removed
22 Nov 2012 - 11:28 AM

Quote: We had a 1 to 5 rating in the early days. It was abused - some members either gave 5 to up their friends or 1 for people they didn't like. Too much like hard work moderating it. So we axed the feature.

thats why I suggested it is only linked to the comment and does not go towards any kind of comparitive rating system. we dont need another voting system / comparitive rating.

I just feel really bad commenting and not voting because if the photo was good enough to open and comment then why am I not voting? But that pressure makes a bit of a mockery of the purpose of voting and means pictures can get votes and subsequently readers choice awards simply on popularity rather than merit.

I don't want to make a big deal of it in a comment by having to explain why I didn't vote, but I also don't like the pressure to vote with every comment - I mean even the way you have this big "place vote with comment" box immediately below adds to that pressure.

If you have a solution to the dilemma I'm all ears.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96289 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 11:33 AM

Quote: photo was good enough to open and comment then why am I not voting

But perhaps the image was not good and you had some constructive comments on the reasons why and therefore would not want to vote.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64366 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 11:41 AM

I can't understand why you feel "under pressure" to vote if you comment. Is it because you think people are going to ignore your work because you don't give them a vote? As long as your comments are sensible and you're not rude I'm sure they will be welcomed, with or without a vote.

I can assure you, many of us vote and comment on many people's images who we never hear a peep out of but that doesn't stop us doing it if we like their work. Some posters turn off their vote option as they only want comments.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It'll stop you doing anything at all and that's the worst option of all surely.
Smile

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43839 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 11:45 AM

I once received a PM from a member (not a connection nor anyone known to me) whose image I had commented on without leaving a vote, pointing out that I had forgotten to add a vote with my comment...I didn't bother replying.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 22 Nov 2012 - 11:46 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64366 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Nov 2012 - 11:50 AM

Quote: I once received a PM from a member (not a connection nor anyone known to me) whose image I had commented on without leaving a vote, pointing out that I had forgotten to add a vote with my comment...I didn't bother replying.

Malc

Grin I wonder if that was the same person who PM'd me about just that same thing. GrinGrinGrin

Last Modified By SlowSong at 22 Nov 2012 - 11:50 AM
User_Removed
22 Nov 2012 - 12:06 PM

Quote: I once received a PM from a member (not a connection nor anyone known to me) whose image I had commented on without leaving a vote, pointing out that I had forgotten to add a vote with my comment...I didn't bother replying.

Malc Grin I wonder if that was the same person who PM'd me about just that same thing. GrinGrinGrin

yes well see people do expect you to vote if you comment. And switching off voting just affects my photos not some-one who hasn't and whose photo I'm commenting on.

And don't tell me you don't feel bad if you're one of the first few to comment on a photo and don't leave a vote as well. It's super obvious at that point and kind of sucky.

User_Removed
22 Nov 2012 - 12:09 PM

Quote: photo was good enough to open and comment then why am I not voting

But perhaps the image was not good and you had some constructive comments on the reasons why and therefore would not want to vote.

comment is meant to be constructive and I try to be encouraging rather than discouraging and it's hard to be either if your making a point of saying "I'm not voting for you because...."

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.