Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

suggestions please for a low light lens for pictures of fish ,very low light almo...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fishermansteve
    fishermansteve New Member
    28 Aug 2014 - 9:25 PM

I am looking for a lens for a Nikon 3100 for very dark pictures of fish , thinking 1.4f 50mm or 35 but not sure ,the problem is that there is limited time to take photo ,flash bounces of the shiny fish and the clothing fishermen where are green army style clothing and hard to pick out from green bushes and trees .
    I would like to get both fish and person in focus as clearly as possible ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Aug 2014 - 9:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62481 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2014 - 8:43 AM

One part of a solution is to use an external flash off camera.
    With practice this avoids reflections from the fish and, if the fishermen are in front of the green bushes, they will receive more illumination from the flash and be separated exposure wise from darker exposed bushes.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73882 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2014 - 12:00 PM

I would concur with Lens advice. To see what's possible check out Joe McNallys work. If you check out the Empire State image you dont get much more challenging conditions.

I can highly recommend his book Hot Shoe diaries.

To experiment off camera get a couple of Yongnuo Rf603 receivers (one for camera and one for your flash)- there pretty cheap on eBay

Another good site to start with is Strobist

Other people to look at:
    Joey Lawrence
    Dustin Diaz

Last Modified By Nick_w at 29 Aug 2014 - 12:02 PM
    meyeview
    meyeview e2 Member 5592 forum postsmeyeview vcard Scotland
    29 Aug 2014 - 12:18 PM

increase your iso.

Chris_L
    Chris_L e2 Member 937 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
    29 Aug 2014 - 12:32 PM

I order lenses online, try them out carefully and return them if they aren't up to expectations. I think a 50 would be too limiting so would deffo go 35. Girl I know who does society photos and who sometimes works in candle-lit rooms swears that this is on a par with Nikon's own 1.4

Of course upping ISO is worth trying as is introducing more light.

If you use continuous lighting instead of flash (these are under 40 and come with four filters) you can see the effect in your viewfinder

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2014 - 9:43 PM

Bung in some flash and use your kit lens, you might need a little positive comp if using TTL against something shinny like fish so experiment and practice.

fishypic
    6 Sep 2014 - 10:18 PM

Steve,

I take lots of pictures of fish (when I can catch them ha ha) I use a 50mm 1.4 on a canon, and I find that the person taking the photo (normally me of mates holding fish) I wear a head torch and a couple of our light sources near them to bounce light onto them to help the camera focus, I always use a tripod and seem to get pretty decent shots that im happy with Smile

Hope this helps?
    58-cat.jpg

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.